Salmon Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I've been tying flies since June and decided it was time for me to give a go to Salmon flies, so in anticipation to my first season next year I've been trying to tie some simple flies.
Any advice on amount of dressing, colour ratios and techniques are more than welcome as well as criticism.

Insect Arthropod Dragonflies and damseflies Dragonfly Pest

Eyelash Liquid Feather Art Natural material

Registered
Not much I'd change there at all. Proportions and bulk look spot on for the size of the hooks. Nice heads too. 馃憤

Really not a lot I could tell you. Keep at it just! 馃檪

Reactions: Farro

Registered
I agree with both the above.

If I were to be really picky, the body of your Garry Dog is quite fat, and I wonder why that should be. I don't particularly mind the fat body itself, but the consequence of it is that the wing is sitting a little higher than I might ideally like. But in saying that I realise that I may be channelling my inner Craig Revell Horwood, and perhaps I should try to be a bit more Motsi Mabuse! Honestly, they are both very good flies, and I'd happily fish them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the feedback! It's really helpful

Charlie, I agree, the reason for being rather chubby is that the hook itself had a rather unfortunate bump towards the eye. It's something that I found in several Partridge hooks, have you experienced anything similar?

Registered
Thanks a lot for the feedback! It's really helpful

Charlie, I agree, the reason for being rather chubby is that the hook itself had a rather unfortunate bump towards the eye. It's something that I found in several Partridge hooks, have you experienced anything similar?
The quality of Partridge hooks is variable at best. The shape of Patriots can also vary considerably from batch to batch. I would recommend that you buy from a physical retailer where you can see the flies; or check the batch on receipt and return any packs you consider flawed.

Very good flies for your first attempts. We all look for different things and appreciate different features in our tying. Some folk will focus on the neatness of a fly, others are more interested in proportions, some like the colour balance to be spot on, others are more interested in weight of material.

In general, less is more and a nice neat head never goes amiss. You鈥檝e got both of those accross those flies already. Take a look at the Fly Tying section, copy what you do like and leave what you don鈥檛.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The quality of Partridge hooks is variable at best. The shape of Patriots can also vary considerably from batch to batch. I would recommend that you buy from a physical retailer where you can see the flies; or check the batch on receipt and return any packs you consider flawed.

Very good flies for your first attempts. We all look for different things and appreciate different features in our tying. Some folk will focus on the neatness of a fly, others are more interested in proportions, some like the colour balance to be spot on, others are more interested in weight of material.

In general, less is more and a nice neat head never goes amiss. You鈥檝e got both of those accross those flies already. Take a look at the Fly Tying section, copy what you do like and leave what you don鈥檛.
Thanks for the advice, worth bearing that in mind on my next hook custom.

Really interesting what you mentioned regarding different aspects of what the tier might focus on, I guess being myself in my fly "infancy " only get to appreciate the subjective neatness of a fly. I will be paying more attention to those subtleties from now on.

Registered
I'd very happily fish with either of those. If I was to be picky (very picky!) I might suggest reducing the amount of material in the tail of the second but really is looking for something to suggest rather than a fault. A really successful variation for the second is to make the body with pearl lurex over black thread. It gives a greenish look and I believe really improves on the flies success.

Registered
GK is right. Hooks shouldn't have lumps where the two legs are brazed together, and they oughtn't to have got past quality control, though I have certainly seen it regrettably often. The other thing that strikes me about the Garry Dog hook is that the eye is hardly turned up at all. That doesn't matter if you use a half blood, grinner or rapala knot, but I usually use a turl for eyed flies, and I'm not at all sure that the nylon would exit the eye in a straight line with this hook, so there's a risk that the fly might therefore swim a bit cocked up.

Can I ask, were these hooks bought from a proper shop, in Partridge packaging? You will sometimes see hooks offered for sale online or at shows in unbranded packaging; I've seen them claim to be first quality, but sometimes I have had doubts. I have bought unpackaged hooks in the past, but wouldn't do so nowadays; when we are expected to pay hundreds of pounds for rods, reels and lines it seems a false economy to buy anything other than top quality hooks. Salmon are rare enough these days, and the chance of losing the fish of a lifetime due to a poor hook that might have saved a few pennies doesn't bear thinking about!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GK is right. Hooks shouldn't have lumps where the two legs are brazed together, and they oughtn't to have got past quality control, though I have certainly seen it regrettably often. The other thing that strikes me about the Garry Dog hook is that the eye is hardly turned up at all. That doesn't matter if you use a half blood, grinner or rapala knot, but I usually use a turl for eyed flies, and I'm not at all sure that the nylon would exit the eye in a straight line with this hook, so there's a risk that the fly might therefore swim a bit cocked up.

Can I ask, were these hooks bought from a proper shop, in Partridge packaging? You will sometimes see hooks offered for sale online or at shows in unbranded packaging; I've seen them claim to be first quality, but sometimes I have had doubts. I have bought unpackaged hooks in the past, but wouldn't do so nowadays; when we are expected to pay hundreds of pounds for rods, reels and lines it seems a false economy to buy anything other than top quality hooks. Salmon are rare enough these days, and the chance of losing the fish of a lifetime due to a poor hook that might have saved a few pennies doesn't bear thinking about!
Many thanks for your reply!

I've noticed that the whole batch hasn't the pronounced bend in the eye. To answer your question, yes, I did purchased them from Sportfish in the original Partridge packaging. For some reason I've noticed that the black nickel ones are usually the faulty ones, never came across a golden or silver hook with lumps but maybe is just a coincidence?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts