Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Does it matter how fast the worm is bouncing along the bottom?
    Or is it a case of as long as itís on the bottom and bouncing it doesnít matter.

Obviously in a decent flow with a light weight it might not touch the bottom at all but when I adjust the weight and feel it bouncing I wonder if itís goin too fast

Iíve tried worming a few times but then due to lack of confidence in whether Iím doing it right always go back to spinning although Iím sure Iíd get more fish on the worm

Any help would be great 👍

I always try and get it so it is going down at a slow walking speed
    check out my photography page @ Hidden Content

What size weight do you use then?
    Iíve got those plastic tubes with interchangeable weight that goes in the bottom
    I ďthinkĒ Iíve just about got the right speed then
    Do you cast square across and let it swing back towards the bank in an arc
    Or do you cast upstream then let it come across in front of you and wind in the slack
    Iíve been trying both badly
    Thanks for your advice 👍

I dont fish worm much these days but have a lot in tbe past and used to love it, a very skillful method to master correctly. IMO follow Jerry and Rennies advice and you wont go too wrong. Remember Salar can soon swallow a worm (i wonder why they do worm but not prawn?) so if fishing C&R hit them soon. Wait for first tap then when salar starts to pull hit him on 2nd or 3rd pull max. If he just taps at it hit him whilst 'in tap' 3rd or 4th continual tap. Youll miss some but will avoid deep hooking in most cases. If you do deep hook cut the line close to hook as poss without causing bleeding. Dont force forceps down their throats to remove, youll do more damage than good IMO. Iv caught the same fish a couple of times in the past after releasing with a cut line so they can survive. In these days of C&R i dont know why some clubs/river boards dont allow prawn fishing, never deep hook there and a very skilled method to execute correctly..
    Last edited by Saint Andrews; 15-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Quote Originally Posted by Timxyz49 View Post
    What size weight do you use then?
    Iíve got those plastic tubes with interchangeable weight that goes in the bottom
    I ďthinkĒ Iíve just about got the right speed then
    Do you cast square across and let it swing back towards the bank in an arc
    Or do you cast upstream then let it come across in front of you and wind in the slack
    Iíve been trying both badly
    Thanks for your advice 👍
    The weight varies according to the pool I'm fishing, the interchangable weights are brilliant for this. I usually cast ever so slight upstream and then let it come back towards the bank in an arc; keeping my finger on the line feeling for any taps etc...

I had no faith doing this method, until I caught a 20lb Salmon! Caught Salmon, ST and some really good sized brownies on this method too!
    check out my photography page @ Hidden Content

When worming, I used to use plasticine to easily add or subtract weight from pool to pool or run to run.
    It was cheap as chips and worked very well.
    Brilliant for squeezing onto braid or onto a diy running weight (I used to make a simple corkscrew type affair from copper wire, stopped the weed pulling the plasticine off)
    You could adjust it quickly & was brilliant for uptreaming the worm or setting a float when using prawn or shrimp too.
    I just wonder how environmently friendly it was....
    Not practised worming or shrimping for a long time but used to enjoy it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12