Butt : Luminous Green Glo-Brite
1st Rib : Medium Silver Holographic with Uni Small Silver Tinsel
2nd Rib : Black Rayon Floss
1st Wing : Foxy-Tails Orange Artic Fox, Red And Yellow Bucktail
2nd Wing : Black Squirrel Tail
1st Hackle : Hot Orange
2nd Hackle : Golden Yellow
Flash : Micro Krystal Flash

Sorry for putting it in late. Forgot until an hour ago so had the hour to photograph and tie the fly. I'll have a better entry next month. It is also the first time ive ever tried to tie this fly!!

· Registered
361 Posts
smokin comet

Hi Guys
Some excellent entries so far lads keep up the good work.
Here's my very late entry to this months competition.
This one is for slow deep pools with not much flow in the latter part of the season. I hope you like it.

THE SMOKIN COMET

Tube : 1 ½" made up of ¾" flo red plastic tubing with 12mm silver plated brass tube at the front,
Liner : 1.8mm clear tubing, leave 10mm of the red tubing clear of liner for your hook to hold,all materials are tied on the 1.8mm liner tube.
Wing : Natural silver grey fox belly fur, tied zonker style
Under hackle: 10/12 turns of stiff Grizzle cock
Front Hackles : 3 turns of sunburst marabou, followed by 3 turns of flou red marabou, followed by 2 turns of natural guinea fowl at the front of the marabou.
Cheeks : AA Jungle Cock
Head : Black thread varnished 4 times

· Registered
312 Posts
Thanks guys, still lots to improve on though :eek:

Nice to see you got a fly in this month Fabregas :)

Cracking last minute entry once again Fishing Sanny!! I tied a fly with a zonker strip last month as well, really have come to like these type of flies and the fox pelts are nice to cut strips out of. I bet yours is super mobile with the soft fox belly and all the marabou hackling.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
CB

Nice tie indeed. In my head I've been looking at classics lately. I've seen people moving that way too, I think Heero is doing it right. I'm looking at classics tied with modern materials, I think it's very cool :cool:

Nicely tied CB

Ade

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Entries Closed - Poll now open for voting

Well, that was a fantastic flurry of entries towards the end, but as all good things, it has to come to a close. Hope there's not one or two left out there with entries, but I'd better get this done or my early morning meeting is going to be a long one :D.

Without further ado, the Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition, - November 2010 is closed and a Poll will now be at the top of the page for your voting, please click away and vote for your favorite tying.

Here are this month's fabulous entries, themed, every one of them on "Guy Fawkes" :

1. Dr. Burke - The Imperial Guard (full tying page 1)

2. Crispin - The Exploding NessC (full tying page 1)

3. Heero - Raccoon Dog Shrimp (full tying page 1)

4. Altmor - The Platinum Highlander (full tying page 2)

5. Madmax - Milly's Comet (full tying page 2)

6. CB - Fly for da man (full tying page 2)

7. Fabregas9200 - The Green Butt Cascade (full tying page 3)

8. Fishing Sanny - The Smokin Comet (full tying page 3)

There we are then, eight of the very best this month, it's going to be a real cliffhanger, so keep your votes piling in and we'll see the winning fly in two weeks time. Voting will close on 28th November as per norm.

A huge thanks to all who have entered and good luck as they say :).

Altmor.

· Registered
12,123 Posts
Its the Imperial Guard for me. Love red flies for autumn fishing and love my fishing in September and October. This fly just screams autumn at ye! :)

The Boar Bristles would give a lovely pulse and kick to the wing in the water.

Lovely fly Dr. Burke

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Great voting so far guys, keep it going, this has all the hallmarks of being a Foxy classic - really good entries and a battle to the finish. What all the entrants rely on is your vote, so click on your favorite and let's push the voting stats :cool: The voting closes on 28th Nov, so if you haven't decided yet, you've got good time yet.

Altmor.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Thanks Ade, glad you like it, I'm missing your entry though ;)
With work being mad, a wedding (me as best man), another stag do, daughter's 2nd birthday tomorrow and another wedding Saturday, all I could muster this month was a vote on your fly CB ;):cool:

All quality entries this month:)

I'm trying to find time to tie my Sir Tricky Dicky, but he's becoming trickier than I thought :(

Ade

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just checked, it sure is a close one this month! :eek:
Tight as a gnat's chuff in a sand storm ..... as they say :eek::D. Very good entries will always result in a nail biter to the finish line, and this month's no exception.

Voting will however close on Sunday coming at approx diner time, when I get round to relaxing on the Sunday evening :rolleyes:, ready to face a new week :D.

Until then, keep the votes pouring in, everyone who's entered will welcome those last minute votes over the weekend for a grand finale finish :).

Altmor.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Chef was delayed getting to the kitchens this evening, citing snow as his excuse. Consequently, diner will be served in 15 minutes, and all going well should extend for about 1 hour, giving time for the culinary delights and fine red to filter through to the digestion chamber.

That leaves this comp open till 9.30pm at the latest, at which point I shall close it down and announce our winner for November :).

Keep the voting going guys, and I'll see you all after diner.

Altmor.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Voting now declared closed - We have a Winner

Well, I reckon if I leave it open a couple more hours, I might sneak it :D. But in the interests of fairness and a tremendous tying by our CB, I have to declare the voting on the November Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition to be closed, and CB with his "Fly for da man" to be the winner with 13 votes.

Close thing to Fishing Sanny, and of course, moi, it's been a real hum dinnger this month, and a truly well deserved win for CB.

CB, if I can ask you (again :D), to pm me your address details, I shall have them passed onto Sue for your bumper goodie bag.

I'll leave you with the winning fly, tied by CB together with the tying pattern.

Fly for da man :

The Tying Recipe :

Hook: Partridge Bartleed Traditional 1/0
Tag: small oval silver tinsel and burnt orange floss silk
Tail: tippet
Butt: black ostrich herl
Back body half: medium oval silver tinsel
Front body half: Orange arctic fox mixed with white foxy flash
Ribbing: the medium oval silver tinsel
Palmer hackle: some of the brown/red side feathers of a golden pheasant
Throat: barred mallard flank rusty orange
Wings: black tip turkey slips
Eyes: jungle cock
Cheeks: cock of the rock (sub)
Head: rusty orange tying thread

Altmor.

PS, Next month's F-TMT competition, (December 2010), will open for entries in a few days, 1st - 2nd Dec. Keep tuned for details of next month's theme.

· Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for all the votes and the nice words guys! :eek:
There were some great flies entered this month, I really didn't expect to do so well and it shows that there was no clear favourite with how close the voting has been :)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.