Thanks Thanks:  114
Likes Likes:  1,130
Page 1 of 120 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Wye 2019

Default Wye 2019

Well somebody had to start 2019 I suppose.
    Let's hope the once mighty Wye defies the considerable odds and gets back some of it's glory.
    Happy new season to everybody and fingers crossed.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Thanks Gary

Now I've mined some exciting ML workings that have provided the # totals of salmon that will be caught during 2019 on the Wye and its tributaries....a figure that will correspond ( MOSTLY )with both those of RWGA and WUF

The lower figure is : 1455 the upper 1798

Get weaving there's much to be done!

Quote Originally Posted by meyre View Post
    Thanks Gary

Now I've mined some exciting ML workings that have provided the # totals of salmon that will be caught during 2019 on the Wye and its tributaries....a figure that will correspond ( MOSTLY )with both those of RWGA and WUF

I glad to see someone optimistic as after last year even the lower figure would be a big step in the right direction. Looking on the bright side we’ve had a bad year every 4 years (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014 & 2018) so let’s hope your prediction comes true as it will require some decent runs of fish combined with good fishing conditions; things that were sadly missing last year.

Tight lines to all on the Wye and may your fish stay attached long enough to get them into the net.

Thanks Gary

Hope your right but through rose tinted glasses I saw a flying pig today, ran over a Magpie and smashed a mirror.
    Someone tells me there is a 1 before the figures 455 and 798 but I can't see it myself.

Hoping we get a decent year of water conditions more than anything , a year without oxtail soup would be nice, river in perfect nick i would think at the moment shame we aren't starting early, would be nice to start early and finish earlier but that's a can of worms that wont be opened, good luck to everyone that casts a line on the river this season, water dependent lets hope some of the big springers are about, i love fishing March and April more than any other months you just never know and recent years have shown me personally there are big fish still running the river

Tight lines

Yes worms and shrimps...they were the prime way to fish the Wye, Towy, Loughor or any river that held depth, colour and salmon.....a real skill.
    Are they permitted anywhere now?

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Quote Originally Posted by fixedspool View Post
    Hope your right but through rose tinted glasses I saw a flying pig today, ran over a Magpie and smashed a mirror.
    Someone tells me there is a 1 before the figures 455 and 798 but I can't see it myself.
    Speaking of airborne pork, a good few years back I seem to recall someone somewhere state the Wye had 3 or 4 year cycles of peaks in catches (can't remember exactly). With more data etc. do you still see that. I've not seen a graph for ages of Wye catches, and haven't really updated my data lately but does that still happen?

1981/86/88/91/94/96/98/01/04/08/12/2016 were the "peaks" as I recall so presuemably if the hypothesis holds true then 2018 was pants and be prepared to fill your boots in 2020...

Unless however all it reflects is Charlton Chestwig, the Worlds best salmon angler, taking a month's holiday fishing the Wye every 4 years...

we could probably see that in the effort data, or would we?
    Last edited by seeking; 08-01-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Speaking of airborne pork, a good few years back I seem to recall someone somewhere state the Wye had 3 or 4 year cycles of peaks in catches (can't remember exactly). With more data etc. do you still see that. I've not seen a graph for ages of Wye catches, and haven't really updated my data lately but does that still happen?

1981/86/88/91/94/96/98/01/04/08/12/2016 were the "peaks" as I recall so presuemably if the hypothesis holds true then 2018 was pants and be prepared to fill your boots in 2020...

Unless however all it reflects is Charlton Chestwig, the Worlds best salmon angler, taking a month's holiday fishing the Wye every 4 years...

we could probably see that in the effort data, or would we?

You mean to say you have not got a graph to illustrate your point Seeking -whatever the point is? That's truly shocking.

I don't recall having seen a 'peak' in Wye catches since 1988.

It's down to a lack of lumbricus terrestris, probably also pandalis borealis.

It's down to a lack of lumbricus terrestris, probably also pandalis borealis.
    Dendrobranchiata

Not forgetting the Dendrobranchiata of course. Another major factor.!!!

Page 1 of 120 1231151101 ... LastLast