Salmon Fishing Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
KCChrome, I have been in touch with Mark prior to this and purchased a 12' 6" 7/8 Explosive from him, a couple of reels and Nexcast lines, really nice guy to deal with. He mentioned CND rods and suggested the 12' 2" prior to me purchasing the Explosive, I must have lead a sheltered life as I had never heard of them and even now can find very little about them, are they really that good?
If you give Mark a shout am sure he will arrange a trial of one to suit your needs? Fantastic Rods in my opinion but be best if you could get your hands on one and form your own opinion?

Registered
Icelander05, May I ask why this model and not the Gravity model?
I was taking your budget into account. I also do have a 13'4 Gravity but to be honest, I cannot see so much difference to the BV-GT's. I am using CND'S for almost 15 years now and my first rod was the original 14'4 Steelhead. I also had to follow ups like I-Spey and they all had their charm. What I do like about them. They make fun with a small fish but can also handle large ones. You can use almost anything on them, from Skagit to Full Spey, even a washing line 馃槀.
Icelander05

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I was taking your budget into account. I also do have a 13'4 Gravity but to be honest, I cannot see so much difference to the BV-GT's. I am using CND'S for almost 15 years now and my first rod was the original 14'4 Steelhead. I also had to follow ups like I-Spey and they all had their charm. What I do like about them. They make fun with a small fish but can also handle large ones. You can use almost anything on them, from Skagit to Full Spey, even a washing line 馃槀.
Icelander05
Really appreciate that, on paper I am leaning towards the CND especially if they are flexible in the different lines, I assume the 14' 6" 6 piece and the 14' 2" 4 piece are the same action wise? just more expensive. I will contact Mark and see what can be arranged.

Registered
If you like the LTS Across and with the budget you have then I would suggest the CND Gravity?
Give the UK dealer a shout and am sure he will sort you out! Fantastic Rods for the money!

Contact Mark Paterson at @ltsflyfishinguk
Mark is a total gentleman.I fished with him a lot when he was the ghillie at Dess on the Dee.
Quite a few videos on U-tube.

Registered
MCX, It sounds like a good rod, I think I will see if I can try one out (y)
That 14' 7" Hero is currently discounted at Uttings for 拢429. Probably get a bit more off that, or free postage, if you phone them and plead poverty.

I have been looking to update my older longer rods, but assume this model 9 # wouldn't be suited to my existing 10/11 lines; that's just a guess.

Registered
That 14' 7" Hero is currently discounted at Uttings for 拢429. Probably get a bit more off that, or free postage, if you phone them and plead poverty.

I have been looking to update my older longer rods, but assume this model 9 # wouldn't be suited to my existing 10/11 lines; that's just a guess.
It would probably be over-lined at #10/11. I found it was happy in the middle of its specified weight zone, equating to a 38 gm Scandi.

Registered
I have an LTS Across 13' 8/10 which is great, I was hoping for some advice on a back up / second rod for rivers such as the Dee, Spey and Mourne from Mid May to September.

I really Like LTS and if there is something within that range great news ( 拢700 budget) but I would appreciate the views and experience of fellow members.
14.6 destination graphene sounds like you will be travelling to some larger rivers so a longer rod would be good idea at 6 inches under 15 foot and 9/10 rating it's a wee bit easier on the body if you can stretch that far with your budget its the best sub 15 foot big river rod Iver used and 6 pieces also, large grain window and deep loading so it handles all line systems

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
14.6 destination graphene sounds like you will be travelling to some larger rivers so a longer rod would be good idea at 6 inches under 15 foot and 9/10 rating it's a wee bit easier on the body if you can stretch that far with your budget its the best sub 15 foot big river rod Iver used and 6 pieces also, large grain window and deep loading so it handles all line systems
Thank you JP

Registered
It would probably be over-lined at #10/11. I found it was happy in the middle of its specified weight zone, equating to a 38 gm Scandi.
Thanks Michael, I guessed that would be the case.

I have a bag full of 10/11 lines and I am struggling with the idea of replacing them all - or adding even more lines to my collection at a lower rating - to use on this rod.

The manufacturer, length and price all suit me - but just a touch light.

Apologies for diverting the thread.

Registered

Not only is the rod discounted at Uttings but they also offer an outfit with the rod, a matching reel and a Vision Hybrid line with floating tip and backing for 拢499. The 拢70 increment over their price for the rod alone is a lot less than the regular price of those extras.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts