Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried to dye a natural grey squirrel tail fluro red.

Did pre warsh it and dried it to.

No had many problems doing buck tail.Would it of been worth dying it a pre colour first so it would take.

Sewinfly. ........

· Registered
8,613 Posts
I did a squirrel tail Flo Yellow a few weeks back. It can take a bit of time for what seems such a small piece of material but every hair/material is different.

I also find Red very hard to get to take, it could be the dye i'm using (veniards) but generally it takes a stronger bath solution and bit more heat/time to get it going.

Orange or Yellow would be a good base colour if you're over dyeing Red but it will give a slightly different shade to just Flo Red on it's own. I like to add a bit of Hot or Flo Orange to my Red mix as I do Flo red to Hot/Flo Orange. Just alter the ratio to get the dominant colour you want . Hair Head Plant Tree Feather

Attachments

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a squirrel tail Flo Yellow a few weeks back. It can take a bit of time for what seems such a small piece of material but every hair/material is different.

I also find Red very hard to get to take, it could be the dye i'm using (veniards) but generally it takes a stronger bath solution and bit more heat/time to get it going.

Orange or Yellow would be a good base colour if you're over dyeing Red but it will give a slightly different shade to just Flo Red on it's own. I like to add a bit of Hot or Flo Orange to my Red mix as I do Flo red to Hot/Flo Orange. Just alter the ratio to get the dominant colour you want . View attachment 27137
Cheers Faughan Purple

Sewinfly

· Registered
5,862 Posts
Floro colours are some of the most difficult.
Make sure you wash the tail very well, I use Synthrapol. Give it a good rinse, no need to dry.
Make a very strong dye bath and bring it to the boil. Let it cool down a bit, so you don't damage the hair, and add plenty of vinegar.
Put the tail in and keep stirring and checking how well the dye takes, it looks a lot darker when still wet. Add more dye if needed. Sometimes it is best to leave it standing for hours.
As FP says it can be best to add another colour. It is a bit of an experiment.

· Registered
5,862 Posts
Hi Gary

I thought the vinegar added last to seal the colour.

Thanks
Sewinfly. .......
You can add it at any stage, we all have slight differences.
I find adding it at the start seems to help the dye take better. Just my way of doing it.

Nice bright red there FP . PM me the mix please.

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can add it at any stage, we all have slight differences.
I find adding it at the start seems to help the dye take better. Just my way of doing it.

Nice bright red there FP . PM me the mix please.
Was following some instructions from T&S I had from a long time ago.
will try it t the beginning.
Thanks
Sewinfly. ........

· Registered
5,862 Posts
Leave the synthrapol in the dye its not only a degreaser but a disperses the dye also helps the dye get right through hairs to dye materials
Agree with the Synthrapol as it is so pure but for those who don't use it wash the hairs/feathers very well to remove any detergent/soap.

· Registered
876 Posts
If you are wanting to dye squirrel tails solid colour, (without the barring) you will have to bleach the tail first with peroxide paste.
Get a blonde dye mix or speak to a hairdresser and get some of the peroxide powder to make into a paste.
Paint it through the tail and leave for a few minutes, constantly checking it, if you leave it too long it will go frizzy.
Rinse thoroughly in cold water, dry with hair drier and it will be a solid gingery/blonde colour and then it will take any colour you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.