Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some advice please, hopefully based on experience of the Rods.

I am looking for a suitable Spey line for a Demon 12’ and line for a Sage 14’ TCR.

I am not an ‘expert’ caster, just average.

Many thanks, Mark

· Registered
202 Posts
snowbee shooting head 42g is spot on. will get round to try a 700 grain skagit when i find a shop thats sells them [tcr]
You could fish a 750 grain skagit on that rod no problem. Ive been doing so for just over a year now and I find it takes it all to load her up. This is personal opinion of course but dont consider the TCR a 9wt rod by any means.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gs

Novice at SHs.

Please tell do you mean 42 grams of Shooting Head plus, maybe a fast/slow sinker or do you mean 42 to include SH and whatever sinker?

Forgive ignorance but unless one asks…..

It is one mighty powerful rod but not aggressive in my humble view - it handles a Hardy Mach II 10 wt like candy. Have yet to try SHs but I can imagine. Wildfowler is slowly taking me down that road..!

· Registered
178 Posts
shooting heads

Mark,
I might get some running line next week.I dont know the weight of the guideline head youve got but if you put a fast sink tip on it I think it will fly I think the rod advises 34 ish grammes but as the other members say 40-44 inc tip will be on the money.Does anybody out there know the weight of a10.5 mtr 1/2 guideline head (I never weighed it)

· Registered
153 Posts
14ft sage tcr.and demon 12ft

Hi Lichfield,i have 14ft tcr,great summer/ autumn rod.i use hardy mach55 floater,with 10ft clear tip added on end,and its the only rod/line combo i can cast standing waist deep,out, so the backing is half way up the rod.awesome.
the demon is small water/low water rod,fish it with hardy mach55 wf8 float,and a long leader,or 5ft int tip,go delicate presentation,your using wee flees, not big tubes.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
12' & 14'

IMHO it loads better with an 8wt. The rod is actually quite powerful for its size. Not certain I would 'over-load' it more though.

I use mine for summer/grilse fishing on the Borgie and yes, small flies.

Try a Demon first before buying if you can.

Re: TCR, well different beast altogether - the Hardy 55 just flies but so do shooting heads, Rio multi-tips, Monteith, Skagit etc the rod will deal with anything; it is the caster who needs to adjust and boy i am I having to adjust….! :D

Cheers

Mark

· Registered
311 Posts
I fish the 12 ft Demon. Lovely rod. Experimented a bit to find best line. Favourite so far is Hardy 8wt Mach 2 (they don't do a 7wt). This was what the boys at Alnwick recommended. I don't think the Mach 55's have a 7wt either. 7wt spey lines are pretty hard to find.

Tried a Norris spey DT 7 ok for close stuff but harder to get any distance than the Mach 2.

Rio Outbound 8wt integrated shooting head. Flies out easy to cast, but lands like a bag of spanners compared to the Mach 2.

I've now got the hang of the Mach 2 in all but the most unfavourable winds.

Would be interested to hear what anyone else uses on their 12ft Demon.

Gweb

· Registered
552 Posts
Gweb

I use an 8# for my Demon too, I don't know why but of the lines i've tried the 8 weights worked best.

Also use a rio 7/8 multi tip for when floating lines are not the best option

but I'm always looking for the next best line if anyone else has suggestions

Ally G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.