Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Administrator
2,813 Posts
I think it's a fine thing, fanning the embers of dying traditions and old school reel making may well qualify as one such tradition. Were I under 50 rather than nearing 70 I might just have had one but as things are I'm well set it seems. Still I watched the video and those fellows made me feel good about the clutter atop my large desk here :)

· Registered
1,939 Posts
I think it's a fine thing, fanning the embers of dying traditions and old school reel making may well qualify as one such tradition. Were I under 50 rather than nearing 70 I might just have had one but as things are I'm well set it seems. Still I watched the video and those fellows made me feel good about the clutter atop my large desk here :)
I’m not sure that CNC machining is a dying tradition 🤓

· Registered
7,392 Posts
I think what they mean is that its a dying tradition to operate an '80s lathe and refer to it as CNC:)

I'm never so sure about these revolutionary step changes and have always been highly sceptical about the likes of Cadence rods. I've never cast one but it seems to me the exponents of them move on to the next big thing at a whim and none of them are any better than say a Marksman T.

'Aircraft aluminium' what does that mean exactly? It's the most hackneyed cliche of them all. Was it what the ash tray was made of in a Lockheed Constellation? :)

· Registered
78 Posts
Whether or not you like, dislike, want to buy or wouldn’t touch with a barge pole the new Cadence reel one thing that shouldn’t be dismissed is Gary Mills talent for both making and repairing reels.

In the past he has made fly reels under contract for some of the ‘prestige’ names in fly tackle, before they decided that production in the Far East increased their profit margins substantially. Fair enough.

I asked him to build me a centre pin to my specification which he did at what I considered to be a very reasonable price, 50% of what Chris Lythe charges and 25% of what Paul Witcher charged (I have ‘pins by both of the aforementioned). The beauty of CNC eh? He’s also repaired Alcock’s Aerials dating back to the 1930’s for me all at a very reasonable cost.

Personally I’ll be sticking to Danielsson but that’s not to say that the Cadence reel won’t be floating somebody’s boat.

· Registered
9,813 Posts
Whether or not you like, dislike, want to buy or wouldn’t touch with a barge pole the new Cadence reel one thing that shouldn’t be dismissed is Gary Mills talent for both making and repairing reels.

In the past he has made fly reels under contract for some of the ‘prestige’ names in fly tackle, before they decided that production in the Far East increased their profit margins substantially. Fair enough.

I asked him to build me a centre pin to my specification which he did at what I considered to be a very reasonable price, 50% of what Chris Lythe charges and 25% of what Paul Witcher charged (I have ‘pins by both of the aforementioned). The beauty of CNC eh? He’s also repaired Alcock’s Aerials dating back to the 1930’s for me all at a very reasonable cost.

Personally I’ll be sticking to Danielsson but that’s not to say that the Cadence reel won’t be floating somebody’s boat.
Ive no issues with it and im sure a few will buy them as they are a nice looking reel. I just think theyve priced themselves into a bit of a corner. You are into hardy perfect money.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,193 Posts
Having had hands on several at the Meikleour Opening day, I would say they are beautifully made (engineering wise there's not much that can be "innovative" with that style of reel). Would I spend £700 on one? Most certainly not (sorry if you read this James). But I guess that is the price associated with getting something made in the UK by skilled hands.

I would say, to Ian, they are quite enjoyable to cast and whilst it may seem gimmicky, the interchangeable sections are actually quite handy. Stick the #11 section on when I'm using my heavy sinker, and #10 once I'm onto the spey line and mid/light polys. :) Each to their own, but I would note that the Marksman T is no longer available ;) So not exactly something that I can just pick up 😅

I'd also add, I had the chance to try the 15ft Sage Igniter the same day, and christ, you couldn't pay me to fish or cast with it, let alone consider paying 2.5x more for it than my Cadence rod :)

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Having had hands on several at the Meikleour Opening day, I would say they are beautifully made (engineering wise there's not much that can be "innovative" with that style of reel). Would I spend £700 on one? Most certainly not (sorry if you read this James). But I guess that is the price associated with getting something made in the UK by skilled hands.

I would say, to Ian, they are quite enjoyable to cast and whilst it may seem gimmicky, the interchangeable sections are actually quite handy. Stick the #11 section on when I'm using my heavy sinker, and #10 once I'm onto the spey line and mid/light polys. :) Each to their own, but I would note that the Marksman T is no longer available ;) So not exactly something that I can just pick up 😅

I'd also add, I had the chance to try the 15ft Sage Igniter the same day, and christ, you couldn't pay me to fish or cast with it, let alone consider paying 2.5x more for it than my Cadence rod :)
Ball bearings instead of a bronze bush? Though you are technically correct and it wouldn't be that innovative - the Perfect is a click and pawl with ball bearings and that was 120 years ago :) Don't get me wrong, I'd love one of those reels - it's similar in what it does to the Marquis I mostly use for long lines and it looks really nice, nicer than a Marquis. The video message is all wrong though.

· Registered
67 Posts
From what I can gather the reason cadence came out with the reel was due to Ian’s love of the traditional reel - don’t think he’s really into their modern reels. ( which by the way are lovely)
Personally I think it looks great and if I could afford it or even justify one I would buy it. Something made in the UK is a rarity now and you’ve got to expect to pay higher prices for quality of production.

Saying that I recently bought a Marquis salmon 2 which is considerably cheaper but still a beautiful reel. The sound of which I can’t wait to hear screaming with my first salmon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts