Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Foxy-Tails Material Ties - November 2009 (All entries viewed on page 5)

• 1. Ballingall512 - The Temptress

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • 2. Klops - Shonguj

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • 3. Fishing Spirit - Nayat Dog

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 4. mdh - The Emerald Stoat Variant

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 5. Altmor - "Felicity"

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • 6. CB - Black 'n Orange Foxy Dog

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • 7. Highlander - NAYARITA – The Lady Highlander

Votes: 23 40.4%
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Damn! I got home later than expected last night and was too busy today to get an entry together. So after spending all week without my vice and creating flies in my head I never got to enter this months comp. I'll definitely be entering the next one though.

This was one of the hardest votes I've had to do, very hard to decide which one I liked the best as they are all excellent and I love them all, I would fish any of them with lots of confidence. :cool:

· Banned
419 Posts
Wow

I have so far been very quiet on this ...but now thought I would add my bit...
These flies are all brilliant...it's so good to see the Foxy products put to use...but to see them put to such excellent use is tremendous....
I am always amazed at the skill and dedication of all ...
Thank you all for your hard work and innovation...

I am going to carefully consider my winner for the Foxy packaging the choice is going to be a very difficult one....

All i can say is that if the monthly competition keeps up to this high standard....in 12 months time I am going to have a fantastic set of flies promoting the Foxy Products....
Thank you one and all

· Registered
312 Posts
Sue is right, exceptional ties all of them and it's certainly hard to pick a favourite. Great final entry Highlander!! I also really like Dave's pink creation, will definitely tie up some of those myself to use next spring! :)

Altmor, the dubbing is rather rough, firmer then seals fur but the effect is very nice when you tease it after ribbing the body. I think it works very well, give it a try.
(on a side note; what I like to do is loosely fix the ribbing, tease out the dubbing as I like, and then tighten up the ribbing before fixing it permanently)

Klops, thank you for the kind words, glad you like how it turned out, only been doing my own tubes for 2 months now so still lots to learn :eek:

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sue is right, exceptional ties all of them and it's certainly hard to pick a favourite. Great final entry Highlander!! I also really like Dave's pink creation, will definitely tie up some of those myself to use next spring! :)

Altmor, the dubbing is rather rough, firmer then seals fur but the effect is very nice when you tease it after ribbing the body. I think it works very well, give it a try.(on a side note; what I like to do is loosely fix the ribbing, tease out the dubbing as I like, and then tighten up the ribbing before fixing it permanently)

Klops, thank you for the kind words, glad you like how it turned out, only been doing my own tubes for 2 months now so still lots to learn :eek:
Good suggestion CB, I'll try that for my next vice session. Thanks again,
Altmor.

· Registered
312 Posts
Question for CB.....what set-up do you use to get such fine pics of your flies as this must be the best photo of the lot?
Thanks Highlander. It's nothing special, I use a regular office lamp shining on top of the fly and a diffuse light laying on the table lightly illuminating the fly from below to prevent excessive shadows. Other then that I make sure to set the white balance of the camera manually with a piece of white cardboard so that the colours are right and that's it basically. Sometimes I adjust the curves and maybe the contrast a bit afterwards before 'signing' and resizing but I didn't think it was necessary in this picture.

A 'white box' like this one would be really nice to have for pictures like this.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well it's close at the top, the margin being maintained by Highlander and his magnificent tying, NAYARITA – The Lady Highlander.

We're on the run in to the Competition close - scheduled for next Saturday (28th Nov), when we'll have our winner. So, if you haven't yet clicked on your favorite, don't forget, 6 days to go !!

Altmor.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
An excellent number of votes cast in this the inaugural Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition for November'09. There's still time left for any last minute voting as the competition will close tomorrow (around mid-dayish), at which point we'll have a winner. So, if you haven't voted yet, click on your favorite in the poll at the page top.

A very good entry list and quality ties, each and every one of them, all featuring Nayat material from Foxy-Tails. Let's see some more votes before we announce the winner :).

Altmor.

PS. Remember next month features Raccoon Dog, you can source this from the link in December's Foxy-Tails Material Ties comp thread, and I'll open the new thread for entries for the December Comp, around the 1st of December, for those who managed to beat the rush and get their Raccoon Dog early. Keep watching mid-month for announcement of January's material theme ;).

