Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Poll Now Open - Foxy-Tails Material Ties April 2010 (Full listing page 3)

• 1. Blue Zulu - Blue Zulu Conehead

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • 2. Pendejo - Kåddis Templedog

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • 3. Mr Fishin - Cashmere badger

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 4. Ade - Bit of Blue for the Dads

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • 5. Fishing Sanny - My Greenlander

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • 6. CB - The Pink Marquis

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • 7. Altmor - The Spey Goat

Votes: 10 20.8%
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Enjoy Altmor

I got 3 cases of Dee Dram limited edition delivered to me by mistake today! Well over 500 quids worth.

But I did the honourable thing and got them on their way to the rightful owner!

Please tell me I did the right thing :confused:

Ade

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You did the right thing Ade, and if fortune favors the honorable, the rightful owner should reward you with at least a bottle of that fine dram ;):D.

Now the reason my sausage rolls took so long tonight ..... well I'm all aqua-sured up (from doing the waders), and I thought I'd slip a "late" one in for the comp, so here it is the "Spey Goat".

I thought it would be worth a go, as I'm on Tulchan on Friday and Wester Elchies on Saturday, so I'll give it a swim and keep you all posted :).

The Spey Goat :

The Recipe

Hook : Salar Single Silver
Tag : Gold medium tinsel
Butt : Fl Fire Orange 140 Veniards with 3 turns peacock herl over
Tail : Golden pheasant crest
R/Body : Red Pearl Flashback Tinsel
Mid Tag : 3 turns peacock herl with orange badger cock hackle over
Sub Wing : Sunburst Yellow arctic fox under burnt amber arctic fox with 4 strands silver angel hair between
F/Body : Yellow pro dub yarn (fine)
Rib (R&F) : Gold small tinsel
Top Wing : Sunburst Yellow arctic fox with 2 strands fine pearl flash tinsel over and fine layers of yellow cashmere goat under orange cashmere goat under brown cashmere goat, topped with golden pheasant crest
Throat : Soft Purple hen hackle
Cheeks : Matching small JC nails
Overhackle : Orange badger cock
Head : Olive green sheer 14 thread with one coat fishing glue and two coats sally hansen's clear "hard as nails" varnish over.

Altmor.

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Foxy-Tails Material Ties - April 2010 - Poll now open.

Well, here we are, I've tried to stretch it to the end on the 14th April, the official closing of the Foxy-Tails Material Ties Competition - April 2010.

:D:D .... If truth be told, I've been up to my armpits tonight, all because I'm trying to do a couple of things in preparation of a visit up to Speyside at the end of the week.

Thus, without further ado ..... (drum roll maestro), here are the entries to April's Competition, in the same order as posted :

{Needles to say, if you've not got your entry posted already ... you're too late :D}

1. Blue Zulu - Blue Zulu Conehead (full tying page 1)

2. Pendejo - Kåddis Templedog (full tying page 1)

3. Mr Fishin - Cashmere badger (full tying page 1)

4. Ade - Bit of Blue for the Dads (full tying page 2)

5. Fishing Sanny - My Greenlander (full tying page 2)

6. CB - The Pink Marquis (full tying page 2)

7. Altmor - The Spey Goat (full tying page 3)

That's them all guys, you know what to do now, click on your favorite, and you have till the 28th of the month, before the winner is known :).

Again, a huge thanks to all who have participated, lets get behind them all, and show a big voting turn out ;):).

Altmor.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
I really like it when they're all put together at the end, but I keep on looking at mine and thinking I could have done it better when comparing the line-up.

I also realised that mine is called "bit of blue for the Dads", that was from Peter Kays' joke and I had intended to give the fly a name, but on reflection I think I'll stick with it :cool:

Although unlikely, if it got the most fish this season, and ended up featured in T&S, it would be a giggle :D

Thanks for making the time to put this together again this month Altmor

Best of luck to all, they are all winners for me

Ade

· Registered
312 Posts
Nice last minute addition Altmor :)
Not as many entries as I was expecting to see with this material but it sure is all quality stuff!! Well, apart from that silly pink one that is :p Hard to pick a favourite but I went for the Umeå fly in the end, lovely fly that I think will be very effective in the Swedish forest rivers.

And thanks Sanny, let's hope the fish agree :)

· Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Ade, glad you like them :eek: Really love the waddingtons you've been turning out lately, the blue one here is certainly no exception! :)

... I keep on looking at mine and thinking I could have done it better when comparing the line-up.
I guess we all feel a bit like this, or at least I thought the same when seeing my picture in there with the rest ;)

· Registered
312 Posts
What are you talking about? You got a vote, it's right there :)

Seriously though, I don't think there's anything wrong with your fly? It's a stiff competition but I'd definitely fish that one with confidence :) The cashmere goat is great for long winged flies, the movement and shine of the material in the water is amazing.

· Banned
4,165 Posts
Altmor got my vote this time as I have a liking for traditional looking patterns to this day.:)

Very nice flies allround again. I didn't have any goat hair to hand ...........
maybe next time;)

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Doon Rod, I gave the "Spey Goat" a swim when I eventually arrived up on the Spey last Friday, after my horrendous day with car trouble in getting North.

It swims very enticingly and why it didn't pull a fish, I don't know. Saying that though, everything seemed to be against me that day, so it's no surprise really.

It will be getting a proper outing soon, but I might need to get a fishing bud to do the driving bit ..... just so we get there without a hitch, I don't think I could go through that again :D:D.

Altmor.

PS, Got the car back now, all done under warranty, but what a waste of a day when I should have been hauling them out from the mighty Spey.

· Registered
955 Posts
Mr Fishin, I really like your fly, I don't know, but it looks like a very decent well tied fly, and use of materials in my opinion is interesting. I'm a fan of that fly :cool:

Cheers

Ade
Well bloody vote for it then :D:D:D:D:D

Seriously tho', thanks for the comments :). When I looked at the pic I felt the wing was too long but when I gave it a swim it actually looks pretty damned good (To me it did anyway, just need a fish or two to see it and give their oppinion ;) :D).

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Well bloody vote for it then :D:D:D:D:D

Seriously tho', thanks for the comments :). When I looked at the pic I felt the wing was too long but when I gave it a swim it actually looks pretty damned good (To me it did anyway, just need a fish or two to see it and give their oppinion ;) :D).
Sorry Mr Fishin, I'd already voted, but your fly was a close second ;):D

I'm sure the Lune salmon will vote soon enough ;) Tight lines

Ade

· Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Voting closes Wed. 28th April.

Wow ... tight at the top, and there's been a bit of "toing and froing" over the last week. Great to see the number of voters increasing, but we can still do with more.

For those who haven't voted yet, please do so, your vote means a lot to those who have entered and provided "deadly fish catching patterns" for you all to replicate.

2 days to go then, let's see some more clicks on the voter's poll, and run this one to the wire :)

Altmor.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.