Thanks Thanks:  104
Likes Likes:  1,033
Page 93 of 105 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: Wye 2019

Quote Originally Posted by fixedspool View Post
    Pretty clear to me I have to say. One organisation has spent twenty years with that quote as it's guiding principle.

Saw a programme on TV last night. Will Millard on the Taff. Cue interview with Peter Gough NRW ,Chief extolling the virtues of the cleaned up river. True it has but not by the EA/NRW.I suggest though to their credit they did put fish passes on the weirs. He did make a passing reference to the heavy industry of the past but seemed to claim credit for everything else. As said before the only reason it was destroyed was the curse of heavy industry and coal mining that originally polluted it. Where were they then was the question he should have been asked. The same Mr Gough, a charming and pleasant man I have to say, has also overseen the decline of the Wye for some decades now.
    I understand he is to retire soon. If so I wish him well.
    No mention of the 40% return from stocked fish then?

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post
    I just love a graph, here are some Phosphate graphs for the Wye

Attachment 37427

Attachment 37428

Attachment 37429

Wow. Compared to my local yours is clean... However, based on where these are from, it would appear that they've been looking in the wrong place (BS trying to baffle brains again).

Maybe the truth will out, soon enough...

PS - only just seen your barbel/zander C&R comparison.

A: No not the same. Zander are INNS and should be killed under Wildlife and Countryside Act regs if caught, whereas barbel are native to the UK, if not that specific catchment, and hence not required to be killed.

Though I understand there is an EA-approved bag limit somewhere. Never eaten one though Falkus and Buller mention the roes are poisonous.

I ate chub once, won't do so again. Roach ok like whitebait. Perch pike and zander the best IMHO and the latter totally guilt free...
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Don't get too impressed seeking. Those are some of the good sites. Some of the others go off the top of the graph.

After another night and morning of rain, the main stem is on the rise and is quite big now :-)

After another night and morning of rain, the main stem is on the rise and is quite big now :-)
    Iíve been wondering how Pol angler got on at the Rectory with his flashing spinners and bass and zander fishing skills. Pol????😘

More heavy rain in mid wales, might bring the river up again

More heavy rain in mid wales, might bring the river up again
    Bring it on! I'll happily wait a few more days for a better chance of catching.

Not much rain at the Red Lion but river up 6 inches or so in around 3 hours at lunch time. Visibility virtually nil.

Salmon caught on the very upper river just below the Elan junction, it takes a few spates to get them up there in June these days.

Salmon caught on the very upper river just below the Elan junction, it takes a few spates to get them up there in June these days.
    Nice to see one from Lysdinam too.
    As for further down recently methinks we need to recalculate when a river is deemed unfishable either according to height or colour.
    Never say never seems to be the name of the game at least for some. A lesson to be learn't -perhaps!!

Page 93 of 105 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast