Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
876 Posts
At least off the tv.
Not as good as him dropping dead but I will take it.
Unfortunately only for 3 months.
Burnt out ?
Who knew speaking crap was so tiring ?

· Registered
11,789 Posts
Saw this earlier. Cant help thinking that this will simply part of his ongoing management of the product that he is.
See post 8 above. He may be in a position where he can't manage his 'product' anymore after May this year.

Allegedly, he's told and published a whole load of porky pies to garner financial support for himself and his causes....perhaps the BBC are getting wind of this and have already have given him a 'holiday :rolleyes: ' from the telly?

Packham is a clear and present danger to any of us involved in field sports. I'm surprised he hasn't been axed from the Beeb before now as his 'innuendos' are almost Saville like at times.

· Registered
2,793 Posts
Yes he maybe off the TV but think of the damage he could do dreaming up more extreme anti countryside persuit initiatives whilst making his sculptures of whales and seals...

Reactions: westie4566

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Some of the stuff they come up with on Winter Watch is rubbish. They mentioned yesterday putting logs of straws over weirs to help the elvers up and were doing this in the winter. What a waste of time and effort. Don’t they know the elvers come into the rivers in April May and June! Don’t they also know elvers travel up the wet sides of weirs and have been doing so ever since the bloody things were built. Also they travel overland through grass in wet conditions as this is how they end up in lakes and ponds that have no connection to the sea. If they want to help then try the Barnes Wallis method on the weirs

Another time they talked about trawling for salmon at sea. Trawling!!!

· Registered
11,789 Posts
Some of the stuff they come up with on Winter Watch is rubbish. They mentioned yesterday putting logs of straws over weirs to help the elvers up and were doing this in the winter. What a waste of time and effort. Don’t they know the elvers come into the rivers in April May and June! Don’t they also know elvers travel up the wet sides of weirs and have been doing so ever since the bloody things were built. Also they travel overland through grass in wet conditions as this is how they end up in lakes and ponds that have no connection to the sea. If they want to help then try the Barnes Wallis method on the weirs

Unfortunately the uneducated believe all the crap they spout word for:mad:

· Registered
76 Posts

It was the Scientists from the Forth Rivers Trust who were doing the work with the Elvers, all the BBC did was report their work, if you watched it(quite fascinating actually), their electro fishing showed exactly what is going on in the river. Those Elver ropes have been in use in English rivers for a long time to aid elvers getting over vertical sluice gates, that's not a new idea. Eels travel over land not elvers, certainly not over a large distance. Trawling for Salmon does take place certainly in the Bering sea, the Japanese trawl the seas and catch Salmon too.

· Registered
76 Posts
I’ve never heard that trawling for Atlantic Salmon and around the UK & Ireland and on the high seas the problem is has or had always been Drift netting.
I'm sure there were Salmon being trawled around Iceland at some time in the past, they were found by accident as no-one knew back then where the fish actually went to, I think it was back in the 1970's or 1980's, memory isn't as good as it was.

· Registered
13,198 Posts
I'm sure there were Salmon being trawled around Iceland at some time in the past, they were found by accident as no-one knew back then where the fish actually went to, I think it was back in the 1970's or 1980's, memory isn't as good as it was.
It would be very hard to catch salmon by trawling. The faroese fishery, to which I think you are alluding, is a long line fishery and most salmon fishing at sea is gill netting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts