Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Foxy-Tails Material Ties - August 2010 - Poll Open (full listing page 1)

• 1. Strathglass - Cascade Variant

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • 2. Sinktip - Green Highlander Variant

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 3. CB - The Puppy Fox

Votes: 11 36.7%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please use this thread to enter your flies to the August, Foxy-Tails Material Ties 2010 Competition.

The rules and general information re prizes etc., are as posted in the "sticky" post to this Thread.

August can be a bit of a hit or a miss month these days wherever you're fishing, as it's starting to bring the browning of the leaves, yet can still reach mid 20's temps on the gauge. Evening temps can plummet too, so is it a tube month or is it a hook month. We'll let you decide :).

This month we'd like to see your favorite pattern for August, tied the way with which you have the greatest confidence, with the added detail of where you'd be fishing it in August, what river, what beat.

So, get tying and load them up, with a note on where you'd fish them :).

The entries will close on 14th August, at which time a poll will open for voting, so good luck to all who take the challenge :).

For those of you needing to top up on Foxy materials, here's the direct link to the web site where you can order and receive your materials by return . http://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/

Altmor.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sincerely hope in the preceding 5 days you've all been whittling up some absolutely crazy patterns for the Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition.

This stays open till 14th August, so let's see some, before I enter a late submission and scoop the bumper prize ..... without any competition ;):D:D.

Believe me the prize is well worth entering for, I've had a chat with Sue recently, (charming lady), and she's got a few exciting new "strands" up her sleeve for us all, I can't wait till they're available from the description I've been given.

All will be revealed later, I'm sure, and this may herald the introduction to the market of something very special, so for now, get tying and post your entries, let's see them :).

Altmor.

· Registered
312 Posts
Not sure if I've heard the same as you or not but I'm looking forward to see what new products will be offered for next winters tying :)

People are probably out fishing? I've seen your late entries and it might be useless but I'll try and enter something I'd fish for sure ;)

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:D:D ... nice one CB, I'll hold back from entry if I see a good turn out ;) :D:D. Accepted, between holidays and fishing the current months don't offer "extra time" for tying ... I know :rolleyes:, but I've decided to change all that, and MAKE the time .... go on everyone, you know you want to :).

Get out your bed, get thinking and show us what you can do .... some of the best tying time I get is with the morning lark chirping .... great time for inspiration. Give it a go, get up and start tying, you'll feel better all day for it ;):).

Nothing would please me more than to see a dozen entries clambering to the poll .... so come on, let's see what you've been tying, I want to see some Foxy specials .... give them to me !!!!! In the words of the great Ian Dury ... "Hit me with your Foxy stick" :D:D.

Altmor.

· Registered
4,275 Posts
Well seeing as my wee Cascade type fly seems well received by both forum members and fish alike I thought I would get it in here to get the ball rolling.

Here are a couple of other pics...

As far as the theme goes well this fly has already taken a couple of nice August fish for me and I will happily fish it on my next trip which is likely to be later in the month.

To be honest I will likely fish this fly til the end of the season given fair conditions, confidence is half the battle! :)

Recipe -

Hook: Size 9 Silver Salar
Thread: Uni 8/0 Fire Orange
Tail: Fluorescent orange deer belly hair mixed with fluo yellow bucktail and a few strands of copper lite brite/angel hair.
Tag: XS Oval Silver tinsel
Butt: Fire Orange Tying Thread
Body: Medium Opal Mirage Tinsel, one coat of hard as nails to protect.
Rib: XS Oval Silver Tinsel
Wing: Black Arctic Marble Fox(Supplied FOC in a previous order to FoxyTails!) with a few strands of rainbow Flashabou under.
Hackles: A few turns of Sunburst Dyed Badger followed by Orange Dyed Badger over.
Cheeks: Jungle Cock
Head: Tying thread with couple drops of Zap-a-Gap followed by Hard as Nails.

· Registered
720 Posts
Green highlander variant

Lovely tie Strathglass heres my entry a Green Highlander variant tied for a up and coming trip to Norway where im reliably informed its a good fly for the time i'l be there

Hook, Size 9 salar
Thread, Black
Tag, Oval gold tinsel
Butt, Peacock angel hair dubbed
Tail, GP crest
Rib, Oval gold tinsel
Body, Holo gold tinsel
1st hackle, yellow cock
Under wing, yellow fox, coulpe of strands of gold angel hair
2nd hackle, Green highlander cock
Over wing, Green silver fox
3rd hackle, Black cock
Head, Black

· Registered
312 Posts
Great entries guys, would be very happy to fish those flies! I guess all the rest is out fishing? Altmor, you still coming with a last minute entry to crush us all? :D Here's mine, thought I'd do a tube again ;)

This is a small fly and is tied with a coloured river and still little water and high water temperatures in mind. I was hoping to go fish the Skjern Å system (in Denmark) this month but I don't think I'll make it so not sure if this one will even be used this year. Anyway, here it is:

"The Puppy Fox"

Tube: Eumer black with red inner tubing (all the fly is tied on the red tubing and the black is just to hold the hook)
Tail: Topping
Body: Copper 'glitterbody'
Hackle: red hen, doubled one turn to keep it sparse
Wing: Silver fox with some strands of red angel hair mixed in
Eyes: Jungle Cock

Simple as that, if it wasn't as small it would be real easy to tie :eek:
Here's another picture to illustrate the size, the treble is a size 12

Hope you like, good luck everybody both in the contest but of course also down at the rivers :)

· Registered
4,275 Posts
Great entries guys, would be very happy to fish those flies! I guess all the rest is out fishing? Altmor, you still coming with a last minute entry to crush us all? :D Here's mine, thought I'd do a tube again ;)
Lovely fly CB, too wee for my big fingers that one. ;)

Looks like Altmor's left it open an extra day - bet he's busy at vice creating another foxy masterpiece! :D

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Foxy-Tails Material Ties - August 2010 - Now Closed.

:D:D ... No guys, I was returning from a few days holiday yesterday, from the far east ..... Crail, to be precise :D:D.

I haven't had the time last night to "rattle one off", and technically I'm now time barred, so will close this Comp down now to all new entries, and get the poll up for voting :).

Tough call again this month, even with the fewer entries than normal (suspect there's still a good few on hols), but I'd happily fish with all these entries, they all shout "fish", and confidence is half the battle :).

Please use the above poll to vote for your favorite fly this month, and a big thanks to those who did manage the time to enter.

This month's line up comprises the following :

1. Strathglass - Cascade Variant (full tying page 1)

2. Sinktip - Green Highlander Variant (full tying page 1)

3. CB - The Puppy Fox (full tying page 1)

Altmor.

· Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Strathglass :) These are indeed tiny, it's amazing how small a fly the fish will react to on some days!

No worries Altmor, to bad you didn't find the time to add one as well, wouldn't have minded if you snug one in a little late ;) Hope you had a nice trip, did you do any sea fishing around Crail?

As for the voting, you'd think it would be pretty easy with only two to choose from ...

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Nice to see your ties fellas, I've voted already :D

Sure has been lean the past month or two regarding entries, but that's because we've been out there utilising the flies tied with Sue's fantastic materials. I've met Sue and been to her office, she has us in mind when sorting out the finest materials with our best interests at heart.

I'll get myself together after finding the time for a fly swap, and hopefully offer something up for September.

Thanks Sue

Ade

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Foxy-Tails Material Ties - August 2010 - Winner.

Guys and Gals, we have a winner. This month, whilst not the most prolific in terms of numbers entered (come on guy's .... have you seen the prizes :)), the quality of all flies has been excellent.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure to announce who I think is a "newbie" to the winner's podium, (please correct me if I'm wrong), it's Strathglass with a real stunning variant of the cascade.

I say that because I've witnessed it's prowess, within 2 hours of arrival at the river - it had two gleaming bars of silver on the bank. It's a belter of a fly and a wee bird tells me it might have been getting a good swim on the River Glass today, at the top of the Beauly system ;);).

So a big thanks to Strathglass for entering his Cascade Variant, and I'm sure it will go on to catch many more to add to the existing tally :).

In traditional style, her is the winning fly and pattern :

Winner - Strathglass
Fly - Cascade Variant
Tying Pattern - as follows :

Tying Pattern :

Hook: Size 9 Silver Salar
Thread: Uni 8/0 Fire Orange
Tail: Fluorescent orange deer belly hair mixed with fluo yellow bucktail and a few strands of copper lite brite/angel hair.
Tag: XS Oval Silver tinsel
Butt: Fire Orange Tying Thread
Body: Medium Opal Mirage Tinsel, one coat of hard as nails to protect.
Rib: XS Oval Silver Tinsel
Wing: Black Arctic Marble Fox(Supplied FOC in a previous order to FoxyTails!) with a few strands of rainbow Flashabou under.
Hackles: A few turns of Sunburst Dyed Badger followed by Orange Dyed Badger over.
Cheeks: Jungle Cock
Head: Tying thread with couple drops of Zap-a-Gap followed by Hard as Nails.

Well done Strathglass, now if you would kindly PM me your address details, including full name, I'll pass them onto Sue at Foxy-Tails so your prize "Goodie Bag" can be dispatched in due course.

A huge thanks to all who participated and to those who have taken the time to vote - much appreciated :).

Altmor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.