Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 5. Rhutchinson19 (20yrs) - Orange Flamethrower

Votes: 10 37.0%
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Here goes;

I had a go at ruining a park shrimp this morning and this is what came out:

My jungle cock cape got attacked by my Dog so thats why theres no JC!

I know the picture and the fly arent very good but ive only tied about 40 flies and hopefully this will catch a fish when Im fishing up on the Ness in the last week of september!

Ingredients-
hook- size 12 gold double
tail; orange arctic runner, yellow arctic runner, orange arctic fox. (my flash was too thick for this size of hook and it looked silly)
Body; Gold lite bright dubbing, black floss stuff and a oval gold wire for the rib.
Wing black arctic fox
hackle; yellow and orange badger hackle
Head; Red tying floss.

Any advice on how to make it better would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Tom

Sorry guys, i forgot my age im 18!

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Great tie Tom, I imagine that fly will attract a fish or two. Nice neat head on the fly too, perhaps 2 more coats of varnish would see it last for the third fish.

Well done fella, will we see you enter the TOTM soon? ::)

Ade

· Registered
851 Posts
The Red goat

Dont have time to spend half an hour on a single fly at the min. but i'll fire this on. Good bit of red in it so should work for the back end. Hackle tied in sparsely and pretty straight on to give a pulsation..Called the red goat and i'm sure would work for sea trout too.

hook- size 9 salar
tail- red goat hair with flash
Body= Silver tinsel ribbed with thin silver wire
Wing- black squirrel tail
hackle- Black cock hackle
Head- Red thread

Cheers
Connor

PS: Im 17, so in the 14-21 category.

· Registered
848 Posts
The Orange Flamethrower

The Orange Flamethrower :

Hook: Gold size 9 salar
Thread: Uni 6/0 in orange
Tag: Small oval gold tinsel
Wing: Hot orange bucktail and pearl crystal flash
Body and rib: Uni neon hot orange floss and small oval gold tinsel
Head: Crystal Flash
Jungle cock eyes

Im aged 11

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Twinkle-Toes (Felicity)

My daughter (Felicity), insisted she wanted a go at entering, with a fly she tied amoungst a batch, using a dozen of my good hooks ..... when I was out fishing recently :rolleyes:.

She is 18 years old, and has seen me tying flies at the vice for as long, so it would not be unreasonable to expect her to wonder what is it dad does when he retires to the study every evening ..... so she's had a go and named her own fly "Twinkle-Toes". There's certainly a good bit of "bling" in it .... (Ron, might need some more tinsel flash soon :rolleyes:).

She doesn't have an account here and admits she's rarely likely to "venture on" to the forum, it was a conversation over dinner that prompted her to plead its posting. Who am I but a dutiful father :rolleyes:. I post this then, as her entery under my account. Who knows, she might take to it and open her own in time :eek:.

The Twinkle-Toes :

The Tying Pattern :

Hook : #9 Salar double
Tag : Nothing
Butt : Nothing
R/Body : Nothing
F/Body : Nothing
Rib : Nothing
[There's a sparse minimalist approach emerging here :D]
Wing : (Refer Hackle)
Hackle : Long yellow hen hackle (folded back), 11 strands crystal flash and long orange hen hackle (folded back) over.
Head : 87 turns black #8 thread and a good dollop of fishing glue to secure. Varnish ..... no thanks, keep that for the nails :rolleyes::D

(Tying Recipe published by Altmor).

For all it's "sparseness" and minimalist approach, I must admit as her dad, I might be temped to give it a cast myself one day ...... it has a profile that's pretty well there to attract a fish :) I think I should encourage her to keep at it :eek:.

Altmor.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Tomleslie16, good fly enrty there ..... should do okay on the Ness that one ;). Could you confirm your age on he post - just hit edit to your original entry and add a note, so we know which age group you'll be in.

Altmor.

· Registered
851 Posts
My daughter (Felicity), insisted she wanted a go at entering, with a fly she tied amoungst a batch, using a dozen of my good hooks ..... when I was out fishing recently :rolleyes:.

She is 18 years old, and has seen me tying flies at the vice for as long, so it would not be unreasonable to expect her to wonder what is it dad does when he retires to the study every evening ..... so she's had a go and named her own fly "Twinkle-Toes". There's certainly a good bit of "bling" in it .... (Ron, might need some more tinsel flash soon :rolleyes:).

She doesn't have an account here and admits she's rarely likely to "venture on" to the forum, it was a conversation over dinner that prompted her to plead its posting. Who am I but a dutiful father :rolleyes:. I post this then, as her entery under my account. Who knows, she might take to it and open her own in time :eek:.

The Twinkle-Toes :

The Tying Pattern :

Hook : #9 Salar double
Tag : Nothing
Butt : Nothing
R/Body : Nothing
F/Body : Nothing
Rib : Nothing
[There's a sparse minimalist approach emerging here :D]
Wing : (Refer Hackle)
Hackle : Long yellow hen hackle (folded back), 11 strands crystal flash and long orange hen hackle (folded back) over.
Head : 87 turns black #8 thread and a good dollop of fishing glue to secure. Varnish ..... no thanks, keep that for the nails :rolleyes::D

(Tying Recipe published by Altmor).

For all it's "sparseness" and minimalist approach, I must admit as her dad, I might be temped to give it a cast myself one day ...... it has a profile that's pretty well there to attract a fish :) I think I should encourage her to keep at it :eek:.

Altmor.
That looks like it would swim well in the water! Give it a bash next time you are out

· Registered
278 Posts
Orange Flamethrower

My last hurrah in any sort of 'Junior' competition. At 20, I suppose I'll be the senior entrant. Been tying the occasional fly for around 7 years. This is tied using hutchy1379's materials (which he doesn't know about yet as he's at school :p:D).

Hook- size 7 silver salar
Hackle- Yellow hackle
Body hackle- orange hen hackle
Wing- orange squirrel tail with flash
Body- half silver tinsel ribbed with silver wire, half black floss
Head- Red tying thread wrapped in pearl tinsel finished with UV varnish

Hopefully you can see it's my take on an orange flamethrower!

Cheers,
Ryan

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Foxy-Tails Material Ties - Sept 2010 Closed to Entries - Poll Open

It's the 14th of the month, which heralds the close to new entries, and for the next two weeks, you can vote on the flies posted.

As you'll be aware, this month is for JUNIOR tyers. Two groups, and a prize for each, so without further ado, here are this month's junior entries :

Under 14 yrs of age :

1. Fabregas9200 (11yrs) ; The Orange Flamethrower (full tying page 3)

14 yrs - 21 yrs of age :

2. Tomleslie16 (18yrs) - The Park Shrimp (full tying page 3)

3. Hutchy1379 (17yrs) - The Red goat (full tying page 4)

4. Felicity (18yrs) - Twinkle-Toes (full tying page 4)

5. Rhutchinson19 (20yrs) - Orange Flamethrower (full tying page 4)

There we go then, 1 entry in the sub-14 year age group, and 4 in the 14 - 21 year age group. Clearly Fabregas9200 is looking forward to a prize goodie bag, and well done you for entering at aged 11. But who will it be for the 14-21 age group. It's up to you guys, get voting.

A huge thanks to all the junior who took part and good luck in the voting stage. The voting will close on 28th September, so keep tuned ;).

Altmor.

· Registered
312 Posts
Great looking flies all of you! Oh to have young flexible fingers, steady hands and good eye sight again :D

Fabregas, congrats with the early win and to the rest of you good luck in the polls, you should really enter these little competitions more often from now on :)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.