Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
11,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my booster today, this is my fourth one after the original two and the first booster.

I was surprised how much the needle hurt on the way in compared to the first two and my arm was quite sore afterwards, felt a bit stuffed up this afternoon and evening and Ive got a bit of a headache, hopefully thats as bad as it gets.

So to my point.

I was surprised today after mentioning it to two of my friends who have had the first two jabs and they both said they wouldn't be getting this booster. Both felt that Covid is no longer the threat that it was and one also sited the fact he was a bit rough for a few days after his second jab so didnt fancy that again, both also said they didnt want stuff injected into them if they didnt need it.

My thinking is Ive had in me twice already and Im still here and Ive not grown any tits or a second head, at worst a bit of a headache and a sore arm. Ive also had Covid twice, the first time was really bad, 10 days of hard slog, second time it was no worse than a decent summer cold but I certainly dont fancy it again if I can avoid it.

Its got me wondering if take up of the boosters going forward will dwindle to the point where as a society we allow this virus to get back on top of us?

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I wasnt sure about getting the latest one to be honest. Then i thought that knowing my luck, as soon as i turn it down we will get another bad variant and ill have wished id got it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I must say that I do think we should all take the booster. It is being offered, at enormous expense, to the country for good reason, which is to reduce the spread of covid. Yes, I too caught covid even after two jabs, but it was not too bad and passed off after nine days of self-isolation. And I DID NOT INFECT anyone else. I do not know how serious my attack would have been without the jabs nor do I know how badly someone else would have suffered had they caught it from me. What I do know is that I do not have long covid, which can be extremely nasty. Nor do I appear to have suffered from blood clots which can also be very dangerous. I have had my third jab recently, because to my mind it is all about reducing risk to myself and others, who might be very vulnerable to the disease. I repeat, it is being offered widely, on the suggestion of highly distinguished doctors and scientists for good reason. I am 74 and have friends who have felt out of sorts for a few days after the jabs but whether that was the flu jab or the covid booster, I cannot say.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ive decided against having this latest booster, and also decided against my flu jab purely because i think having to many vacines in a short amount of time may be risky, plus having had covid i should have good natural defences now.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
My in-laws are in their 80s. They had the vaccine plus two boosters, and got covid for the first time last month. My father in law took to his bed for a couple of days but ultimately dealt with it well. My mother in law was really poorly. It was touch and go whether they’d admit her at one point, as her oxygen levels hovered 1% above the danger zone for a couple of days. Her GP said he would have sent her to hospital in normal times - but these aren’t normal times. The hospitals are already overwhelmed and it’s not yet winter. She’s recovered now but still very breathless.

I won’t be offered the booster but my husband is taking it, and he’s doing it to support the hospitals. It won’t take much to tip them over this winter. Fewer cases than the 2020 initial surge, as they’re already operating over capacity. People are already dying waiting for ambulances and lying on trolleys for days without beds. Anything we can do to minimise the spread should be done imo. The last thing we need on top of everything else is a resurgence of covid, now we are all indoors again and it spreads faster.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I had my 4th Covid jab, this time the Moderna bivalent one, a couple of weeks ago. Hardly felt it and absolutely no side effects. I had Covid in the spring but it was mild, probably helped by having all the jabs I’d been offered. The protection offered by either the vaccines or previous infections apparently wanes fairly quickly (months not years) and I’m quite keen not to catch a serious version of it so I’ll take any reputable vaccine I’m offered.

On the other hand, I had my flu jab yesterday which gave me a sore arm and I felt rough all day. I’m OK this morning after a decent night’s sleep.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I had my booster today, this is my third one after the original and the first booster.

I was surprised how much the needle hurt on the way in compared to the first two and my arm was quite sore afterwards, felt a bit stuffed up this afternoon and evening and Ive got a bit of a headache, hopefully thats as bad as it gets.

So to my point.

I was surprised today after mentioning it to two of my friends who have had the first two jabs and they both said they wouldn't be getting this booster. Both felt that Covid is no longer the threat that it was and one also sited the fact he was a bit rough for a few days after his second jab so didnt fancy that again, both also said they didnt want stuff injected into them if they didnt need it.

My thinking is Ive had in me twice already and Im still here and Ive not grown any tits or a second head, at worst a bit of a headache and a sore arm. Ive also had Covid twice, the first time was really bad, 10 days of hard slog, second time it was no worse than a decent summer cold but I certainly dont fancy it again if I can avoid it.

Its got me wondering if take up of the boosters going forward will dwindle to the point where as a society we allow this virus to get back on top of us?
So you have had 4 jabs total? I agree and I want the fourth one but getting it is not proving straightforward. I have had 2 appointments cancelled on short notice by the NHS already.

My sister in law and my son's mother in law (both nurses of 40 years standing) say whether the needle hurts is down to who uses it. And they both agree with your final paragraph. There is a serious risk we will let this get back on top of us.

I have had a flu jab. I have had one every year for at least 12 years.

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
Had my third booster on Thursday.
So that makes 4 covid jabs in total.

I had " it " for the second time at the beginning of September.
Much the same as Alan’s summer cold , but with a deal of lethargy tacked on .
That’s gone now.
First bout in early April 2020 was a different story.
Horrible , and not a little frightening.

I‘ve booked myself in for the flu jab early next month.
Quack who gave me the jab said that Australia has had a particularly bad flu season , and advised me to have it before early winter comes along.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
Ive had my flu jab, I always do. I have had 3 Covid jabs and tried to have the Autumn booster last week but the walk in centre had run out of vaccine both times. Im going to book an appointment if I can. I had covid last year and wasnt really ill but felt incredibly tired whenever I actually did anything. Id prefer to avoid getting it but I definitely do not want to give it to my elderly parents or anyone else who might get seriously ill.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I had my booster today, this is my third one after the original and the first booster.

So to my point.

I've only had the initial two part vaccine , I got COVID not long after the last jab
I wish I hadn't gotten any to be honest as I find it very hard to believe and trust any vaccine made in such a short space of time could be effective and safe , so I won't be having any more
One thing is for sure the companies making these jabs will be rolling in it

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Neither my parents, nor myself, have been offered either the flu or covid jabs yet.

My mum has decided that she won't take the covid booster as she suffered terribly last year with severe pains in both legs. She swore she was developing clots and could barely stand or walk. That is her choice.

My dad and I had no issues so will take both jabs this year again as soon as they're offered.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
All the jabs I've had to date has made me ill for 24hours, including the flu jab. I got my flu jab 4 weeks ago and have had a cold since. Waiting for my invite for my next covid booster which i will take. Not taking any chances on the off chance a variant comes along that proves very nasty.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I had my 4th Covid jab, this time the Moderna bivalent one, a couple of weeks ago. Hardly felt it and absolutely no side effects. I had Covid in the spring but it was mild, probably helped by having all the jabs I'd been offered. The protection offered by either the vaccines or previous infections apparently wanes fairly quickly (months not years) and I'm quite keen not to catch a serious version of it so I'll take any reputable vaccine I'm offered.

On the other hand, I had my flu jab yesterday which gave me a sore arm and I felt rough all day. I'm OK this morning after a decent night's sleep.
I rekon sleeping it off is the key. Explained to the pharmacist that was doing the jabs that my plan was to have a couple of night nurse and knock myself out for 12 hours if i felt rough. He said that even though it wasnt the general advice given, its a sensible idea.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I’ve personally watched 3 members of my direct family have bad reactions to the vaccines.
It nearly killed my mother in law a few times. She was rushed to the hospital each time and nearly died. My dad was admitted to hospital with heart problems after the vaccine and my wife now has an irregular heart beat and needs to take beta blockers to regulate it.
We’ve all had covid and got the same mild cold symptoms as 2 of my non vaccinated pals.
There’s been a massive increase in people having heart problems since the roll out of the vaccine with a lot of young people having heart attacks.
None of my family are getting any more vaccines.
After our own personal experience with both the vaccine and covid we have come to believe that there’s more risk in taking the vaccine than getting covid.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I've personally watched 3 members of my direct family have bad reactions to the vaccines.
It nearly killed my mother in law a few times. She was rushed to the hospital each time and nearly died. My dad was admitted to hospital with heart problems after the vaccine and my wife now has an irregular heart beat and needs to take beta blockers to regulate it.
We've all had covid and got the same mild cold symptoms as 2 of my non vaccinated pals.
There's been a massive increase in people having heart problems since the roll out of the vaccine with a lot of young people having heart attacks.
None of my family are getting any more vaccines.
After our own personal experience with both the vaccine and covid we have come to believe that there's more risk in taking the vaccine than getting covid.
I am very sad to hear this Gordon. The NHS ought to be doing some work to find out why this happens to some people, which it clearly does, while others like me get no reaction at all.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I am very sad to hear this Gordon. The NHS ought to be doing some work to find out why this happens to some people, which it clearly does, while others like me get no reaction at all.
I seem to be fine with it.
But I've only had the first 2 as I was told back then that was me fully vaccinated. Now I need several every year apparently?
Non of us are anti vax and we've always all had our various vaccinations.
But after discussing my family's problems with the vaccine to lots of various people I've heard of dozens of more healthy people including young people having major problems with their hearts after being vaccinated.
There is definitely a problem and they know about it as the first question a paramedic will ask you if your having heart problems is when was your last vaccination?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts

So to my point.

I got covid on my fishing holiday this year, and got it pretty bad. Being diabetic is not a good add on.

I've no idea how much worse (or not) it would have been had I not had 3 jabs.

Seems sensible to have it to me!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Was talking about this with an old mate [77] just last week, he was saying he had got his appointments
through to get both his Covid and Flu jabs. He said he'll be going to get his Flu jab but is going to refuse the Covid one.

He says he's not felt well since he got his first jab, always feeling cold and very lethargic amongst other things, he's never actually caught Covid but says he has a lot of symptoms similar to long covid.🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 184 Posts