Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  101
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Quote Originally Posted by fixedspool View Post
    All true and a complete disgrace.

One interesting point regarding Goosanders though. In a book printed in 1942 by Roger Gibbings titled 'Coming down the Wye' he mentions that on a lake near Rhayader that 'the goosanders are back'and goes on to describe a flock of them fishing. He describes their actions perfectly and there is a drawing which leaves no doubt they were goosanders and he does not express any surprise at thier presence so perhaps they were earlier than you think. Its a fascinating book regarding early life on the upper Wye in particular in the 1940s. Find a copy if you can its worth a read.

Must admit I never saw any on the river till the early seventies.
    Migratory vs resident population....... potentially true, but even the 1940s makes them a newcomer compared to the 10,000 years that salm9n and seatrout have probably been here since the ice retreated..👍

Goosanders first bred in the uk in 1871 it seems.

Can't imagine many people were out looking for them until transport methods improved in the 1940's and 50's
    Last edited by peterchilton; 14-02-2020 at 02:41 PM.

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post

Can't imagine many people were out looking for them until transport methods improved in the 1940's and 50's
    I think they moved west, it was certainly later in a Wales.....either which way, they need reasonable control to prevent disproportionate damage

We have the same,plenty of fish and very few fishing for them,the club coffers have taken a pounding.

I don't agree with compulsory C&R,but C&R is not new it was carried out for over 60 years on a voluntary basis, you'll always get the greedy guys and the poachers no C&R for them,it is always the law abiding that are punished we all know where the problems lie,but we are stifled by so called conservationists. Many problems are outside our grip but predators control is very doable and needed urgently.

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post

There is a plaque by Dryburgh Abbey on the banks of the Tweed which I wish I had photographed after I read it. It was about goosanders and said that they arrived first in Scotland from Scandinavia in Victorian times. It said something to the effect that they were hunted to be eaten! At one time they were almost wiped out (if only).

I can't understand why they took so long to move south given how successful they are at breeding.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910