Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
12,117 Posts
My next door neighbour fished nothing else. He made his own so had boxes full of them.

He put very few fish back anyway. He was just of that age that putting fish back was a completely alien concept.

As he got older and his eyesight deteriorated, the ones he couldn't get the hooks out of, he'd knock on my door to come round to his shed to get him his spinners back.

I went round one day and he had 4 grilse laid out and you couldn't even see the eye of the spinner in any of them. I removed them with my forceps through the gills.

This was in no way a one off either.

I've had to kill one fish since 2010 that bled when I removed a fly. There were days that the worktop in his shed was like a slaughterhouse.

I really have nothing against anyone using any legal methods. Be they spinner, fly or worm. However, when I see and hear people say that the flying c doesn't deep hook fish, I'm sorry, but I know that to be completely wrong.

· Registered
244 Posts
I used to do a lot of upstream spinning with flying C’s and I’m struggling to recall a deep hooked fish. I always fished them with a double hook rather than the treble too, hooked and held just as well.

However, anyone who fishes them downstream should be shot. I tried it a few times and three out of four fish were hooked in the gills.

Andy

· Registered
52 Posts
I think that some of the fly only brigade exaggerate stories of deep hooked fish with the flying c to justify their argument that they don't want people spinning or catching more fish than them. Deep hooking can probably happen with most methods at times. I've also had a fly only guy complain to me that I shouldn't be using the vision 110 (tay set-up) that I had on, as it always deep hooks them, to this day i've caught a lot of salmon on the vision and never had a problem. He also complains that "raking spinners through the pools scares the salmon" even though i've caught plenty usually before he bothers to turn up. I much prefer spinning as this is what I was brought up on even though i have caught and hooked fish on the fly. They just don't want anyone else in their way doing anything different. Also I think that a lot of fly fishers play a fish far too long especially if they don't have anyone to net it for them as its very difficult to net them yourself or control a fish as easily on a fly rod which makes it difficult to revive them properly..

· Registered
1,286 Posts
For the whole of Wales including the River Severn (which is mostly in England), spinners are restricted to barbless singles only. That is just one hook point! The only exception is on plugs which are allowed up to three barbless singles in place of the three trebles on the boxed item. Although it doesn’t stop the deep hooking I think one tail hook allows more chance of hooking in the scissors and it certainly makes it much easier to release fish. See from 2 minutes 10 seconds and on.

On the downside it does however mean more missed takes and fish lost in play although since the regulations came in 3 years ago I haven’t had enough fish to statistically verify this.

Finally on the subject of deep hooking, whatever method we use it is part and parcel of salmon fishing. I have seen deep hooking with all the known methods including fly and the only way to avoid this is not to go fishing in the first place.

· Registered
12,117 Posts
For me personally, deep hooking of fish and damage to fish are two completely different things.

The only fish I've had to kill in the last 12 years bled after removing a size 8 single. The fish bled like a pig with its throat cut.

I've had fish take flies deep that didn't bleed when I removed the fly with forceps.

That was never the case when trying to remove a flying c that far back in the mouth.

· Registered
5,386 Posts
I really havent had an issue with deep hooking salmon on the flying c.
I prefer an upstream cast, but do all.
Had a couple deeply hooked, but as i said had one on the flee as well.
I have deep hooked a good few seatroot in big water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts