Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There will come a day when I can’t lift this rod and cast the line in its rings,
When I can’t walk the river and safely wade its margins.
When that day comes, I will be ready to meet my maker,
As the joy in life will be all behind me.
That day is not today.
I still have many beats to walk, or perhaps just a few, many times.
There are still friendships to be made anew on the riverbank and shore.
The odd take from a willing fish will keep the spirit alive.
The goal in all this is that the fish will have won, hopefully in the end.
Returning to their river, stream or burn long after my last cast has been retrieved.
The legacy of a fish to the generations to come.
When the day comes, cast me out so I can join my fathers ashes under the Cooks dam,
Completing the circle between the angler and the fish.

· Registered
76 Posts
There will come a day when I can’t lift this rod and cast the line in its rings,
That day is not today.
Returning to their river, stream or burn long after my last cast has been retrieved.
When the day comes, cast me out so I can join my fathers ashes under the Cooks dam,
That day is not today.
Loved reading your post.Got back on the river properly 6/7 seasons ago through my sons enthusiasm to go fishing,he was 14 at the time asking all sorts off questions about the methods used and the places to go.Showing him what I could remember the realisation I hadn’t fished a proper season for years suddenly hit me.I had forgot how much I missed just being on the river and out doors in general.I was never prolific with my catches but just being on the river made me feel different in a good way.I no the fishing is difficult on many rivers but love it even more now than I did then.Today i was looking through a T&S magazine and found a report from couple of seasons ago quoting the person who done the river Nith reports(my local river) for many seasons,he was called Brian Lord (lord hikwa) his favourite saying was “there’s more to fishing than catching fish”……how very true,for me at least !

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is true. The catching of a fish is almost a mild consequence of being on the river. Just being present on the river or still water is therapy for the mind. I read articles about how photography, as a hobby, saves peoples from the Black Dog, it’s the same with fishing, just a great therapy for the mind. Some great lessons learnt on the river bank too. As a kid an old rod advised me not to worry about it when paying, what one might consider, ‘a lot of tax’. It’s when you’re not paying much tax that you need to start worrying. That stuck with me ever since. Wisdom from the river bank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts