Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

As part of the November TOTM the theme was creating a fly like a firework

As a result, I ended up with a hybrid kind of Frances / Feeler fly that I quite liked the idea of - so I have had a play around. So thanks to SnapT for the theme and giving me a few ideas (well done and thanks for taking on the support of TOTM)

Here’s an SBS for a back-end Calviny type feeler comet. They are quite blingy but you can always pull tinsel out, you cant stick it back in!

Overall Tying Materials:
Tube: Plastic of 7C Bottles - lines standard or Frodin (for Frodin Cones)
Rostrum: Small amount Pink Bucktail as a cuff, 2 strands Pearl flash
Back Body: Red seal mixed with Yellow glister dub, brushed out and a few strands stretched bronze flashabou over
Mid-Hackle: Fluo Red Cock
Feelers: 2 stripped orange and 2 stripped yellow cock feathers (CHINESE not INDIAN)
Front Body: Note - I used seal first time, but given this hybrid front end is kind of hidden and to save cursing at wire slipping - I've used black floss and copper wire
Front Hackle: Orange Hen
Spur: Bronze/copper flashabou
Long JC
Frodin Small Red metallic cone

Step 1: Prep Tube for inner, add a cuff of bucktail - add flash (Note - i'll use white thread first so as to keep colours bright - black thread can sometimes mask colour as it comes through when fly is wet)

Vision care Eyelash Fluid Eyewear Audio equipment

Step 2: Put on Dub mix - Red seal and glister - then brush-out (I use a piece of velcro on a biro) - you could add a rib to protect- but i haven't bothered
Fluid Automotive lighting Paint Gas Electrical wiring

Step 3: Add in mid-hackle - I've done one turn

Purple Engineering Electrical wiring Eyelash Cable

Step 4: Swap to black thread, put in feelers (a tip for feelers - use an orange and pink cape - and when you strip them, use a pantone marker to colour back in the white stripping point). Tidy up to build up body to hide cut ends of feelers.

Circuit component Automotive lighting Vision care Eyewear Passive circuit component

Step 5: Tie in Wire, cover with black floss, rib to front. This is where you may have problems with slippage - that's why you neaten up body after adding feelers. A bit of glue can help.

Circuit component Automotive lighting Passive circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic engineering

Step 6: Add front hackle (hen) - 2 or three turns

Fluid Automotive lighting Laboratory equipment Sewing needle Laboratory

Step 7: Add bronze flashabou spurs (optional), JC (optional) - I like both. Finish with cone.

Vision care Eyewear Circuit component Electrical wiring Paint

Step 8: Trim hackles to suit - in the old days of feelers about 10 years ago - they were massive - but up to you.

Wood Creative arts Art Engineering Electrical wiring

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Brilliant Patrick,

I'll get studying that in more detail later.

Only 10 pictures allowed? 🤔 How will that affect Iain and Nathan with the voting for TOTM?

Thanks again for taking the time to do this. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: DrPatrickT

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brilliant Patrick,

I'll get studying that in more detail later.

Only 10 pictures allowed? 🤔 How will that affect Iain and Nathan with the voting for TOTM?

Thanks again for taking the time to do this. Very much appreciated.

Thanks Richard - thought I'd give it a shot. The pictures added in the sequence I added them from my phone - so that was good.

Yes, 10 ONLY will be a problem - Maybe it's because I attached?

But also, I can't zoom into the pictures either - can you? If using a mobile phone it'll be awful. I've got bad eye sight so i always pop the pictures out so I can zoom in.

I've raised as an issue on the feedback thread.

All the best, Patrick

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
913 Posts
I really like those and thank you for taking the time to do the SBS and additional pictures.

Reactions: DrPatrickT

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Thanks Richard - thought I'd give it a shot. The pictures added in the sequence I added them from my phone - so that was good.

Yes, 10 ONLY will be a problem - Maybe it's because I attached?

But also, I can't zoom into the pictures either - can you? If using a mobile phone it'll be awful. I've got bad eye sight so i always pop the pictures out so I can zoom in.

I've raised as an issue on the feedback thread.

All the best, Patrick

Thanks,

Patrick
I can drag my phone screen to zoom in on the photos. It is something I've always done myself to get a closer look at things and I can still do that thankfully! 😊

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Fantastic Dr P……..well done.

The advent of the new forum coincided with the arrival of my new phone and I am trying to find my way round both🤦🏼‍♂️
It’s not easy for an aging technosaur but I am hoping to get on to photos at the weekend

1 - 12 of 12 Posts