Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Poll Open - Foxy Tails Material Ties - July 2010 (full listing page 2)

• 1. Fishing Sanny - The Drought

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • 2. Beel - Findhorn Fury

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • 3. CB - Green But Low Water Nayat

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • 4. Altmor - The Black Prawn

Votes: 17 51.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please use this thread to enter your flies to the July, Foxy-Tails Material Ties 2010 Competition.

The rules and general information re prizes etc., are as posted in the "sticky" post to this Thread.

July heralds the start of "true" summer for me, and we've been having a bit of a run up to "summer" weather since at least April on most rivers, with no more than a shower or two which hasn't helped either our confidence or the fish run from their estuary holds.

So, this month we'd like to see your favorite pattern for such "trying" conditions. Singles, Doubles, Trebles or Tubes, it's your call, but you must have in mind the prevalent conditions and tie accordingly.

A beautifully tied 2" copper tube with tungsten conehead, is, suffice to say, not what we're looking for this month, but "What You Feel Confident With" for a prolonged summer drought, shall be the theme, and should be borne in mind when voters are choosing their favorite tying ;).

This month we'll be looking to the tiers and the voters to think "theme".

The options are endless in reality, from small wispy size 15 salar doubles to micro / mini tubes, but don't forget that old favorite for summer "dourness" ..... the collie or sunray, and other than some "Tibetan Lamb";);), I managed to get my hands on, I've not seen a better material than Sue's Cashmere Goat for these long winged devils :).

So, to recap, tie your favorite confidence booster, naturally using one, if not more, of Foxy-Tails product, and voters, when the poll is posted on the 14th July, remember, we need you to think "would you be confident" in fishing the fly you've voted for in summer drought conditions ?

A twist to involve both tier and voter - let's see how it develops :).

For those of you needing to top up on Foxy materials, here's the direct link to the web site where you can order and recieve your materials by return :). http://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/

Altmor.

· Registered
361 Posts
Hi Folks
Here's my entry to this months comp
This one has done well for me in the past when fishing in the low water conditions we are currently facing at the moment on most rivers.
An excellent fresh grilse and sea-tout fly, possibly due to the considerable amount of blue in it, then again it may be the white and blue makes it look like a small sand eel to the fish? Who knows?:rolleyes:
Tie some up and give it a try, fish it in the conventional manner of down and across but also try fishing with it the same way you would with a sunray shadow or a monkey fly.:eek: remember to keep a good hold on your rod, for the takes can be explosive.
I Hope you like it.

The Drought

The recipe
Hook : size 14 silver ED treble
Thread ; red uni-thread 8/0
Body : dubbed underfur from black arctic fox tail
Hackle: 2 turns dyed teal blue grizzly cock saddle hackle
Wing : 6/8 barbs from a chartreuse cock hackle, 2-3mm longer than the hook, then an equal mix of white and blue shadow fox guard hairs (approx twice the length of the hook) then 2 strands of peacock herl on top.
Cheeks : small AA Jungle Cock
Head : Red

· Registered
361 Posts
A very competant looking catcher FS, well done :). What line would you recomend with this one, full float, sink tip or intermediate ?

Altmor.
Thanks Altmor glad you like it:)
The majority of the fish I've caught on this fly have been in low water conditions and I've been using a full floating line. When the water has cleaned up after a spate I usually put on a 10 ft intermediate tip.
Never tried it with a sinktip:rolleyes:
Tightlines FS

· Registered
228 Posts
Findhorn Fury

Here's my first go at showing a fly on here - please be gentle!!

I can't take too much credit for this pattern, the original came from the vice of Helmie and was created after discussing the merits of his mini TD's and the Jake Shrimp - a very effective fly on the Findhorn.

I have shown 2 versions which I pretty much fish with all season, the small plastic tube for low water and the conehead for after the spate - fingers crossed soon!!

Tube -Plastic
Body - Equal halves of Holographic Gold and Glo-brite Floss No4.
Underwing - Flourescent Orange Bucktail with a few strands of Pearl Crystalflash.
Overwing - Sunburst Artic Fox with a few strands of Mirrorflash.
Hackle - Fluorescent Orange
Eyes - Junglecock.
Head - Red Thread or a Conehead.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, if I'm not mistaken, you've got 24 hrs to get a master fly rattled up and entered to this month's Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition, so get going, let's see some "flurry entries" ......... might even do one myself tonight ;).

Altmor.

· Registered
312 Posts
Here's my entry this month, not what I wanted to post but I can't get the camera to work :(

I'll add the description later tonight if that's ok Altmor

For now here's the "Green But Low Water Nayat"

edit: As said this isn't the fly I tied for the contest but I'm having some problems with the camera ... It doesn't look like much but this is however a fly that has done well for me last year on a hot summer day. It's part of the 'green but family'. I tied up a few of these this winter using the (for me new) Nayat hair in stead of fox, gave them a wiggle already and they move great in the water. Very mobile and with a nice shine so I'd be confident fishing this on a hot day with low water.

The pattern:
Hook: Partridge CS4 double size 8
Butt: (Hends) fluo green floss
Body: flat silver tinsel
Rib: small over silver tinsel
Wing: black Nayat hair with two strands of flash mixed in on top
Hackle: black cock (hen is nice as well)

As said, it doesn't look like much but it's something I'm confident will catch fish. Hope you like it :)

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problems CB, post on the tying description in due course :)
(probably best to "edit" your post and it should come up with the fly pic).

In the meantime, I've not got long to enter mine ........ keep tuned :).

Altmor.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Black Prawn

Here's my entry, tied on a size 11 salar double, and which I've christened "The Black Prawn", as a junior sibling to that famous Ness fly, the Black Shrimp, as originally tied by John Cathcart.

The Black Prawn :

The tying recipe :

Hook : Black Salar double, size 11
Thread : Red Sheer 14
Tail : Guard tails off black arctic fox (Foxy-Tails), with 2 strands crystal flash over and orange arctic fox guard tails on top (Foxy-Tails), with shorter "fur" black fox on top (Foxy-Tails)
Tag : Gold oval small tinsel
R/Body : Yellow Pro dub yarn
R/Rib : Gold Oval small tinsel
Mid Hackle : Orange badger cock
F/body : Black Pro Dub Yarn
F/Rib : Gold oval small tinsel
Wing : Gold angel hair with small "pinch" of Black Arctic Marble Fox over (Foxy-Tails) and two strands of crystal flash over
Eyes : Matching pair of russet JC
F/Hackle : Black cock, two turns
Head : 1ct fishing glue on red sheer 14 thread, followed by 2 cts clear Sally Hansen varnish

Hope you give this one a go - it gives me all the confidence I need for summer fishing :)

Altmor.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Entries Closed - Poll Open

Well, we're approaching the midnight hour, so I can officially call a close to this month's Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition.

So without further ado, here are the entries this month, in the order they have been posted so you can vote on your favorite pattern in the poll at the top of this page.

1. Fishing Sanny - The Drought (full tying page 1)

2. Beel - Findhorn Fury (full tying page 1)

3. CB - Green But Low Water Nayat (full tying page 1)

4. Altmor - The Black Prawn (full tying page 2)

There we go folks, four great entries, and each worthy of a summer salmon. Please vote on your favorite pattern / tying, I know a good few of us are away on holiday / fishing but your participation is what makes these competitions, so kindly sponsored by Sue at Foxy-Tails :).

So get clicking - you know you want to :D.

Altmor.

· Registered
312 Posts
Great looking fly Altmor, those 'Willie Gunn' colours should do the trick I'd say ;)

Probably lot's of people out fishing but even though it's small it's a quality selection of flies guys! Will be hard to pick a favourite :)

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A couple of day to go in the poll, we close on Wednesday 28th, so if you haven't voted yet, now's your chance to participate. Get clicking guys, I know we can muster up more than 20 odd votes between us :):cool:.

Thanks again,

Altmor.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Foxy-Tails Material Ties - July 2010 - Winner

It's approaching the stated close for voting to the poll, and having just closed down the TOTM comp (June), I'm now declaring a close to the Foxy-Tails July Competition ..... as I have an early start in the morning :eek:.

A quick look-see at the poll results suggests I might have pipped it this month, with "The Black Prawn".

I'd like to thank everyone who has participated, both in entering and in voting, (particularly those who voted :D), and in normal tradition, I can leave you with the winning tie, picture and recipe, for those that fancy giving it a go on the vice.

The Black Prawn ;

The Tying Recipe ;

Hook : Black Salar double, size 11
Thread : Red Sheer 14
Tail : Guard tails off black arctic fox (Foxy-Tails), with 2 strands crystal flash over and orange arctic fox guard tails on top (Foxy-Tails), with shorter "fur" black fox on top (Foxy-Tails)
Tag : Gold oval small tinsel
R/Body : Yellow Pro dub yarn
R/Rib : Gold Oval small tinsel
Mid Hackle : Orange badger cock
F/body : Black Pro Dub Yarn
F/Rib : Gold oval small tinsel
Wing : Gold angel hair with small "pinch" of Black Arctic Marble Fox over (Foxy-Tails) and two strands of crystal flash over
Eyes : Matching pair of russet JC
F/Hackle : Black cock, two turns
Head : 1ct fishing glue on red sheer 14 thread, followed by 2 cts clear Sally Hansen varnish.

The Foxy-Tails Material Ties - August 2010 Comp will open on the 1st / 2nd of August for new entries to be received.

Altmor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.