Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm looking on experienced views on the best lightweight all round fly rods 13......15ft that are highly recommend by all anglers from novice to expert to cover all fly fishing distances and circumstances.
New and old rods but not ridiculous prices please.
Thanks all.馃帲馃帲馃帲

Registered
Oh goodness, you'll get all sorts of answers....

Modern trends are for shorter, lighter rods using shorter-headed lines. My preference would be for something around 13'6" for an #8 weight. As a beginner that size of rod and type of line would be easier to get along with and will pretty much do everything. If you intend to travel, a 6 piece rod gets it in a suitcase so less likely to get lost by baggage handlers.

My personal favourite is a 13' 3", Loop Cross ST - I've used it on big Norwegian rivers for big salmon and smaller Argentinian rivers for sea trout.

The reason people use the longer rods is usually to cast the traditional long-headed lines, their main advantage is that it's less necessary to haul back line before recasting but I'm not a fan - harder to learn and less versatile. But there will be people here that disagree.

Registered
13 footish
Gaelforce graphene
12.9 gaelforce destination
Loomis asquith 13 foot 7wt for finer shooting head work
Gaelforce destination 13.9 8/9 for general big rivers fishing
Gaelforce 14.6 9/10 graphene or standard an extremely powerful rod capable of fishing the biggest rivers if the world the graphene version is better imho
With those rods I wouldn't feel under gunned on 95 % of Norwegian rivers

The 4 pieces 15 equaliser graphene is a monster for special purpose for lapland , Bolstad, Alta yokanga etc a special purpose rod for heavy water and big fish.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ....I've heard good reports on the vision hero 14ft rod anyone tried this rod it's as good as some of the sage rods which is I suppose a matter of opinion I myself found the sage x 13 a lovely rod but too expensive. Of course the Shakespeare scandi brilliant for the price and I liked the old guideline lpxe. .....
Any other views on rods would love to hear.
Thanks.

Registered
You will get 100s of different answers. We all have different casting strokes and abilities. A rod that suits one person might be impossible for another.
To get the most from the top end rods your casting must be top notch or it can even be a hindrance, we aren't all Scott MacKenzies.
On most UK rivers you rarely need to cast more than 20-25 meters.
A Shakespeare Oracle II Spey and Scandi rods takes some beating and will easily cover your needs.

Registered
I'd get the best you can afford for your budget. If you're in an angling club ask them to ask their members if anyone would be willing to meet you on the river to maybe try out their rod. This way you can get a feel of the different actions & lengths etc. Similarly, check out any angling shops around you that should be willing to let you try them.

Registered
Hi all I'm looking on experienced views on the best lightweight all round fly rods 13......15ft that are highly recommend by all anglers from novice to expert to cover all fly fishing distances and circumstances.
New and old rods but not ridiculous prices please.
Thanks all.馃帲馃帲馃帲
If you can stretch to the price, try and get a throw with the 15ft Gaelforce Graphene G+ Equaliser (the 4-piece), a superb rod that will do it all with style and pleasure. The shorter Gaelforce rods don鈥檛 bend quite as deep as the 15ft rods do and so the 15鈥檈r is nicer to use for me, although all of them are lovely anyway.

The 15ft G+ is so easy to use and far from being a real beast. It is perfect with a 650 grain skagit, 42 or 45g equaliser shooting head (although I find a 44g Mackenzie head even better for normal everyday fishing), the extended equaliser heads in 10 or 11 and speylines fly perfectly too. Nothing is a bother and it gives a great pleasurable feeling right into your hands. All this is possible due to the way it bends and where it bends, which in turn means it is great to play fish on and they don鈥檛 have to be monsters to be enjoyable too, grilse can be great fun on it.

Worth every penny.

Registered
My go to rod is my LTS Across 13ft 8/8/10 鈥 see reviews here.

I use both Rio 9 SVT and Rio 10 SVT bodies and find very little in them. But a Rio 9 body with a Guideline 18tft /12 gram tips works superbly. An Airflo 660 Rage Hover/Intermediate also works well with a mono or 5ft polyleader. It is a case of dial in to suit your casing stroke.

What else can I say other than it helped my land my best fly caught fish of 20.5 lbs.
Water Vertebrate Hat Fedora Fisherman

Registered
In my opinion the Vision Hero 13' 7" #8 is quite the nicest rod at that length and at that price point I've tried in years. The action is ideal for novices and it casts every line in the box from Full Spey through Scandi to Skagit, and handles sinking lines very well.

The other budget option is to look for used rods. There are some cracking 13 footers from the previous generation such as the Loop Cross S1 13' (much more of a #9 than an 8) and the Classic Spey (a genuine #8); the Vision MAG and Tool at 13'; and of course the Hardy Zenith Sintrix from 10 years ago, arguably one of the greatest salmon rods ever made.

Of course, if you're ready to spend lots more money then the world's your oyster, because you can look at such gems as the Sage 13' 6" Igniter (unsuitable for novices IMO) and the Vision XO, and some of the other rods recommended in posts above.

But the best rod in the world is the one that suits you best, so whatever else you do, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

Registered
14ft Hardy Marksman T, great rod at that size and handles loads different line weights and types
This is the one with the reputation for versatility. Don't come up for sale often, I managed to buy one this year after looking for quite a while but not tried it yet. Not meaning to derail the thread but just out of interest what lines you tried on yours?

The original question is impossible to answer though. One logical reason being that one rod doesn't do it all and the second less logical one is that a lot of folks get weirdly attached to the brand they have - it seems to be a bit like supporting a football team :)

Registered
I would add that I can cast just as far and just as well with almost every rod I've tried from 拢75 to 拢1200 so long as I've got the right line on it. The main difference to me is weight, the expensive modern rods are very light for the same power and lightness is something I really appreciate. But really, the line is probably more important than the rod, though we very rarely admit that. I don't mean you have to buy expensive lines, just that you have to balanced outfit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts