Salmon Fishing Forum banner

Back from the Naver

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  igy321 
#1 ·
My two weeks on the Naver this year had their ups and downs as far as the fishing is concerned. I had four springers for my time on the river, and I had the feeling that the fish wanted to come, but it was dreadfully cold the first week with water just above freezing, and the second week the water rose every day but Saturday. By Thursday it was essentially unfishable, or at least there was little chance of a fish. Still we got in our licks, and there can be no better a place on earth to spend a couple of weeks than the Northern Highlands, especially with what has become a good group of friends. I even rummaged around the sale room one day at Sutherland Sporting Tweeds and got a good deal or two.

I write a blog about salmon fishing focused on the Miramichi area, but I make a post on it every year about my March fishing in Scotland. There is some commentary and quite a few pics and a video that you may like. Here is the LINK, and here is a picture of my best springer in case you don't want to be dragged off this site.

Altnaharra Estate ghillie Peter Macgregor with a 15 pound springer from Dawson's

Water Fisherman Outdoor recreation Salmon-like fish Fish

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
My two weeks on the Naver this year had their ups and downs as far as the fishing is concerned. I had four springers for my time on the river, and I had the feeling that the fish wanted to come, but it was dreadfully cold the first week with water just above freezing, and the second week the water rose every day but Saturday. By Thursday it was essentially unfishable, or at least there was little chance of a fish. Still we got in our licks, and there can be no better a place on earth to spend a couple of weeks than the Northern Highlands, especially with what has become a good group of friends. I even rummaged around the sale room one day at Sutherland Sporting Tweeds and got a good deal or two.

I write a blog about salmon fishing focused on the Miramichi area, but I make a post on it every year about my March fishing in Scotland. There is some commentary and quite a few pics and a video that you may like. Here is the LINK, and here is a picture of my best springer in case you don't want to be dragged off this site.

Altnaharra Estate ghillie Peter Macgregor with a 15 pound springer from Dawson's

View attachment 35885
Cracking fish, well done Brad.
I would say that four fish for two weeks in early March in less than perfect conditions was a pretty good score. there are very few rivers in Scotland where you could manage that nowadays.

#8 ·
A lot of serendipity

I agree, the Naver is a very good spring river. One of the guys who was there for a week when I was blanked - and he is an excellent fisher - but then he went out on the Earn and got one each Monday and Tuesday. One of the Earn fish was 15 pounds, so there is a lot of serendipity to it all.

#4 ·
Great to hear there's fish somewhere and well done Brad.:thumb:
The Far North is the place to be and bucking all the trends.
The Naver is on my bucket list and no better time than March to get the monkey off your back and into a springer's mouth.

#7 ·
blog link

You're welcome.

If anyone wants to get notice of blog updates, when you are looking at the blog page just click on the BB Fly Fishing logo on the top of the page and you will go to the home page. There you can click on the subscribe list and I will send you a notice of any new posts. It is just a hobby with me and it is free. You can opt out anytime no hassle. Brad

#10 · (Edited)
I like any pictures of a salmon and do not care if the fish is colored, love all the old Photo's of the dead springers on the snow from Catholes in the Tayside and in fishing huts, I have to say that fish is an absolute stonker , i do not know what it is about that fish but it just looks solid and has the "Wow" factor. Thanks for sharing. Also look at the Ghillies weather beaten face and you just know they have worked hard to get that fish in cold conditions. Thats what it is all about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.