Salmon Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,915 Posts
Thanks for that NEbody

Jings, if only it had been a week earlier the GB picture could have been updated to 2016! :mad:

Effort down, to a new record low, down 5% on the previous record low. Despite that catches up 18% and finally back above the 2003 low.

Maybe not time to hang up the gear as yet! Or for the status quo to change either perchance :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Looks like approx twice as many salmon were reported caught by netting (20,000) than rod; same for seatrout.

Of the approx 12,000 salmon caught by rod, 80% were reported returned.

Therefore the rods are killing approx 2400 salmon a year, around a tenth of the 20,000 nets are killing.

I sort of had an idea that most of the nets had been bought off, but from these approximated reported data the nets are still killing ten times more salmon than anglers (unless my mental arithmetic approximations are wrong).

To add insult to injury (from tables 6.1 and 6.3) the fees for netting licences is £100,503; compared to £1,440,332 for migratory Salmon Seatrout Licences.

If you wanted to wind up a bloke down the pub, you could accurately tell him that anglers pay 14 times more to the Environment Agency than commercial fisherman do , to kill and keep only a tenth of the total number of salmon harvested.

Not alot of people know that.

Nb. I think the EA must only publish this data on the basis that nobody is going to read it carefully; or at least compare the data on one page to that on another page a bit further along.

· Registered
13,157 Posts
Looks like approx twice as many salmon were reported caught by netting (20,000) than rod; same for seatrout.

Therefore the rods are killing approx 2400 salmon a year, around a tenth of the 20,000 nets are killing.

I sort of had an idea that most of the nets had been bought off, but from these approximated reported data the nets are still killing ten times more salmon than anglers (unless my mental arithmetic approximations are wrong).
Indeed you are correct. Nearly all of them in the NE.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
But there isn't anything wrong with salmon stocks and it doesn't matter if a few are killed as it won't affect future smolt output will it Loxie.
To be fair Loxie (who I have never met in my life) posted today that his own fishing beats on the Exe are completely devoid of salmon, the autumn run in Scotland looks so unpromising that he probably wont bother to try, but he has had some improved success on the far North rivers earlier this year.

Seems like a fairly balanced summary from somebody who obviously does quite a lot of angling - or thats how it appears to me anyhow.

· Registered
132 Posts

Couldn't possibly have any effect on future stocks, as our rivers couldn't possibly support these 20,000 returnees anyway........:rolleyes::rolleyes: walofb!

· Registered
4,153 Posts
Thanks for that NEbody

Jings, if only it had been a week earlier the GB picture could have been updated to 2016! :mad:

Effort down, to a new record low, down 5% on the previous record low. Despite that catches up 18% and finally back above the 2003 low.

Maybe not time to hang up the gear as yet! Or for the status quo to change either perchance :rolleyes:
Shhh, don't shout it out, I'm hoping when all these folk give up salmon fishing there'll be some great fishing on offer - I might even get on the Helmsdale!!

Those net figures shocked me too - amazing.

Oscar.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Shhh, don't shout it out, I'm hoping when all these folk give up salmon fishing there'll be some great fishing on offer - I might even get on the Helmsdale!!

Those net figures shocked me too - amazing.

Oscar.
I think that is a case of being careful what you wish for; that scenario may not be as great as you think.

Fishpal shows the full 15 rods available on Hoddom (Annan) on virtually everday this month - as of 5 minutes ago; a situation unthinkable and totally reversed from just 5 years ago.

Didnt bother to click on Octobers availability.

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Thanks for that NEbody

Do you realy think that 12000 salmon caught on 64 rivers is good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.