Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was mulling this over the other day and thinking that it has happened to me quite a few times, more often than CPUE would reasonably predict.

In theory, you don't know the water and so it should perhaps be less likely that you would catch but I think this is countered by enthusiasm and excitement and possibly a lack of "prior history" of not having caught salmon in certain pools or stretches.

Important to note on all occasions there were fish around and the water was in good ply. No ghillie on any of them so effectively fishing the water with no prior knowledge or guidance.

The list for me so far is (in brackets if more than one salmon) :-

River Dee - Waterside and Ferrar, Headinch & Cambus O May, Upper Blackhall

River Annan - Hoddom (2), Cleuchhead (2), St Mungos (2)

River Nairn - association water

River Derwent - Cockermouth Anglers (3)

Would be interesting to know if others have enjoyed better than average success on their first visit to new beats.

· Registered
157 Posts
I personally think you have just as much chance as anyone,maybe even slightly better, i've seen myself fishing beats before & being told this pool or that pool not worth fishing at this height of water,but i have fished them anyway & often came away with a fish,as you'll be aware there's certain bits of water at different conditions & heights etc that produce more fish!!,but to be honest my logic is give all available water to you a good hammering,within reason of course.

Anyway what i'm trying to say is that i think you have a better chance of catching while fishing water you don't know,as you generally hammer it more rather than just fishing so called hot spots,whilst potentially missing a fish or 2 in other pools or lies that you'd usually walk right past on a water you know.

Cheers,Paul.

· Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a lovely 14 pound cock fish off Kercock on the Tay the first time I fished it.

I put this fish along with all others I catch down to pure luck ;)
Without doubt luck is the most important ingredient !

But I seem to be much luckier on average the first time I fish a new beat than my salmon fishing overall.

Just wondering if others had found the same.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Hooked three fish on new beats this year and only landed one ! I guess my luck ran out after the hooking bit.. try flogging the same spots repeatedly after and get nothing... I'm starting to think I fish lot better and methodical and try and read the water instead of just hammering away in desperation on a new beat.

· Registered
541 Posts
If you take a few minutes to observe the water you're fishing ideally from a high bank you can fair improve your chances, being able to read the water before you is IMO the greatest asset an angler can ever learn.
But having a bt ghillie to point you to the lye's will be the easiest route to success, but yes iv'e had some decent results on bts i had never fished before the most memorable being six in one morning on the Laxford which i had never fished in my life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.