Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, Just joined in the hope of hooking up (boom boom) with someone in the area for some Salmon fishing trips. I work from home so can pretty much go anytime. I'll be honest i'm a terrible fisherman. At least when it comes to Salmon and Sea Trout. I actually gave up for 2 years after trying for 5 years without a fish. Words cannot describe how sole destroying that was.

Anyway i'm back with renewed hope and I've been told by my Girlfriend that i need to find someone to go with, safety being the main issue and hopefully i can learn something new that might help me catch a fish. BTW i did once get splashed by a Salmon on the wear in Durham. That's as close as I've got.

Paul.

· Registered
649 Posts
Hi all, Just joined in the hope of hooking up (boom boom) with someone in the area for some Salmon fishing trips. I work from home so can pretty much go anytime. I'll be honest i'm a terrible fisherman. At least when it comes to Salmon and Sea Trout. I actually gave up for 2 years after trying for 5 years without a fish. Words cannot describe how sole destroying that was.

Anyway i'm back with renewed hope and I've been told by my Girlfriend that i need to find someone to go with, safety being the main issue and hopefully i can learn something new that might help me catch a fish. BTW i did once get splashed by a Salmon on the wear in Durham. That's as close as I've got.

Paul.
welcome mate,plenty sound lads on here,but beware of strangers offering to take you down the banks in the dark:lol:eek:nly joking barney,are you in any clubs.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Barney,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and also the offer of a night session. I would certainly give it a go. I tried on a famous stretch of bishop water for a couple of years where you wait in a line and one by one you venture down to the river and work your way along. I never had even a pull, and could never work out what i was doing wrong as there were many fish caught by everyone else.

Daventus, I'm not in any clubs yet, i'm happy to take advise on which one to join.

· Banned
1,226 Posts
Casting trips

As Rrrr states, most of us go on casting trips only these days !!

Paul.

· Banned
2,189 Posts
Denty?

Did someone say fish? or TWO?? Sounds good, who is this magically Taddy you speak of?
I know a denty from darlo not you is it? came to me old house two years back? or are yer a different denty?

Some nice words there by the lads,sat here with a lump in me throat all choked up :D

Well its beed a very dry season denty too dry in fact,the wear has had extra water but not the amount needed to flush the river and get the vast majority of fish running,but like ive said in a few posts over the years and last week or so,mutha nature lets no salmon down ever ! even if it flloods last two weeks in october trust me it will be a fish bonaza all the way till the end,fish will arrive no matter the water height as they always do when its been low like this and droughty,but them fish that will run on low water wont be bigger fish theyl be around 10Lbs - (Minus) with a scattering of odd bigger fish,but when that water does land esp after this long huge runs can be seen,check river wear/tees/tyne fish counts select the river of choice and take a look at monthly or yearly counts (over the years) Tees counter counts a tiny % of fish runs/wear counts nearly all in low water and misses quite a few in higher water as the fish can get past places that are usually dry when low but covered in water when high.TYne counters get i think nearly all fish unless it really flooded.
So for the Wear if ya seen huge runs for october and those runs continue till november that more or less suggests that is may have been a dry year,yer could back track and save the dates then compare with weather for that month in that year.

So are yer actually from durham city boundry or C/O Durham? i dont wnat to know your exact address just the vicinity so then i can if ya like point yer to places that are very local to yer-if yer want? let me know.....:thumb:

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Taddy :)

I'm a different Denty, some great advise there, so thankyou very much. I've lived all over, but for my sins and hopefully for not too long i live in Hartlepool. So it's a bit of a trek to get over to the Wear but my Parents and brother all live in Bishop so i get over that way at least twice a week.

I wonder, is there anyway of targeting Sea Trout and Salmon in the mouth of the rivers? Like Roker. I don't think you can get the Tess mouth as it's all factories. Any advise on anything to do with Sea Trout and Salmon is more than welcomed.

· Registered
2,781 Posts
Welcome, I'm on wrong side of Pennines to you but go with Taddys advice if I were you. If its fly fishing your after get some lessons before giving it your all. Goid luck!

· Banned
1,226 Posts
Tidal

In England and Wales, unless a private fishery exists in the tide, then fishing is public but still subject to an EA licence. E.G you cannot fish off So Shields Pier for salmonids without risking an action since that is a private fishery.

Access is what you must consider, but no-one can enforce an action on ground between the high and low water marks which might be the Crown's. I hope this is good ?

Do you do much fly fishing?
As for fishing the lower river mouths i have never tried . Once had a look in the Washington area but never bothered dont know who owns the rights.

· Banned
2,189 Posts
Partypool?

Do you do much fly fishing?
As for fishing the lower river mouths i have never tried . Once had a look in the Washington area but never bothered dont know who owns the rights.
Well i was once confined to Hartlepool after my divorce,i though go there for a few months then back to stockton,ened up staying there for 6 years ! time of me life lol.

But if yer want any sort of salmon fishing i know a place a short walk from almost anywhere in hartlepool this side of the pool that is,not hart village side !
Greatham !!!! yeah of all places,go down to the railway crossing and turn right through the farm yard (horse place) down past the last barn (hay storage place) then yer see the beck/creek,its tidal up to the first little bridge most the time,but ive seen the tide breach that tiny weir many many times,thats beck No 1 walk over the little bridge and the next one is only a few hundred yards but nearer now to Cowpen nature reserve,again tidal beck small weir etc.

Now ive seen fish here mostly st and walked them fields hundreds of times metal deteting,ive found flying C lure packets on the floor closer to greatham villgae so drive to the village follow the road out (bus route) just as yer leave the village yer go over a small bridge,the fields on the left is where ive found spinner packets many many time.....its quite narrow but good enough for a small spin set up,it has small browns i know of -never heard of any bigger ones but they maybe as im certain the beck goes under the A19 towards norburn woods thats other side of the road to ron perrys- so north bound carragway park in the 'Doggers layby' walk to the end and its the fields behind the petrol station this may lead to that big rezzy near trimdon.....

from now on river leven cross keys between yarm and thornaby,small weir fish are there now ;):thumb:;)
or come into ingleby barwick from thronaby route so first right at co-op garrage second proper left theys a tiny gap between houses down a steep slippy when wet muddy bank,gets packed with st in a flood down there and slightly down stream theys a small pool that SOMETIMES has odd st in when low...
Good for tiny spin set ups but expect chub,perch and pike as well as browns-never ever salmon always sea trout-but still its a very local start.

Yerve jumped on the band wagon just a month short,cos yer always got the Tees barrage ! yes i know its wide and very intimidating is too me after all these years,but its a hell of a place to learn and the fish are very very catchable-from newport brodge to the barrage area,theys some belting places between them two locations-some are dry as sticks in low water but when the tide floods them holes wow...

do ya have a license to fish for salmon? if so when the wear floods which may be in the next few days if the forecast keeps to its word,i could take yer for a tour/fish if ya like but that depends on one thing...first if yer a junior angler sorry cant do...i dont baby sit fishers....but other than that yer quite welcome to have a look out one day/evening ill pick ya up drop ya off as im super close to [partypool]

· Banned
2,189 Posts
THe Crown

In England and Wales, unless a private fishery exists in the tide, then fishing is public but still subject to an EA licence. E.G you cannot fish off So Shields Pier for salmonids without risking an action since that is a private fishery.

Access is what you must consider, but no-one can enforce an action on ground between the high and low water marks which might be the Crown's. I hope this is good ?
Doesnt some crown law exist for tidal waters? Dave Wilksinson?
Im sure gordon sinclair member posted a few years ago something on the grounds.

Tidal waters are or maybe the same as none tidal waters so at least ask before yer fish or look online,as for down in I.C.I land well thats out,scot bros have opposite holme house prison and they not letting yer walk about for health and safety reasons,then anywhere down stream of newport bridge os bloacked to the general public all the way to north gare seaton carew,the seal sanctuary is out for fishing in greatham creek for two reasons,one its a seal sanctuary and two if the tweeters (onrathologists) seen yer theyd string up up and then we would have a brand new 'Monkey story' again.

Boro side of the River well yer got from the barrage acklam beck area down to the dinosaurs,which is a place i see lots of fish DS ... from newport bridge down river boro side stand under the bridge footings,watch the tide fill up and the fish ALWAYS pass yer at the very side-not all fish but a good majority of em,same can be said for down river to the dinosuars and even transporter from port C side,its very very shallow banks and when the tide comes up its only say 8-12 feet deep which is very shallow for this far down,and when the tides on its way up yer can stand here and watch the fish bow wave up river :thumb: not ideal conditions and to the onlooker if they knew the water one might think that the fisher is er 'on something' but fish can be caught and hey if yer sat in the hoose doing nowt uts not that far to there from where ye are in pool.

Port C walk to the end pub just before the transporter toll bridge as yer go under the railway bridge theys a track public dog walkers etc use it step around the yellow gate or under neath it,,walk to the end of thr shallow bank some where near here is a blocked entrance for plant hire cranes etc usually two big concrete blocks,so when yer see them on yer left hand side yer in the right ball park-need to look at this at low water first,,,as at the end of the shallows theys a dry bay at low water and its staggered to as the tide floods it steps up accordingly filling up each section at a time,and fish use this a route,this is probly the very last of the tidal fishing till either seaton carew or paddys hold redcar steel works.
Funny cos just beofre paddys hole south gare where the last sharp bend is near Bsteel works theys HUGE SANDY BAY now ive seen fish show in here thousands of times both salmon and st but mostly what i would say looked like st as its always been dark when ive seen them,bass fishers some times fish here and so too do rag worm diggers etc....but its flat and sandy snag free and bass show here as well as st and salmon now i know its what 1.5k yards from the sea but,,it seems like a first stop to me,,ive never ever fished it yet for game fish...as i know nowt about catching salmon this far down river or in the sea....some one like rockhopper member may be able to help as he knows the bays around this area really well as he fishes for bass....

Now if Billingham beck was unblocked and fish could pass ICI land wow what a cracking little stream runs all the way to bishopton/Aycliffe areas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.