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Foxy-Tails Material Ties - November 2009 WINNER

There we have it Ladies and Gents, the inaugural Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition - November 2009, has closed, being as near to 2.00pm on my watch, as mid-day(ish) is in loose terms :D.

All entries, have grasped the essence of the Foxy-Tails theme here, this month being Nayat, a long, thin, willowy hair, most suitable for temple-dog and scandi styled flies, which glows a translucency through the hair and will maintain a very lively movement in the water.

It was close going all month with the voting for two of the entries, those being by CB and Highlander, but it is with great pleasure, now that the voting has come to an end that we can declare Highlander with his stunning tie, NAYARITA - The Lady Highlander, to be our very deserved winner for this November's competition.

Again for those who voted, a big thank you, and I'll leave you with a picture and tying recipe for the winning fly, for those of you who might want to try their hand at it :

Highlander - NAYARITA - The Lady Highlander :

Recipe :

Tube: semi-opaque, 2.5mm od, 30mm long - end heat flared
Thread: 8/0 white utc
Tag: medium oval gold tinsel
Butt: dubbed fluo yellow angel hair
Tail: fluo green egg yarn with 2 strands each fluo yellow mylar braid and yellow crystal flash
Body: rear ½ yellow silk, front ½ peacock flash dubbing
Body Hackle: yellow cock over peacock dubbing
Ribbing: medium oval gold tinsel
Wing: bright yellow arctic fox (FT), 4 strands fluo yellow angel hair, sunburst yellow marble fox (FT), peach marble fox (FT), orange raccoon dog (FT), 2 strands yellow crystal flash, fiery brown cashmere goat (FT), 2 strands flat peacock flash, black nayat (FT) over
Hackle: yellow dyed variant badger neck, chartreuse grizzle saddle hackle
Cheeks: jungle cock
Head: black silk
Varnish: clear

*materials from Sue @ Foxy-Tails designated with "FT"

A very well done Highlander, I'm sure I can speak for most, I think the result of the voting has been right in chosing this month's winner.

Altmor.

PS, The Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition - December 2009 will open with a new thread in a few days (scheduled for 1st Dec), and you'll remember, December's theme is Raccoon Dog, so don't miss out, and get your Raccoon Dog ties entered.

Sue will also announce not only the prize for November's competition, but has still to pick and declare her favorite, which, as stated, will be used on Foxy-Tails packaging in the future. Watch this space :).

· Banned
419 Posts
Foxy's Prize

I have to endorse Altmors comments.....a great first competition...thank you all for your contributions..... All fabulous flies and a credit to you all...

Now for my special prize:

This has been a very difficult choice...but for once I am going to go along with the crowd and award my prize to Highlander, NAYARITA - The Lady Highlander...so Highlander you have swept the board against some stunning competition.

Thank you all for entering and setting such a brilliant standard for the first of these competitions.

Highlander I will PM you tomorrow re the prizes...now I am off for a glass or two to celebrate your victory....CHEERS:D:D:D:D:D

· Registered
312 Posts
Nice one Highlander, congrats on the win! :)

Thanks Springer and all, I really didn't expect to get this many votes amongst all these nice ties so that was a surprise :eek: Let's hope the salmon like this one as well next season, in the end they are the final judge ;)

Also thanks to Sue for organizing. This has been fun and I'm looking forward to see what people will come up with next month tying with the raccoon dog.

· Banned
419 Posts
HUGE thanks (& big internet hug!) to Sue for the bag of goodies - already put to use for the December compo!

H
My pleasure Highlander....
You have stolen Klops thunder!! The Bright Orange Raccoon Dog is the very Special Raccoon Dog...he has been waiting for !! It arrived the day I was packing your prize so you have had the first piece from the batch !!
Its dyed on a Pure White species of Raccoon Dog which is quite rare ...its softer than the normal Raccoon Dog ...was interested in your email when you compared to Polar Bear...perhaps we at last have found something to provide a good substitute ....We have Orange, Red, Yellow and a little Kelly Green... i will try and get it on the website later...
A note to Klops...there is some on its way !!! We will do a comp using it next year...so you can submit that other fly you wanted to produce this month !!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.