Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Burns and streams

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  AlanT 
#1 ·
I have a fascination of looking at google maps and following the blue lines of burns to see where they start and end up, before google i would also do this with o.s maps and would often go in the car and look at some of the burns and would some times see fish spawning or see fry and parr.
Is this geeky or does anyone else share this pastime.

#3 ·
Blue-lining is what I have always called it. Looking at blue lines on the map then going exploring to see what they hold. I have found some small streams that held trout that I am pretty sure I was the only one fishing in a given year doing this. They werent listed by Fish&Game as trout streams with no mention online. Its different here, I guess, as things are more public so can just bring the rod and go fishing.

G
#6 ·
You're not on your own and as an angler I would have thought it a natural thing to do.
I've found a few little pools and streams where I've had a couple of trout on the worm after a spate that flow off Ilkley Moor and eventually into the Wharfe.
They're know as "becks" in these parts rather than Burns.

Mickle Ling Beck
Mitre Beck
Gill Beck
Mire Beck
Wood Head Beck

Ecoregion World Map Urban design Atlas

There are lots of them. All small probably 10' wide at the most but they tumble off the moor and its unbelievable where you see small 6" trout swimming and feeding!!:):)

Attachments

#7 ·
Yes I do this. Surprising what I've seen. Used to pop down to pick up relatives from Innerleithen on Christmas day and wander up the Leithen water first which is just a small burn. Have seen some astonishingly big salmon paired up in the deeper holes.

#8 ·
I would look on maps and ride out on the quad and have had some great fishing , some real clinkers in lochs and ponds been burn fed..don’t make the mistake of telling anyone if you find a good one though , have had a few wrecked by people taking fish out and giving them away to folk, they don’t realise the bigger fish are an age and take 5 years or more to reach a decent size... maybe they do and don’t care.. same person asked me to show them our clubs water and I’ve ignored his phone calls.

#13 ·
I would look on maps and ride out on the quad and have had some great fishing , some real clinkers in lochs and ponds been burn fed..don't make the mistake of telling anyone if you find a good one though , have had a few wrecked by people taking fish out and giving them away to folk, they don't realise the bigger fish are an age and take 5 years or more to reach a decent size... maybe they do and don't care.. same person asked me to show them our clubs water and I've ignored his phone calls.
Totally agree, I have a couple of very secret lochs in sutherland with specimen trout in them. Me and my mate are the only two that I know of who know about them. A bit like fight club, nae talkin about it in the pubs at night.

#9 ·
Had some great sport and learnt a lot from fishing tiny streams less than a rod length wide. About 15 I went on holiday with a girlfriend and her Mum to either Woolacombe or Ilfracombe in the west country, on the coast. It was a long time ago. There was a stream ran through the village, you could stand astride it in places. I got a few small brownies fishing downstream under a small footbridge, using bread, then moved to the downstream side of the bridge where there was a pool of sorts about 6" deep with shallows below. I could see my bread on the bottom and then heard a very odd splashing sound and saw the back of a much bigger fish sticking out of the water with its rapidly waving tail propelling it on its belly through the shallows. This was of course a bright silver sea trout that must have weighed at least 10 oz.
It entered the pool and immediately went straight for my bread which disappeared into its mouth I struck into nothing and it was gone.
That was my first ever contact with a sea Trout and could explain a lot of my interest in them leading on to Salmon.
Thinking back on it now I don't think I even had a rod with me and I was handlining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.