Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Beat me to it Brian.

More here: Freemans Reach Hydro scheme - Renewables First

Shocking if they leave it like that. They must be able to add grills at the top and smaller grid mesh to stop Migratory fish from ascending or trying to run that screw as seen in the video shots.

There is no way a fish can run that rotating auger so why leave it like that is beyond me.
I am suprised the owners cant be forced to stop it immediately. If a small farmer damaged that many fish with silage discharge he would be fined into near bankruptcy I would guess.

Bombarding the local MP and EA branch with links to the video might help, plus local TV, newspapers etc etc

That must be a lot of fish over 24 hours

· Registered
358 Posts
Reply from the Angling Trust !!!

Thank you for your email which has been passed to me by the AT. I have watched the video in question, which is not nice viewing. We are currently engaged with our members in putting a response back to the latest correspondence we have received from the EA which will try and get them to see sense and engage properly as the regulator. I anticipate that FL will publish a further press release after we have written to the EA so please check our website and any postings to you from FL.

If you have any evidence personally of witnessing damage and, more importantly, death of the fish as a result of entrapment I would be keen to hear further, but I can't enter into a full blown correspondence on this matter , as you will probably appreciate.

Thanks for your interest, we are all too aware of the strength of local feeling about what we consider to be a strong example of negative impact of a hydro scheme on the water environment.

Regards,

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Suspect a grid small enough to stop fish entering would become blocked with small twigs and weeds (crisp packets, sanitary wear) within a few shorts hours and effectively block the flow.

Unless damaging migratory fish is acceptable, the design seems fundamentally flawed on first impressions (without seeing it in the flesh.

The EA and owners are stuffed in a way with modern video clips and technology. In the past they could have strung this along for 6 or 7 years; two years of denial, site visit with local MP and councilors in third years when no water, more denial, another MP... seventh year something happens.

Fortunately nowadays an undeniable / irrefutable video clip, emailed and cc. to the EA, MP, local newspapers, greenpeace etc. (timed and dated), puts them in a slightly tricky position.

Nb. Cant imagine the EA would appreciate the accidental discharge from sewage works being retained in view on a vertical fish grid structure; fished the Wear once a few miles below Durham and the lower branches and bushes seemed thick with various forms of litter from the last flood (as I recall).

G

·
There was a letter sent by Fish Legal a few months ago which you can read here.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...gg5MAg&usg=AFQjCNELpnabqTptZtj_pIY2uo-_7LcVAg

All I would say in addition to what has been posted is that if you see anything on or near the river which is clearly not right, get your smartphone out, take photos, take video, take notes and report it to your club. Most Wear clubs have representatives on Wear Rivers Trust who would be interested in it or will know who to send it to.

Waste in the river from an obvious sewage problem is an obvious example. The EA also have a pollution hotline where you can report dirty, smelly, cloudy outflows from sewage works. 0800 807060

Also useful is
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...ggmMAA&usg=AFQjCNFC0jZ6pjf8OoGPdaCa886L-jnAdQ
Where you can report flytipping etc in just a couple of minutes on your smart phone. All reports and the council's response is published online so the council tend to respond pretty quickly. Even if it is private land I think they will contact the landowner.
Then there are the people who clear rubbish and industrial / farm waste every day from the river Wear and burns. There is a link here Wear Dumping Ground | Bishop Auckland and District Angling Club

· Banned
2,189 Posts

All very wrong, we need a story on this, as this is criminal.......real bad ! disgusting anyway,and we us the anglers have zero choice who we have in charge of OUR fisheries........and we have to pay in many ways from all directions----what are these people doing to our rivers-yeah our rivers.all thise yrs studying at UNI to design a machine that minces our fish-yeah our fish.

G

·
All very wrong, we need a story on this, as this is criminal.......real bad ! disgusting anyway,and we us the anglers have zero choice who we have in charge of OUR fisheries........and we have to pay in many ways from all directions----what are these people doing to our rivers-yeah our rivers.all thise yrs studying at UNI to design a machine that minces our fish-yeah our fish.
You should see some of the marketing videos online from manufacturers of these things. Absolutely comical. The designers don't live in the real world or choose not to consider fish welfare in the design.

· Banned
2,189 Posts
screw

Thank god they never put that hydro electric scheme in on Hexham weir.
in the cae of hexham weir it wouldnt make a lot of difference IMO as the fish take any part of that dam to get over.

The reason why it was placed in Durham was it serve the very top of framwelgate dam,at its highest point or maybe steepest point,if they didnt have a screw they would have a defunct tunnel which was part of the old school hydro lecky system that the ice rink used,when this tunnel was in place fish used to enter and had no exit other than to turn back and go back to the main river,the reason for this was the tunnel had a stronger flow than the main river unless in spate or icey smith turned the turbines off,so all them fish form day one would mount up well actually the spring fish nearly always ran what spring fish we have,but soon as the winter water dropped the fish headed for the tunnel late aril early MAY time.

So now the fish have a pass and a screw ok the screw is smashing fish to bits each day perhaps and summit needs to be done at the end of the day the tunnel was a pure nightmare for the E/A and local police,a tunnel man made squared off concrete place that could hold hundred if not 1ks of fish,all stuck and vulnrable it was these latter yrs where the anglers or poachers got the blame for no fish being up river ie freezer wagon scarmonger tactics when in actual fact the fish were blocked unless it rainedor the ice rink flicked the off switch.
a simple fish pass would have been ok ! i always looked even when i was in my early teens!!!!!!!! and thought what the hell is that tunnel all about? cant people realise that its blocking the passage of fish,and why cant anglers in clubs up river seem to get whats going on instead of blaming every tom dick or harrry? for lack of fish plus back then in the 80s we had a lot of dry years (summers) but oh no all the fish are being caught by them lot form durham nowt can get past cos of em summit needs to be doen hahaha well it was the tunnel that blocked fish now we have rid the city of durham of the nasty historic tunnel that was once a mill for maybe corn or what ever.we filled it in to make way for new technology and hopeing it would help re - route fish over part of the river they aint run since the construction of the framwelgate dam,but again we had a designer who drew up plans to build "this" device and by the looks not well thought of ide say when the thought was missed on the design who ever at the time will of had money and prifit in mind,did the designer notice this and mention it to the owners of the screw ? did the owners say ter hell with it no one will notice get it built then worry later or was it a simple mistake ie human error? poor design and most likely no consultaion what ever with any fisherman or anglers.

Again some one who has studdied for years and most likley went too tech college who has made bad judgement,so all, them yrs at college to study tech drawing or what ever its called and not a single O/Z of common sense....same scenario as a disaster movie.a sientist or memeber of the public realising summits wrong trying to be heard by them above and being ignored untill the last minute or when its too late.Before anything is done to our yes our not theirs waterways wwe need to have somtihing in place like perhaps a final say or atleast be consulted for future alteratiosn so this kinda thang wont happen.long as the screw people get their money do yer really think they care?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.