Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
There are a few glaring errors in these episodes, as well as angling barely getting a mention.
The pearl fishing, he ought to have explained it was all being done under licence and if anyone else touched a pearl mussel they could be locked away and fined eye watering amounts.
I was speaking to the Ghillie at Granton about fresh water muscles.
Theres stretches of the Spey that have protected areas of them. He said the pikeys turn up and raid them so they are monitored. He also said the pikeys know exactly where all the protected areas are but also turned up and raided areas that nobody but them new existed. It’s information that’s handed down generation after generation.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Theres stretches of the Spey that have protected areas of them. He said the pikeys turn up and raid them so they are monitored. He also said the pikeys know exactly where all the protected areas are but also turned up and raided areas that nobody but them new existed. It’s information that’s handed down generation after generation.
All areas of Scotland are protected, they are Schedule 5

For fully protected Schedule 5 invertebrates, it is an offence to intentionally or recklessly:

• kill, injure or take a wild animal
  • damage, destroy or obstruct access to any structure or place which such an animal uses for shelter or protection
  • disturb such an animal when it is occupying a structure or place for shelter or protection
It is also an offence to:

• possess or control a living or dead Schedule 5 invertebrate
  • sell, offer for sale, or possess or transport for the purpose of sale any living or dead Schedule 5 invertebrate (or any such derivatives)
Knowingly causing or permitting any of the above acts to be carried out is also an offence.

If you are interested in the history of pearl Fishing there is a book called, Summer Walkers: Travelling People and Pearl Fishers in the Highlands of Scotland by Timothy Neat.

Eye opening !

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

Freshwater mussell beds are a lot more signifcant extensive than river board jurisdictions will admit to. Attached too to lampreys of a species - sea and brook - is a significant percent. Guess how much lamprey attach across a volume? Apols for asking as a d=ck

·
Registered
795 Posts
My job in late 80's took me all over Scotland and I used to stop at many riverside spots for a break. I remember the squad of men on the Spey wading in with their clear bottomed buckets and wading down, peering at the river bed. The wee beach above the new bridge at Grantown must have been a favoured bit.
There was an old film on youtube of them doing it at Gella bridge on south esk. I still see the odd empty shell lying on the banking up there, been a meal for a bird or otter.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
My job in late 80's took me all over Scotland and I used to stop at many riverside spots for a break. I remember the squad of men on the Spey wading in with their clear bottomed buckets and wading down, peering at the river bed. The wee beach above the new bridge at Grantown must have been a favoured bit.
There was an old film on youtube of them doing it at Gella bridge on south esk. I still see the odd empty shell lying on the banking up there, been a meal for a bird or otter.
I see empty shells on the banks of the southie every trip. I think the otters like them. Red braes is always a sure thing

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Thats the pool I've seen most otters at right enough. My mate who shoots on Cortachy says he saw a large sea trout up the Moy burn that had been stripped by an Otter. He said it would have been easy 5lb.
I found a Dead Sea trout on the banks of the southie at Brechin this year. Easy 8lb. It wasn’t an otter kill though not like this poor chap up gella bridge
Grass Plant People in nature Groundcover Grass family

unfortunately I found a double figure hen at the Tod holes that the otter had got. Eggs everywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts