Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackhead Worms

Default Blackhead Worms

hey guys. sorry if this question has been asked before but here goes.

anyone have any tips for getting blackheads worms. when digging i have only found the odd one hear and there but not in any great numbers. are there types of soil or plants or trees that attract blackheads.

when i was young i used to walk behind tillage farmers when ploughing in spring but it was always lobs id get.

any advice guys???

thanks in advance.
    acerspader
    Last edited by acerspader; 20-02-2009 at 11:54 PM.

The best way to get black head worms easily is to find a dairy farm and a field where the cows are working and the grass is not too long. Where the cows have dropped their muck the grass grows faster. What your looking for is the old pats that are almost away not the fresh ones. There will be a tuft of really green grass. Get a gripe (Garden Fork) with prongs about 10 inch min and stick it right the way in the middle of the old cow pat. You then just wiggle the fork backwards and forwards. It can take a few minutes but the blackheads will start appearing by the dozen. Dont rush let them, get right out or they will just break. I put them in some moss to toughen them up and they last a couple of weeks. Keep them as cool as you can and take out any dead ones every day or the whole lot just die.
    Hope this helps

I get most of my worms off the grass at night with a torch but they are mostly lobs, best if its a mild, damp night which means at this time of year its nae easy! You could try some of the bait suppliers like wormsdirect or willisworms.

hi mate the worms gstachan describes are dew worms . but for good black heads or as we call them in scotland blue heads try under the cow pats . the method described above is perfect ...
    the best way to prolong the life of them . is with good damp moss and some news paper . and keep them cool . heat will kill them in a day or two ...

On my parents farm i've got a great spot for getting blackheads. Its the land where the old muck heap was, this has now decomposed completely and the grass is growing back very well.
    A bit of rain and its full of the little beuties.
    Tight Lines
    Aled

3 different worms there mate, blueheads like blue noses r useless hehe

Quote Originally Posted by love 2 fish View Post
    hi mate the worms gstachan describes are dew worms . but for good black heads or as we call them in scotland blue heads try under the cow pats . the method described above is perfect ...
    the best way to prolong the life of them . is with good damp moss and some news paper . and keep them cool . heat will kill them in a day or two ...

Quote Originally Posted by scottdog View Post
    The best way to get black head worms easily is to find a dairy farm and a field where the cows are working and the grass is not too long. Where the cows have dropped their muck the grass grows faster. What your looking for is the old pats that are almost away not the fresh ones. There will be a tuft of really green grass. Get a gripe (Garden Fork) with prongs about 10 inch min and stick it right the way in the middle of the old cow pat. You then just wiggle the fork backwards and forwards. It can take a few minutes but the blackheads will start appearing by the dozen. Dont rush let them, get right out or they will just break. I put them in some moss to toughen them up and they last a couple of weeks. Keep them as cool as you can and take out any dead ones every day or the whole lot just die.
    Hope this helps
    Couldn't have described it any better. And here's the result.

A man's a man for a' that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Porters View Post
    Couldn't have described it any better. And here's the result.

Thats the way! How could owt resist them juicy fellas?. I actually find wriggling good fun. Not long till i can use them again, so the photos reminded me id better go and get some!
    cheers

Default Happy Wriggling

It's amazing how some facts can eludeyou for many years...I've been worming for about 30 years and for most of them,I've been breaking my back digging hard ground looking for blackheads..It wasn't until last year that I found out how to get them under the cowpats.If I'd known this back then...my back would be in much better shape...Wriggling for worms under the cowpats(sounds like a keep fit video for worms) is by far the easiest way to get them but to add to that.....you can store them for longer periods of time if you get a polystyrene box(like the ones from the fishmongers) with a polystyrene lid(with holes in it)put the worms in damp newspaper in the box and store somewhere really cool and they'll keep for weeks and weeks...But remember as already said....you must remove the dead ones or they'll turn the rest.....Happy wriggling..

I electrecute them, sorry I won,t tell you how incase somebody does themselves in and I get the blame

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast