Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  62
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wye 2020

When you consider that a Debenture for Twickenham, if you can get one, is 10,000 and Lords has a 25 year waiting list even to purchase membership, then 2000 to fish on England's premier Salmon river is about right surely?
    Catch returns for your money is dependant just as much on the angler as it is the fish available, as supported by the numbers taken on beats with gillies to aid and advise, myself included if only I had taken more notice of Stan and did as I was told....
    For those of us that need to de-stress on a weekend there can be no substitute for plodding downriver casting a fly or flinging a lure across the water to land in just the right spot, with rain or sun on your back and an acerbic comment from your "friend" on the bank to keep you on your toes, fish or no fish it's way cheaper than therapy! Something that some of you lucky b's, who have spent a lifetime on the river, may not appreciate.
    Besides, we are all far more likely to land a bar of silver than to walk on the hallowed ground of either Twickers or Lords and get your mug on here to boot.
    I'm going to continue fishing this season regardless if only for my sanity and maybe, just maybe have the added bonus of a fish or two; especially if I listen to those who know better this time.....

I wouldnt call it englands premier salmon river, the tyne outfishes it by quite a margin and at a fraction of that price.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2000 for one named day per week! No thank you. I want 7days per week and fish club waters at a fraction of the cost so I can fish for a few hours when I choose and not knacker myself out fishing for the whole of the daylight hours (and possibly in unsuitable conditions) of my named day just to justify the cost.

On the Wye there are a number of clubs with 7 a week salmon fishing including:

Groe Park and Irfon Angling Club (Builth Wells)
    Hereford Angling Association
    Ross Angling Club
    Prince Albert Angling Association (Goodrich)

I totally agree with RRR the Tyne catch is way above that of the Wye. The Wye is to some extent is trying to live on its past when it was truly a fabulous salmon river. However even today spring fishing, whilst a shadow of what it was, offers that chance of big fish. 20s raise few eyebrows, one or two 30s are caught most years and occasionally something much bigger is landed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    I wouldnt call it englands premier salmon river, the tyne outfishes it by quite a margin and at a fraction of that price.

Why is it classed as England's premier river out of curiosity.

Sewinfly. ..........

Having already, in a previous post, said that if you want to spend 2000 to fish on a six rods a day beat plus occasional gillie and owner for one named day a week then it's your money and good luck to you I think I should point out to Wye Me that if it's therapy he's after it's available for a lot less than 2000 and a great deal more frequent than one day a week. As Richard has pointed out there are several places for less than a tenth of that figure and some less than a twentieth. There is one place where one can fish a whole season on one bank for less than a single day on the opposite bank.

The Wye often comes third behind the Tyne and the Wear for all salmon rivers in england and wales.

As for the costs compared to Twickenham or Lords for instance, at least with those you have a fair chance of watching a game ...

Quote Originally Posted by sewinfly View Post
    Why is it classed as England's premier river out of curiosity.

Sewinfly. ..........
    No idea, it was mentioned in the comment above mine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345