Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  262
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Wye 2020

So reading this small trebles do not have to be de barbed ?
    Regards Steve

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe Iíll go fishing."

Quote Originally Posted by uplands50 View Post
    So reading this small trebles do not have to be de barbed ?
    No. All hooks must be barbless or debarbed.

The email Fixed Spool received from the NRW (which he shared with the forum) confirming the rules had been signed off was badly worded but (unfortunately) the actual signed bylaw was not.

Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardgw View Post
    No. All hooks must be barbless or debarbed.

The email Fixed Spool received from the NRW (which he shared with the forum) confirming the rules had been signed off was badly worded but (unfortunately) the actual signed bylaw was not.

Thanks Richard, I donít fish trebles, but as you point out the email was poorly worded and confusing.
    Regards Steve

The question we should be asking is, "will these regulations protect vulnerable stocks"? If so, how many more salmon will spawn because of these actions?

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post
    The question we should be asking is, "will these regulations protect vulnerable stocks"? If so, how many more salmon will spawn because of these actions?
    IMHO it will make not one iota of difference.
    Regards Steve

Perhaps it may not make any difference on the Wye, but it will definitely make a difference on other rivers. For instance, I know of two anglers on the Towy who regularly keep +20 salmon a season. It had to come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Sewinboy View Post
    For instance, I know of two anglers on the Towy who regularly keep +20 salmon a season. It had to come to an end.
    Compulsory C&R on its own would resolve that issue (assuming they wouldnt just carry on regardless - and the new measures wont stop poaching), without the other punative restrictions.

Scotland have introduced control measures on a river by river basis regarding C&R without the introduction of other measures.

I suppose the new measures by NRW will save a lot of salmon being caught just by the fact it will drive a lot of anglers off the banks. It will have minimal impact on the number of spawning salmon over and above C&R.
    Unless the poachers get them.
    Last edited by salarchaser; 06-02-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

As a conservation or enhancement tool for Salmon stocks, the new measures are a total waste of time. They wonít make any difference to Smolt production and even if they do, NRW wonít be measuring it anyway.

NRW will judge the success of the policy on Anglers returns, which will inevitably be relatively lower than previously, because less folk will fish and they have made it harder to fish effectively.

NRW is totally hopeless, but if you give a man a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardgw View Post
    1988, the last year of plenty. We had lovely water right through July & August and a massive grilse run.

Here lies two of the most significant problems on the Wye and what do the NRW/ Welsh Government do about them?! They fully accept farm pollution is a major problem with 148 incidents reported on the Wye alone during the period November 2018 /November 2019. But then why cave in to the farming lobby and withdraw legislation for agricultural pollution that was due to come into effect from Jan 2020 and replace it with a code of practice and self regulation? This may be fine for those many farmers who will willingly follow the new code but there will be others who in absence of the threat of significant financial penalty will carry on as they always have. This even though it only takes one pollution event to devastate several miles of river life.
    One of the biggest issues facing the Wye today is agricultural pollution, Farmers find many imaginative ways to destroy the riparian environment in pursuit of cheap food. Without strong environmental protection, spending money on projects trying to Ďkeep upí with the pollution issue is a waste of time. Governments subsidise farmers to secure cheap food. We need strong environmental protection , there are plenty of farmers producing food without compromising the environment. Farmers breaching the rules should be stripped of subsidies. Concerns over post-Brexit regimes should not be used to prevaricate, NRW/EA regulators should be bold and fulfil their roles not keep looking over their shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post
    And if it is so important - why did it take FIVE YEARS to come up with them?

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast