Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  62
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Usk 2019

My first season on the Usk gave me a fine tally of... none!

I was there at the right time on a few occasions as others caught fish but often that would be one or two fish for 4-6 rods, my luck just wasn't with me or my poor choice of fly some the fish sneer. 'This time next year though I'll be a millionaire', I can but live in hope and at least I got the rod bent during my trip to Ireland.

Hi Iain

Keep at it next season, the way years are flying by for me lt will be here in no time at all

Not sure if you mentioned in previous posts as to the beat your fishing. There were fish there in the early part of season having lost fish and my bro-in-law to.

The Usk does kick off a bit later than the Wye and we seem to get a few clean fish still later in the season
    I fished the last day with good water and clarity but not a touch.
    With the weather we had the last week or so of the season the fish did seem to move up the river.

Next season will be a different ball game with the new NRW rules being enforced upon us.

Cheers
    Spencer

Default Usk Salmon catches 2019

Anyone aware of the (poor) catch numbers regarding Salmon on the Usk, for the 2019 season.
    I know the numbers will be low, and generally the Usk catches are a bit of word of mouth compared to the Wye.
    I returned to Salmon fishing, after a few years this Autumn. I was fortunate to catch one in October.
    I know that last year was poor too, just hoping it will pick up again next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
    Anyone aware of the (poor) catch numbers regarding Salmon on the Usk, for the 2019 season.
    I know the numbers will be low, and generally the Usk catches are a bit of word of mouth compared to the Wye.
    I returned to Salmon fishing, after a few years this Autumn. I was fortunate to catch one in October.
    I know that last year was poor too, just hoping it will pick up again next season.
    Where by are you fishing on the Usk ?

Sewinfly...................

Quote Originally Posted by sewinfly View Post
    Hi Iain

Keep at it next season, the way years are flying by for me lt will be here in no time at all

Not sure if you mentioned in previous posts as to the beat your fishing. There were fish there in the early part of season having lost fish and my bro-in-law to.

The Usk does kick off a bit later than the Wye and we seem to get a few clean fish still later in the season
    I fished the last day with good water and clarity but not a touch.
    With the weather we had the last week or so of the season the fish did seem to move up the river.

Next season will be a different ball game with the new NRW rules being enforced upon us.

Cheers
    Spencer
    Absolutely, like with anything you have to build the experience to gain confidence and consistency and with hindsight I know for a fact that I wasted some days from a catching perspective by doing it 'wrong'. As usual though those were not wasted days for I learned a lot and so will start with some first hand knowledge and greater confidence from already knowing some of the mistakes to avoid and so being closer to getting it right.

Quote Originally Posted by sewinfly View Post
    Where by are you fishing on the Usk ?

Sewinfly...................
    Brecon Town Water in October.
    But in precious seasons I have fished Isca waters, gwent angling society and Crickhowell Waters. And various beats on the Wye.

Isca usually records the most fish I believe in recent seasons.
    I dropped out of Crickhowell this year.
    We had 41 which is probably better than a lot of the well known Wye beats, might of topped some of the Scottish beats to
    That was hard going to get that number from the rods.

Sewinfly.............

I guess your beat is lower River beat.
    The Wye I believe is recording around 345 for the whole season, Do you think the Usk will top that.

Quote Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
    I guess your beat is lower River beat.
    The Wye I believe is recording around 345 for the whole season, Do you think the Usk will top that.
    Don't think the Usk will top that as not all people,beats submit a catch return same as Wye.
    We will have to wait probably a lot longer until the final figure is known.

Sewinfly..........

I am guessing a total catch of under 150

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast