Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an LTS Across 13' 8/10 which is great, I was hoping for some advice on a back up / second rod for rivers such as the Dee, Spey and Mourne from Mid May to September.

I really Like LTS and if there is something within that range great news ( £700 budget) but I would appreciate the views and experience of fellow members.

· Registered
140 Posts
I have an LTS Across 13' 8/10 which is great, I was hoping for some advice on a back up / second rod for rivers such as the Dee, Spey and Mourne from Mid May to September.

I really Like LTS and if there is something within that range great news ( £700 budget) but I would appreciate the views and experience of fellow members.
If you like the LTS Across and with the budget you have then I would suggest the CND Gravity?
Give the UK dealer a shout and am sure he will sort you out! Fantastic Rods for the money!

Contact Mark Paterson at @ltsflyfishinguk

· Registered
9,735 Posts

I have an LTS Across 11 15ft 10/11 that is a wonderful rod for big river work but hasn't been used recently as I now concentrate on smaller rivers. I was thinking of moving it on, mint condition, for around £170 inc postage if that floats your boat?

· Registered
5,833 Posts
For the Spey and Dee you will be looking at something longer than your current 13 footer. Something in the range 14-15 feet should suit.

Most recently I took a 14' 7" Vision Hero (RRP £539) to the Spey: it's a delightful rod, see my report here. It's certainly outstanding value for money and I liked it enough to buy the demonstrator (this was its first use). The other feature is its broad ability to cast everything from a 38' Scandi up to a 70' full Spey line.

I also took a £1300 Sage 15' on the week: great rod, but for me not worth the money on account of how little use it would get.

· Registered
6,889 Posts
14ft is comfortable for the Dee, Spey might benefit from more in the way of 15ft, with perhaps a bias towards full lines, certainly a floater. Sadly I don't know much about the Mourne at all, so be clueless there. Based on what I do know, 14ft 6ins 10 weight if you intend purely shooting heads, or 15ft 10/11 if you intend full lines. I'd see little point in almost replicating what you all ready have in your existing rod!.
Fun spending other peoples money for them though!
Tight lines, Pedro.

· Registered
1,670 Posts
Where on the mourne? Most of it, 13ft would be fine but there are sections that take a 15ft all day long even in low summer.

Dee/Spey would also benefit from 14/15ft so spend your money there. Keep an eye on eBay as the LTS in larger seizes come up often for decent money leaving plenty left over to waste on lines

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where on the mourne? Most of it, 13ft would be fine but there are sections that take a 15ft all day long even in low summer.

Dee/Spey would also benefit from 14/15ft so spend your money there. Keep an eye on eBay as the LTS in larger seizes come up often for decent money leaving plenty left over to waste on lines
Thanks Joe, Baronscourt for sure

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
14ft is comfortable for the Dee, Spey might benefit from more in the way of 15ft, with perhaps a bias towards full lines, certainly a floater. Sadly I don't know much about the Mourne at all, so be clueless there. Based on what I do know, 14ft 6ins 10 weight if you intend purely shooting heads, or 15ft 10/11 if you intend full lines. I'd see little point in almost replicating what you all ready have in your existing rod!.
Fun spending other peoples money for them though!
Tight lines, Pedro.
Thanks Pedro, perhaps 14' 6" LTS Explosive might be an option as they have discounted them

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you like the LTS Across and with the budget you have then I would suggest the CND Gravity?
Give the UK dealer a shout and am sure he will sort you out! Fantastic Rods for the money!

Contact Mark Paterson at @ltsflyfishinguk
KCChrome, I have been in touch with Mark prior to this and purchased a 12' 6" 7/8 Explosive from him, a couple of reels and Nexcast lines, really nice guy to deal with. He mentioned CND rods and suggested the 12' 2" prior to me purchasing the Explosive, I must have lead a sheltered life as I had never heard of them and even now can find very little about them, are they really that good?

· Registered
842 Posts
KCChrome, I have been in touch with Mark prior to this and purchased a 12' 6" 7/8 Explosive from him, a couple of reels and Nexcast lines, really nice guy to deal with. He mentioned CND rods and suggested the 12' 2" prior to me purchasing the Explosive, I must have lead a sheltered life as I had never heard of them and even now can find very little about them, are they really that good?
www.cndeurope.com - I would go for the 13'7 or the 14'2 BV-GT's.
Icelander05

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the Spey and Dee you will be looking at something longer than your current 13 footer. Something in the range 14-15 feet should suit.

Most recently I took a 14' 7" Vision Hero (RRP £539) to the Spey: it's a delightful rod, see my report here. It's certainly outstanding value for money and I liked it enough to buy the demonstrator (this was its first use). The other feature is its broad ability to cast everything from a 38' Scandi up to a 70" full Spey line.

I also took a £1300 Sage 15' on the week: great rod, but for me not worth the money on account of how little use it would get.

Most recently I took a 14' 7" Vision Hero (RRP £539) to the Spey: it's a delightful rod, see my report here. It's certainly outstanding value for money and I liked it enough to buy the demonstrator (this was its first use). The other feature is its broad ability to cast everything from a 38' Scandi up to a 70" full Spey line.

MCX, It sounds like a good rod, I think I will see if I can try one out (y)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts