Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Foxy-Tails Material Ties - January 2011 - Poll Open (full listing page 4)

• 1. Fruin - Willie Gunn

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 2. Heero - **** Craw Turbotruder

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 3. Pendejo - Phatagorva

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • 4. CB - Combi Foxy fly

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 5. Dr. Burke - Winter's Hope

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • 6. Klops - Spring Monkey

• 7. Ally G - Toshette

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 8. Altmor - NessCSunset

Foxy-Tails Material Ties - January 2011 - Enter Here

10K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  pendejo 
#1 ·
Please use this thread to enter your flies to the January 2011, Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition.

The rules and general information re prizes etc., are as posted in the "sticky" post to this Thread.

The November Competition was for Guy Fawkes enthusiasts, and the theme for December was "Christmas".

Let's face it, we're all getting a bit tired of wrapping paper, trees and bonfires, so for the start of the year and the start of the season, let's see a bumper entry to this month's Foxy-Tails Competition.

No theme .... just tie what you want with at least one Foxy material in the make up. I'm thinking I might do one myself this month, (if Foxy allows me :D), so there you go, there will be at least two entries this month, me and Fabregas, who sadly missed the junior comp for December, owing to not having a suitable tube pin.

I'm looking forward to seeing your entry this month though Paddy :).

Any tying will do, whether you have in mind a deep swung springer catcher or a high water summer secret, we all want to see them, so get tying and get posting :)

For those of you who need to top up, you can of course order any materials through the Foxy-Tails web-site, linked here for your convenience :

http://www.foxy-tails.co.uk

As a reminder, a poll will open on 15th January 2011 for voting, at which time the competition will close to new entries.

Two weeks then, so get tying, and let's make the start of 2011 a belter for new inspirational flies that will catch us all some fish for the next season.

Altmor.

See less See more
#2 ·
A week to go guys to get your Foxy Fly tied and entered. Remember, there's no specific theme, just tie what you want (provided it contains some Foxy material), and post it up.

We'd also welcome the junior members to enter here, the quality of their tyings is superb.

Altmor.

#3 ·
Ok, I'll pitch in with a Willie Gunn type fly tied on a Skittle Tube.

Tag - red Glo Brite floss
Body - golden olive angel hair tied in a dubbing loop near the front of the tube.
Wing one - sunburst arctic fox with golden olive angel hair over and under.
Wing two - orange arctic fox with golden olive angel hair over.
Hackle one - hot orange.
Hackle two - fluo yellow badger.
Final wing - black arctic fox with peacock herl/sword over.
Cheeks - jungle cock.

I can never make my mind up whether the photos are better with the flash on or off, so I've provided both...

#7 · (Edited)
I am trying something new. I got shown up by an old guy :D on my favorite steelhead river this winter by a guy who swears by natural/crawfish colored flies so here is an intruder type fly tied with finn raccon (Foxytails Raccoon Dog) to hold the profile.

**** Craw Turbotruder

Dry and wet (in a bowl):

Recipe:

FITS tubing.
Back collar/butt -

Raccoon dog tied tips forward and allowed to spin around the tube then pulled back and tied down.
Olive French Partridge

Body - Flat Holo
Front collar/wing -

Raccoon dog tied tips forward and allowed to spin around the tube then pulled back and tied down.
Olive Marabou
French Partridge

Cheeks - Jungle Cock
Turbo Disc.

Its holds its large profile (with not many materials or bulk) very well in the water and will move really well with that disc. I think itll do.

#9 ·
Phatagorva

Recipe:

Tube: Medium orange and extra-small black
Rear Body: Gold flat braid
Front Body: Salmon supreme rainbow black
Body Hackle: Hot orange badger
Rib: Copper flat braid (Twisted)
Wing: Fiery brown arctic fox (Tied in 2 layers)
Wing Flash: Rainbow flashabou and rusty olive angel hair (Tied in between the arctic fox layers)
Overwing: Brown cashmere goat
Front Hackle: Black cock hackle
Cheeks: Jungle cock
Head: Copper cone head

#11 ·
Nice flies guys! Heero, really like that intruder, have been playing with those myself for the pike over here and will give them a try for the seatrout/salmon as well this season :) Altmor and Fabregas, where are your flies? ;)

Here's my entry for this month, nothing fancy just simple fishing flies for the upcoming season. These are destined for teacoloured water of the Scandinavian forest rivers :) It's my version of Kim Sørensens 'Combi Fly'. I've been tying zonker flies for some years now and really like how they move in the water, the rubber disc in the back of the fly works the same as a turbo disc in the front, it kicks up the wing and makes it move extra tantalizing.

Combi Foxy fly

Body: black plastic tube with orange hook holder and a clear plastic disc
Tag: orange fluoro fibre, tapered and fairly long
Rear body: golden braid
Front body: Foxy Flash (from Foxy Tails)- Fiery Brown mixed with White
Wing: Yellow zonker strip, brown Marble Fox (from Foxy Tails), some strands of a brown ostrich plume. I mixed a few strands of holo flash and gliss-n-glow gold in the wing as well, keep it sparse and these will show very well once in the water.
Front hackle: Olive pheasant rump under a brown cock hackle - wind on a bit of the fluffy part as well.
Cheeks: Jungle cock nails, I've tried a few different colours - as always you can leave these out if you want but I think they add a little extra to these type of flies.

Hope you like them, the fish will be the real judges in a few months time ;)

The zonker strip is tapered to form a tip in the end to encourage extra movement.

A few variants waiting for a last coat of varnish before they join their friends in the fly box ;)

#13 ·
Winter's Hope

Looks like I'll break from the tube theme we have going here. Really like all of the ones posted so far. I tied this one up a bit back and it's been working pretty good this fall and winter so far. Love the original featherwing version of this pattern.

Recipe:
Hook - Alec Jackson 2061 size 1.5
Tip - Small Oval Tinsel
Tail - GP Crest
Body - Silver Mylar Flat
Rib - Small Oval Tinsel
Wing - Yellow Arctic Fox and yellow krystal flash, then orange Arctic Fox and orange krystal flash, then yellow arctic fox and yellow wing n flash, then topped with orange nayat
Collar - Kingfisher blue schlappen and purple schlappen
Eyes - Jungle Cock

Andy G.

#16 ·
Thanks for the comments guys :eek:

Andy, smashing entry once again! The yellow/orange wing and the blue/purple hackle really play together nicely. Is the size 1,5 hook a size in between a size 1 and a size 2 or do they follow a completely different sizing system? Just curious as to how big these flies really are :)

#18 ·
Thanks Andy - as you can guess I haven't tried the AJ hooks yet ;) The one's you used have a real nice shape though so I just might have to look into some of these.

I hope the fish will show some interest in the Spring as well Highlander ;) You entering a fly this month?

#20 ·
spring monkey

Spring Monkey

Tube: Skittle , covered by pure silver , paint red
Hackle : Sunburst yellow cock
Wing: Cashmeare goat dyed yellow, black silver fox, gold angel hairs , monkey subst., peacock, black fox body fur
Cheeks:JC

This is big spring version of this successful fly.

#22 ·
:)

I like shape of Monkey even not like tear drop but more like tadpole.
Relative bigger front and this long and movable tail.
It is why last layer is short and made from soft body fur.
And what is important in my opinion not too much flash.
Normally I put only 2-4 gold angel hairs . It is enough.

#25 ·
This is my entry, I don't have a name for this one but will be happy to take suggestions.

Tube: 1 Inch Copper
Body: Rear half golden floss, front half black floss
Rib: Charterause wire
Throat: yellow Schlappen
Wing: Arctic fox green , yellow and black with some tinsel
Head: Black floss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.