Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  982
Page 54 of 92 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Wye 2019

Fantastic fish - well done JD

Quote Originally Posted by Richardgw View Post
    30.5 lbs fresh run cock fish caught by Jon Daniels from Ross AC this pm after a very long and hard fight. Jon was fishing a SHFC and had to land it himself while I watched stuck on the opposite bank.
    Well done Jon!

It must have been a nail biter for you too Richard.

ATB

30.5 lbs fresh run cock fish caught by Jon Daniels from Ross AC this pm after a very long and hard fight. Jon was fishing a SHFC and had to land it himself while I watched stuck on the opposite bank.
    I would have expected no less. Quality fish for a quality angler. Well done Jon.
    My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing kit for what I said I paid for it.

Great stuff
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    Well done Jon!

It must have been a nail biter for you too Richard.

ATB
    Indeed it was.

I received a call from Jon to say he was into a massive fish. All this whilst shopping with my wife. After paying we drove down to the water to watch the action and support Jon. My wife has never seen a salmon caught - only tasted them. But from when we arrived it was clear this was special. Jon was in a difficult position. No way upstream and if it went down it was 400 yard+ of rapids to the next slack with no chance of following willows. But he had a small slack at his feet. With binoculars we watched the action and felt massive relief when he eventually worked it into the slack and at third or fourth attempt he netted it.

Once landed he then had the problem of dealing with what was a still a very lively fish. From 80 yards distance I said to my wife that it looked perhaps 35 lbs. It certainly looked massive but his spring balance read 32.5 lbs, which after deducting the weight of the net, gave 30.5 lbs. Brilliant. Am I jealous, yes I am. But Jon deserves this for the time and effort he puts in.

On going back he had to hold the fish for about 5 minutes before it swam quietly away into the deeps.

Indeed it was.

I received a call from Jon to say he was into a massive fish. All this whilst shopping with my wife. After paying we drove down to the water to watch the action and support Jon. My wife has never seen a salmon caught - only tasted them. But from when we arrived it was clear this was special. Jon was in a difficult position. No way upstream and if it went down it was 400 yard+ of rapids to the next slack with no chance of following willows. But he had a small slack at his feet. With binoculars we watched the action and felt massive relief when he eventually worked it into the slack and at third or fourth attempt he netted it.

Once landed he then had the problem of dealing with what was a still a very lively fish. From 80 yards distance I said to my wife that it looked perhaps 35 lbs. It certainly looked massive but his spring balance read 32.5 lbs, which after deducting the weight of the net, gave 30.5 lbs. Brilliant. Am I jealous, yes I am. But Jon deserves this for the time and effort he puts in.

On going back he had to hold the fish for about 5 minutes before it swam quietly away into the deeps.
    Photo and story on the Ross Angling Club website Fantastic fish for Jon Daniels – Ross on Wye Angling Club
    My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing kit for what I said I paid for it.

Fantastic fish Jon. You jammy b*****d!
    So chuffed for you.

Yes indeed fantastic fish -congratulations. What a great river the Wye is.

Thanks everyone. I have calmed down now though didn't sleep much last night - too much of the golden nectar.

Sorry about the photo - the fish deserved better. It was much deeper than the photo suggests.
    But trying to use a mobile camera whilst overexcited I 'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Sean i am really sorry to hear that, have you had habitat work or hatchery work ever on the Avon
    There hasn't really been anything of note......a few small trials a few years ago now.

On a happier note, great to hear of the 30lb fish taken yesterday! Let's hope May will bring a few more fish into the river.

Tight lines,

Sean

Page 54 of 92 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast