Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Bass on the spoon

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Sash 
#1 ·
Session to remember tonight.
Went out in search of Bass in the hope of finally getting one on a spinner - almost impossible on the coast I live on!
Walked out to a local mark and started off two hours before HW with worm to scratch around for the odd flatty or Bass...the Bass tend to turn up just before HW so I had a bit of time before the spinners came out.
After an hour and nothing to show for it I thought sod it I'll get a silver Toby out...first cast and it snagged, lost Toby...marvellous
Tied on the only other silver thing I had which was a spoon from Aldi and cast out....Bang! first Bass, lost on the retrieve
By now I was thinking I'll never get one on a spinner!
Second cast Bang! another Bass...bloody hell!...managed to land this one - only small but my first Bass from the Fylde on a spinner....finally!
Third cast Bang! another fish on the Aldi winners!
Jesus this was getting absurd!
This carried on for the next 90 minutes with a few slack periods of about 10 minutes.
All in all I must have caught around 20 - all very small.
I did manage to lose a larger fish around 2lb but I'm not complaining!
Great session...grinning like a nutter!

Water Beak Liquid Wood Feather
Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology Feather
Wood Grey Feather Art Fish
Feather Wing Wood Wind Shadow
Cloud Water Sky Liquid Fluid

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Fantastic sport: lucky you!
Do try the fly: not for reasons of purism, but because it is EVEN more fun.
A standard sea trout rod will do for starters, judging by your pics, and a simple Clouser-type fly.
I had two off a Welsh surf beach on Sunday and it was brilliant.

#5 ·
Yep, gonna try that tonight...my first thoughts after the third fish was that I should have had my fly rod
This mark only produces in strong wind so I might go with something a bit tougher like a heavy switch with shooting head and sink tip

#6 ·
In surf and/or high winds I fish with a 9ft #10, and a 350 grain Depth Charge: casts just fine! In more gentle weather a rod/line weight lighter. Or even down to #6 if its flat calm.
On Sunday the swell picked up as the tide rose: plenty of surfers having a great time. But the fast sinking head and a Clouser fished just fine, caught both fish.

#8 ·
I typically start fishing on beaches at around Low Tide, and fish the tide up until I get pushed off by the water. On most of my local beaches this occurs around half tide. On open beaches I have had the odd fish up to an hour before the Low, so I may be starting too late!

I have done a lot of fishing from a boat recently, and had absolutely no luck at low tide, but found good fishing at closer to and around High Tide. This has been fishing around rocks and cliffs etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.