Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Bully or Forthright Management Style.

860 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Slaneybs 
I think problems lie in the grey area before bullying - hostile, toxic behaviour. The fact that there are complaints against him across 3 different departments suggests that there is some kind of issue with the way he interacts with people. It's not just one section of the civil service. And the chief exec of the union that represents civil servants says they've never received so many complaints about one individual before. Everything that gk says about the civil service can be levelled at politicians, too - or worse, actually. Who does Dominic Raab's appraisals? Where does he receive his leadership training?

I'm not convinced that so many complaints can be dismissed as, it's just a tough style of management. I expect the civil service has encountered a number of tough cookies over the years - the number of complaints suggests that it's more than that. But is it bullying? Bullies tend to target weak individuals - the volume of complaints suggests that it's more, Raab has no idea how to lead a team. So gk is right - it'll be inconclusive. Nothing will change.

But the idea of emasculating leaders is pretty sexist, tenet. You don't have to be a macho tough guy to lead a team - and if you are, you should wield that power lightly. Getting people to do things by force should be last resort, if you want your team to take ownership of ideas and projects. You don't have to be a man, to lead a team, or adopt classically 'male' traits and behaviours. And as many of the complaints centre around the way he treats women, what kind of man is he anyway? Are we suggesting that poor interpersonal skills can be excused in the name of masculinity?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.