Thanks Thanks:  104
Likes Likes:  1,032
Page 92 of 105 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: Wye 2019

Like Barbel they make excellent fertiliser

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Quote Originally Posted by pol_angler View Post
    Sea bass or bass, looking through Irish and Welsh articles you get both names.

As for Zander, that's not entirely correct - it's C@R
    on Rutland and more than likely on Grafham for them.
    Not sure about the taste as I don't eat fresh water fish. Fishing for them is fun thou and takes a lot of skill, far from just chuck and retrieve.
    Only celeb. chefs and joe public impressed by celbs calls them Sea Bass IMHO. No self respecting angler would. Mind, I'm not sure about Old King Compo

Re: Zander - Like I said, they really do taste really great. I can wholeheartedly recommend them. Real sustainable tasty treats. Guilt free.

As for your statement, I think you are wrong. My understanding is that if there is CCR on Zander (an introduced alien invasive species) then the place that imposes that is breaking UK law.

UK law is ever so clear (as mud). If you trap a grey squirrel, and release it (alive) into the environment afterwards that is breaking the law.

Likewise a Zander. If you land it, you should kill it.

More here:

Zander Fish | Guide to Non-native Fish | Canal & River Trust

EDIT: Actually it seems I may be wrong, , whilst I was right about grey squirrels (an excellent reason to trap and roast them), it seems that for some bizarre reason, despite being an alien invasive non-native species (INNS) in the UK they have not been added to the EU approved list of INNS that can't be released to the environment (i.e. after capture)

The first EU list of 37 invasive alien species comes into force - British Ecological Society

Typical, another wishy washy EU "Environmental Regulation" that we'll be best rid of soon...

But not sure how this tallies with the CRT website information. A conflict in law, who would have thunk it????

Still kill 'em all (and eat 'em), wherever you can would still be my advice... regardless of "law", and the "bleeding heart bunny huggers and fish kissers"

EDIT 2:

Turns out I was right after all, even the Grauniad backs me up:

Specieswatch: zander have a look of Dracula | Environment | The Guardian

So yes, kill 'em all or you're breaking the law appears to be the concensus.

The earlier link referring to the ineffectual EU "environmental protection" was wrong and not applicable to Zander in UK because, as a native species of some EU countries, the EU can't add them to this regulation! Bizzarre eh. Luckily that does not apply to UK in this case.

Clear??????

Last edited by seeking; 15-06-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Only celeb. chefs and joe public impressed by celbs calls them Sea Bass IMHO. No self respecting angler would. Mind, I'm not sure about Old King Compo

Re: Zander - Like I said, they really do taste really great. I can wholeheartedly recommend them. Real sustainable tasty treats. Guilt free.

As for your statement, I think you are wrong. My understanding is that if there is CCR on Zander (an introduced alien invasive species) then the place that imposes that is breaking UK law.

UK law is ever so clear (as mud). If you trap a grey squirrel, and release it (alive) into the environment afterwards that is breaking the law.

Likewise a Zander. If you land it, you should kill it.

More here:

Zander Fish | Guide to Non-native Fish | Canal & River Trust

EDIT: Actually it seems I may be wrong, , whilst I was right about grey squirrels (an excellent reason to trap and roast them), it seems that for some bizarre reason, despite being an alien invasive non-native species (INNS) in the UK they have not been added to the EU approved list of INNS that can't be released to the environment (i.e. after capture)

The first EU list of 37 invasive alien species comes into force - British Ecological Society

Typical, another wishy washy EU "Environmental Regulation" that we'll be best rid of soon...

But not sure how this tallies with the CRT website information. A conflict in law, who would have thunk it????

Still kill 'em all (and eat 'em), wherever you can would still be my advice... regardless of "law", and the "bleeding heart bunny huggers and fish kissers"

EDIT 2:

Turns out I was right after all, even the Grauniad backs me up:

Specieswatch: zander have a look of Dracula | Environment | The Guardian

The earlier link referring to the ineffectual EU "environmental protection" was wrong and not applicable to Zander in UK because, as a native species of some EU countries, the EU can't add them to this regulation! Bizzarre eh. Luckily that does not apply to UK in this case.

Clear??????

Clear. Err no. Reading that , one looses the will to live frankly. Itís mostly just babble for the sake of saying something- anything it seems to me. Not for the first time either😘

exactly

[QUOTE=rightangle;1140572]Reminds me of the old adage: Bull s**t Baffles Brains.[/QUOTE

Don't understand that

it baffled me

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post
    it baffled me
    Baffled me too

Mind, I suppose the detractors won't be at all interested in the results (it will include graphs) after we do a proper evaluation of the P-loading of your river then?

Aye...
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

I just love a graph, here are some Phosphate graphs for the Wye

mordiford-md-50050-jpg

holme-lacy-md-50807-jpg

carrotts-md-50024-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post
    it baffled me
    Pretty clear to me I have to say. One organisation has spent twenty years with that quote as it's guiding principle.

Saw a programme on TV last night. Will Millard on the Taff. Cue interview with Peter Gough NRW ,Chief extolling the virtues of the cleaned up river. True it has but not by the EA/NRW.I suggest though to their credit they did put fish passes on the weirs. He did make a passing reference to the heavy industry of the past but seemed to claim credit for everything else. As said before the only reason it was destroyed was the curse of heavy industry and coal mining that originally polluted it. Where were they then was the question he should have been asked. The same Mr Gough, a charming and pleasant man I have to say, has also overseen the decline of the Wye for some decades now.
    I understand he is to retire soon. If so I wish him well.

More about graphs. stop yawning that man. For those who have seen the Wye and Lugg paper recently issued the three graphs Peter has shown are for three sites illustrated in that paper. If one compares them with the Wye and Lugg it can be seen that they end up in markedly different places. That's because the Wye and Lugg graphs end in 2016 {which purely by co-incidence was a good year} but the graphs above end last year {which was a bad year.}

It could all be due of course to the highly involved way in which the measurements are recorded that I mentioned in an earlier post but it's all a bit confusing. If I had the brains I could claim that I was baffled.

Having mentioned in an earlier post that I could only find 2 out of a random 19 sites that had improved since 2012 I've just done another random trawl of 12 sites{there are 50 in all } and once again found only two improvers, one of which has improved but is still three times over its target. Of the 50 sites only 4 or 5 reach their target at the moment. Still improvement is at hand, remember there are twelve different organisations working on it.

Enough of graphs now I think. Don't you?

Page 92 of 105 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast