Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  71
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wye 2020

Says it all really doesn’t it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richardgw View Post
    1988, the last year of plenty. We had lovely water right through July & August and a massive grilse run.

Here lies two of the most significant problems on the Wye and what do the NRW/ Welsh Government do about them?! They fully accept farm pollution is a major problem with 148 incidents reported on the Wye alone during the period November 2018 /November 2019. But then why cave in to the farming lobby and withdraw legislation for agricultural pollution that was due to come into effect from Jan 2020 and replace it with a code of practice and self regulation? This may be fine for those many farmers who will willingly follow the new code but there will be others who in absence of the threat of significant financial penalty will carry on as they always have. This even though it only takes one pollution event to devastate several miles of river life.
    I fish or perhaps should say fished a small trout river in Gloucestershire in 2016 when a local fruit farm left open a valve when fertilising the orchards with liquid fertiliser. The valve was open for a number of hours and killed every fish in the River for 11 miles. One pollution incident one wiped out river.
    My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing kit for what I said I paid for it.

Although not listed on the WUF website (lol) it does seem that the Wye was stocked with fry from the river Shin in 1984, The "unofficial stocking" of fish from the Shin was 250,000. Maybe this was the source of the 2SW summer run of fish in 1988 examples of which can be seen here, there was also a decent grilse run that year.

Quote Originally Posted by OURTREV View Post
    I fish or perhaps should say fished a small trout river in Gloucestershire in 2016 when a local fruit farm left open a valve when fertilising the orchards with liquid fertiliser. The valve was open for a number of hours and killed every fish in the River for 11 miles. One pollution incident one wiped out river.
    Its true that pollution and predation are big factors in the survival of Wye fry, parr and smolts and however you look at it the water industry and farmers are mostly to blame. The recent decision by WAG to suspend the compulsory restrictions they were about to impose on farmers and introduce a voluntary self regulation system instead is a real body blow and sooner rather that later there will be consequences as indicated by Richardgw.
    We have all seen raw sewage issued from sewage works at Hay on Wye and downstream at Redbrook. This is probably endemic throughout the whole river and no one seems to be seriously addressing it.

A friend of mine on the river every day was an avid worm fisher. He used to follow the farmers plough and get a supply. He now tells me that since they have used a tar like fertiliser from a bio digester on the fields adjacent to the river there are no worms anymore. This field was recently under two feet of flowing water during the recent big spate. Diluted enough not to cause damage on its own perhaps but death by a thousand cuts is still death.
    We are watching a natural disaster unfold before us and NO ONE of any real clout is speaking up for us. Both WUF and EA never mind the fat grannies in the Welsh Government are a a bunch of jobsworths full of clever talk and no action. Going for a lie down now.
    Last edited by fixedspool; 11-01-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Glad you've posted this, as this is precisely the reason I can't bring myself to fish the Wye - it's just too damned hard to find the fish!

Living an hour away there's no way I could commit the time to learn a beat, so stick to other rivers which are further away but easier to read.

Oscar.
    Still worth a go Oscar, I'm just under an hour away, far longer to the upper beats, but I've found that, through the contacts/friends you come across in the Wye Salmon Association, there are many people who are able to put you onto the best chances of success. AGM is soon so take a look online and come along to the meeting..... Lots of owners, guides and other "helpful people" will be there.

Well the river is back in the fields again and we've just had{and are still having} about five hours of rain so far today so big water is here to stay for a while. I understand that there are claims of good numbers of kelts, and big ones at that, reported from an up river beat. While it is the case that I no longer spend five days a week on the river these days I have been doing a once or twice a week ramble up and down three beats below Hay, about ten miles in all, when flooding has allowed and while there is plenty of flotsam and jetsam in the fields and up in bankside trees I haven't seen a thing and nor has a colleague doing the same thing above Hay.
    Never mind, we,ll all be there on March the third. Hope springs eternal !

See you all at the WSA Casting day Mid February at Whitney Court.

NRW BYELAWS FOR NEXT SEASON Cant see it will make any difference -except to further restrict the angler.

Natural Resources Wales / Angling byelaws (fishing rules)

Salmon restrictions
    Use barbless or de-barbed hooks.

Fly refers to unweighted artificial fly of less than 5g in weight.

Salmon flies (trebles) are allowed up to 7mm gape - approximately a size 8. If you use larger singles or doubles, they must be de-barbed or barbless.

Only single hooks are allowed on spinners, spoons or plugs, with a maximum gape of 13mm. You can use up to a maximum of 3 singles on a plug.

Shrimp and prawn are allowed with single small treble with a gape less than 7mm.

Using treble hooks on spinners, plugs or spoons is not permitted.

Worm fishing for salmon is prohibited at all times.

Using a float in conjunction with any lure or bait to take salmon is not allowed in the Wye Fisheries District or in the Upper Severn Area.

Groundbait or feeder bait is not allowed at any time.

Read more about salmon open seasons.

Read advice on how to practise salmon catch and release.

Sea trout restrictions
    All hooks you use must be barbless or de-barbed.

Flies (trebles) are allowed up to 7mm gape - approximately a size 8. If you use larger singles or doubles, they must be de-barbed or barbless. Tandem and 'secret' weapon type flies are not prohibited up to a maximum of 4 points. Treble hooks must be less than 7mm.

Only single hooks are allowed on spinners, spoons or plugs, with a maximum gape of 13mm. You can use up to a maximum of 3 singles on a plug.

Bait fishing for sea trout is allowed outside the catch and release period, with small hook gape size of 8mm (approximately size 8) and a single worm.

Maggots, pupae or non-aquatic larvae are not allowed. This is except within the Gwynedd Fisheries District where it is permissible to fish with maggots if they are used with artificial fly when fishing between one hour before sunset and one hour after sunrise.

Read
    Last edited by fixedspool; 16-01-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rightangle View Post
    Well the river is back in the fields again and we've just had{and are still having} about five hours of rain so far today so big water is here to stay for a while. I understand that there are claims of good numbers of kelts, and big ones at that, reported from an up river beat. While it is the case that I no longer spend five days a week on the river these days I have been doing a once or twice a week ramble up and down three beats below Hay, about ten miles in all, when flooding has allowed and while there is plenty of flotsam and jetsam in the fields and up in bankside trees I haven't seen a thing and nor has a colleague doing the same thing above Hay.
    Never mind, we,ll all be there on March the third. Hope springs eternal !

See you all at the WSA Casting day Mid February at Whitney Court.
    February 15th at Whitney on Wye (signposted) all welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by fixedspool View Post
    NRW BYELAWS FOR NEXT SEASON Cant see it will make any difference -except to further restrict the angler.

Natural Resources Wales / Angling byelaws (fishing rules)

Salmon restrictions
    Use barbless or de-barbed hooks.

Salmon flies (trebles) are allowed up to 7mm gape - approximately a size 8. If you use larger singles or doubles, they must be de-barbed or barbless.

Shrimp and prawn are allowed with single small treble with a gape less than 7mm.

Worm fishing for salmon is prohibited at all times.

Using a float in conjunction with any lure or bait to take salmon is not allowed in the Wye Fisheries District or in the Upper Severn Area.

Read more about salmon open seasons.

Read advice on how to practise salmon catch and release.

Sea trout restrictions
    All hooks you use must be barbless or de-barbed.

Flies (trebles) are allowed up to 7mm gape - approximately a size 8. If you use larger singles or doubles, they must be de-barbed or barbless. Tandem and 'secret' weapon type flies are not prohibited up to a maximum of 4 points. Treble hooks must be less than 7mm.

Bait fishing for sea trout is allowed outside the catch and release period, with small hook gape size of 8mm (approximately size 8) and a single worm.

Maggots, pupae or non-aquatic larvae are not allowed. This is except within the Gwynedd Fisheries District where it is permissible to fish with maggots if they are used with artificial fly when fishing between one hour before sunset and one hour after sunrise.

Read
    Geoff,

It appears that the rules are not yet effective for the Wye, Dee or Severn. See the note in the box near the top of the page in the link below.

Natural Resources Wales / Using lures and baits
    Last edited by Richardgw; 17-01-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Yes I saw that... This is what i says below.. left hand still doesn't know what the right hand is doing!!!

Currently, the only exceptions to this guidance is for the rivers Dee, Wye, the Severn or its tributaries in Wales, where existing control measures are continuing (see the table below). Check back soon for updates to this position or contact us at fisheries.wales@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk
    Salm

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast