Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Norris are having a sale of the above at the moment. Anyone got an opinion on them?
I fancy a 10' #6 for use on the Wear, overhead casting where possible and single handed speycasting where necessary. I've got a #7 11' switch rod, would like something a bit lighter in the hand and on the water.
How much better or different is the elevation? No 10' #6 is not available as far as I can see.
Thanks

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.
I'm guessing these Stoked are newish and no one has used one yet. I've emailed JN asking for a phone call but just got a standard email back describing the trading conditions at the moment.
The only other 10' #6 available is the Greys GR60. Interestingly also a bit lower modulus than their top of the range rods, which I'm thinking makes for a better Spey casting tool?
Leaning towards the Guideline but would appreciate any feedback on the Greys.

· Registered
10,077 Posts
Not heard of them but guideline have been bringing out a load of new ones lately.
Just looking at them on john norris and it seems a really good deal with the reel and line.
I got the guideline laxa switch outfit last season and for being at the lower price of the guideline range its an absoloute peach of a rod.

· Registered
4,679 Posts
Bump.
I'm guessing these Stoked are newish and no one has used one yet. I've emailed JN asking for a phone call but just got a standard email back describing the trading conditions at the moment.
The only other 10' #6 available is the Greys GR60. Interestingly also a bit lower modulus than their top of the range rods, which I'm thinking makes for a better Spey casting tool?
Leaning towards the Guideline but would appreciate any feedback on the Greys.
I've got the Greys GR70 comp special in 10ft #7 as my go to single hander and love it. I use it for grilse, salmon and sea trout. I even use it when I take the bairns out for the rainbows in the summer evenings. I use a Barrio SLX line on it for the salmon and grilse and find it over head, rolls and Spey casts. Great line.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair play to JN, I just had a call back from them and after the conversation I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the Guideline, described as softer, more forgiving and better suited to Spey casting.
Mind you I now want a GR60 too!
That's another £150 gone due to this bleeding lockdown.
Paid another club subscription yesterday with no knowledge of when I'll be able to access the river (Avon) again but hey, they've got to pay their rents.
At least it's a 12 month membership, they extended my March renewal for month so I'm not going to loose much, that's a whole new discussion though.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
Fair play to JN, I just had a call back from them and after the conversation I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the Guideline, described as softer, more forgiving and better suited to Spey casting.
Mind you I now want a GR60 too!
That's another £150 gone due to this bleeding lockdown.
Paid another club subscription yesterday with no knowledge of when I'll be able to access the river (Avon) again but hey, they've got to pay their rents.
At least it's a 12 month membership, they extended my March renewal for month so I'm not going to loose much, that's a whole new discussion though.
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the guideline stoked rod as I am currently looking this too, also the elevation......love a light rod!
Cheers
Bobby

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not even put the reel on yet, it looks lovely and is certainly very light at 108 grams. (10' # 6). Hopefully will fill a gap in my armory, left by the loss of a few inches off the top of my trusty Shakespeare expedition. First 4 piece for me and cast DT #5 - 7 beautifully.
Miss it.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly still to use it as my wife is not very well but I have now got 2 new reels and lines for it and I'm getting very tempted to have a day out on a reservoir. Going up North seems fraught with uncertainty these last couple of weeks of the season.
Was thinking of starting a new thread asking exactly the same question, members must have some experience now there's been plenty sold.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, gave it a try in the garden just now with the Maxcatch single handed spey line #6 on a 7/9 Favo reel (for the extra backing capacity). Balances beautifully and roll casts a treat. I think I'm going to like this rod A LOT.

· Registered
3 Posts
Sadly still to use it as my wife is not very well but I have now got 2 new reels and lines for it and I'm getting very tempted to have a day out on a reservoir. Going up North seems fraught with uncertainty these last couple of weeks of the season.
Was thinking of starting a new thread asking exactly the same question, members must have some experience now there's been plenty sold.
Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.