Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
People are led, not driven, in my experience - bullies should never win.
Quite right.

The question is; what constitutes bullying? I think the definition has been widened beyond what is reasonable and is often applied inappropriately. It is especially difficult where the complainant is allowed to define what constitutes bullying and where an individual’s perception is translated as the facts of the situation.

There will be a time consuming investigation and unless there has been some particularly egregious behaviour, the end result will likely be inconclusive.

The Senior Civil Service (SCS) cohort contains many flawed characters amongst their ranks and
have to face up to some fundamental problems with how they do their business.

• There is no culture of honesty in reporting and what goes unsaid is just as important as what is actually written in appraisals. As a result, very few of them have ever received negative feedback on their performance, or behaviour- when that happens it comes as an unpleasant surprise.
  • Most of these people have never led teams of more than about 5 or 6 direct subordinates and have received little or no decent leadership training. Without this experience, it is hard to develop understanding of different leadership approaches and how to respond in different situations, especially when the pressure is on.
  • What they are all receiving now is a barrage of inclusive behaviour training and if you only give a person a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

It’s best to wait out until the best version of the facts emerges. Just be aware that while all politicians are regarded as liars and cheats; the civil service is not always the best source of the truth either.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
I think problems lie in the grey area before bullying - hostile, toxic behaviour. The fact that there are complaints against him across 3 different departments suggests that there is some kind of issue with the way he interacts with people. It's not just one section of the civil service. And the chief exec of the union that represents civil servants says they've never received so many complaints about one individual before. Everything that gk says about the civil service can be levelled at politicians, too - or worse, actually. Who does Dominic Raab's appraisals? Where does he receive his leadership training?

I'm not convinced that so many complaints can be dismissed as, it's just a tough style of management. I expect the civil service has encountered a number of tough cookies over the years - the number of complaints suggests that it's more than that. But is it bullying? Bullies tend to target weak individuals - the volume of complaints suggests that it's more, Raab has no idea how to lead a team. So gk is right - it'll be inconclusive. Nothing will change.

But the idea of emasculating leaders is pretty sexist, tenet. You don't have to be a macho tough guy to lead a team - and if you are, you should wield that power lightly. Getting people to do things by force should be last resort, if you want your team to take ownership of ideas and projects. You don't have to be a man, to lead a team, or adopt classically 'male' traits and behaviours. And as many of the complaints centre around the way he treats women, what kind of man is he anyway? Are we suggesting that poor interpersonal skills can be excused in the name of masculinity?

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
One of the most unpleasant bullys in the workplace I ever came across was a Chinese (Hong Kong) sheila working for a big US technology company.

I'm surprised Raaab is accused of bullying if I'm honest, he always seemed a bit of a drip to me. Although obviously cunning like the dunny rat and ambitiously weasly (as are all politicians I expect) Have these 'attributes' been misdiagnosed I wonder?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps the workplaces of the nation need more robust management which just might lift the levels of productivity that the country needs.

I was appalled this week to discover that Stroud District Council working from home accounts for 70% of its workforce.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had 40+ years in the Civil Service and among other things trained as an Equal Opportunities Complaints Investigator.
In that time I encountered the full gamit of behaviours. Managers who wore bullying like a badge of honour and staff who would complain if you looked at them the wrong way.
One of the many destructive elements in all of this was how it could polarise the team in an office.
It prompts the old question.....can you train managers or are they born to lead!
Mike

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
It prompts the old question.....can you train managers or are they born to lead!
Mike
There's a big difference between leaders and managers.
You can be a good manager without being a leader.
Often, you dont need to be a good manager to lead.
Many people have ability that spans both to varying degrees.

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
Why is Rabb still " in office " anyway ?
Anyone under such an investigation anywhere in the real world would be suspended pending the outcome.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Where did I say you have to be a tough macho guy or girl (can that be right ?).
Emasculate meaning :
make (someone or something) weaker or less effective.
    (of a man) deprived of his male role or identity.
    "insecure, emasculated men"

made weaker or less effective.
    "an emasculated organization that is merely a shadow of its former self"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts