Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Iain Bain Special

I was intrigued by Lamsons comments about the original dressing in an earlier post by Wormo. I am always interested in the history of a fly.
After a bit of searching I found a video on YouTube by Iain SB tying this fly. Is he the creator maybe? Tying an Iain Bain Special - YouTube
As Lamson says the tail is Biots, there is no tag and the hackle is a beard. Also the body is Holo Silver Sellotape rolled around the body.

Which version do you prefer?

Arthropod Wing Invertebrate Bait Electric blue

Hook - Black
Thread - Black
Tail - Yellow Goose Biots
Rib - Silver Wire
Body - Holo Silver Sellotape
Wing - Red GP Tippet
1st Wing - Grey Squirrel
Throat - Blue Hen
2nd Wing - Pearl/Blue Angel Hair, Black Squirrel
Eyes - Jungle Cock

Iain Bain Special (V)

Natural material Feather Wing Arthropod Insect

Hook - Black
Thread - Black
Tip - Oval Silver
Tag - GloBrite #11
Tail - Yellow Bucktail and Pearl
Rib - Silver Wire
Body - Holo Silver Tinsel
Wing - Red GP Tippet
1st Wing - Grey Squirrel
Hackle - Blue Hen
2nd Wing - Black Squirrel, Pearl Krystal Flash
Eyes - Jungle Cock

Attachments

· Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer the shorter tail version, although both look good.

Also have to point out I'm pretty sure the surname is Bain, not Baine,
You're totally correct. I only noticed it after I had posted and you can't edit a title :redface::redface:

· Registered
512 Posts
Something for the mods to look at regarding title editing.
It's a fly that has appeared everywhere over the past few weeks.
Met the man himself a number of times over the years on the Thurso, Halladale and even the tweed which I believe he frequents often.
A nice chap and very experienced angler ?

Back to the fly, I personally dont like jungle cock when dressing with g/p tippet, I find thay light/dark target spot has already been achieved with the tippet.

But then again I am trying to use less J/C,

· Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one Gary both braw fly's ?. But I much prefer the top one ??. He is indeed the creator of the fly and a very nice chap
Thanks Arnold. I like the top one as well, the biots give it a different look. The body was a b** as I could not get any of the sheet he used with the lockdown. I used some prismatic sheet that I have for sea pirks. A lot thicker and a pain to roll.

· Registered
51 Posts
Ian bain special

Hi all, sorry I'm late to the conversation, first time I've had a go at this:
I like the standard ian bain special, but think what makes it 'special' is the blue pearl angel hair is infact UV flashabou?
Looks it to me in his video?
I tried both versions with blue pearl and UV and the UV looks so much better in the water although not used them in anger yet.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.