Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Fresh Run Fish

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  nickolas 
#1 ·
I hooked and landed a spanking clean run grilse on the last day of October which I put back , I was wondering how long in the river it would take for it to be in spawning condition ?

#4 · (Edited)
I would guess it will be good to go by the end of November.
Apparently some of the very late season salmon in Cornwall (season ends 15th Dec) would be bright silver but ready to spawn.
Even on the Exe in Devon I would occasionally see silver fish on the redds high up on Exmoor in December. There were never many, just one or two in years of big runs. They stood out like a sore thumb, bluey/grey backed fish amid all the black, orange and red fish.

Andy

#7 ·
I would guess it will be good to go by the end of November.
Apparently some of the very late season salmon in Cornwall (season ends 15th Dec) would be bright silver but ready to spawn.
Even on the Exe in Devon I would occasionally see silver fish on the redds high up on Exmoor in December. There were never many, just one or two in years of big runs. They stood out like a sore thumb, bluey/grey backed fish amid all the black, orange and red fish.

Andy
I have caught hen fish on the Fowey in December with long tailed lice with eggs coming out of the vent.

#6 ·
I always heard the phrase that a fish caught in autumn is an autumn fish regardless of colour.

I was told that in many cases that some of the late running silver fish could spawn well before the coloured ones that have been in the river for months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.