Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  985
Page 53 of 93 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Wye 2019

200 fish for May? No I don't think it will happen either Steve
    The situation countrywide exposes the fact that we have no idea of the real problems that are affecting salmon runs. We are overwhelmed with fishery scientists who, lets face it have not really progressed a solution to the problem because we/they don't really know what the problem is. Surely though commonsense would dictate that if most rivers are suffering a similar decline the problem is outside the river systems.One would have hoped that with all the 'improvements' on the Wye we might not be so affected. Remember the headlines 'Back from the brink' ' A sleeping giant stirs' ' Wye bucks the trend' etc etc.
    Well not so apparently as whatever the problem is it is universal. It has to be at sea surely and, bit like supposed climate change if you find out what it is can you actually do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    1100 on redbrook gauge and now dropping very slowly means Wyesham below is too high to stop fish running , not sure why anyone is surprised by the lack of fish all rivers in the UK are saying there are lack of fish , Geoffs put on his blog today 200 fish are required to get numbers somewhere close, i dont see how that is possible with the fish numbers present around the UK , lets face it the Wye and every other river is struggling its not a sole Wye problem, the Hampshire Avon a big spring fish fishery for so many years at the last time i looked had only one fish this season
    Hi Steve
    Think the Avon is on four now!
    If we don't get any fish come in on this weekend's Spring tides, then that is the Spring run pretty much over. According to the fish counter at the bottom of the river, only about twenty fish have gone through since the beginning of February....hopefully the counter isn't too accurate, but the lack of fish being seen or reported suggests that there is a serious decline this season.
    Hope now lies on some Summer fish and a good grilse run.....I'm not holding my breath!
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by HantsAvon View Post
    Hi Steve
    Think the Avon is on four now!
    If we don't get any fish come in on this weekend's Spring tides, then that is the Spring run pretty much over. According to the fish counter at the bottom of the river, only about twenty fish have gone through since the beginning of February....hopefully the counter isn't too accurate, but the lack of fish being seen or reported suggests that there is a serious decline this season.
    Hope now lies on some Summer fish and a good grilse run.....I'm not holding my breath!
    Sean
    Sean i am really sorry to hear that, have you had habitat work or hatchery work ever on the Avon

Quote Originally Posted by fixedspool View Post
    200 fish for May? No I don't think it will happen either Steve
    The situation countrywide exposes the fact that we have no idea of the real problems that are affecting salmon runs. We are overwhelmed with fishery scientists who, lets face it have not really progressed a solution to the problem because we/they don't really know what the problem is. Surely though commonsense would dictate that if most rivers are suffering a similar decline the problem is outside the river systems.One would have hoped that with all the 'improvements' on the Wye we might not be so affected. Remember the headlines 'Back from the brink' ' A sleeping giant stirs' ' Wye bucks the trend' etc etc.
    Well not so apparently as whatever the problem is it is universal. It has to be at sea surely and, bit like supposed climate change if you find out what it is can you actually do anything about it.
    I saw a lot of fish on Sunday pushing through the V in the head of the Riddings pool a great sight but with 110+ miles to disperse into will we see them again , tides building again this weekend hopefully should bring more in, we saw smolts going the other way to not in huge numbers but also didnt see a feb hopefully they have gorged on lead

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    I saw a lot of fish on Sunday pushing through the V in the head of the Riddings pool a great sight but with 110+ miles to disperse into will we see them again , tides building again this weekend hopefully should bring more in, we saw smolts going the other way to not in huge numbers but also didnt see a feb hopefully they have gorged on lead
    We need a lot of fish to stock this river to have any real effect on rod catches. We often hear of runs of fish on the lower beats which fail to materialise to any extent upriver as Steve suggests
    Letís say a thousand fish came in last week. Say 20% of those hole up in beats which are not recognised as good salmon beats or are lightly fished. There are plenty of those up and down the river . That leaves 800.
    Some will not be takers and its suggested that with the methods we are allowed now we only catch between 10/15% of the run at most . Let.s be generous and suggest that leaves us with a possible addition to the rod catch of 120, just over one per mile, which decreases possibly the longer they are in the river uncaught.
    Thing is we have no idea what comes in or out of our river or what happens to them when they do. No idea of the effects of catch and release either in respect of mortality or subsequent egg deposition or of multiple captures and no real idea of what the 'improvements' to our river have achieved. The latter because no one really bothers to evaluate it in any meaningful way.
    On top of that we have an NRW who doesn't care a jot and wishes to restrict us further, a Welsh Government who would like to flood Wales with canoeists and probably will, water companies, poultry sheds and cattle farmers pollute with what seem like immunity and lets not even mention the barbel.
    Hope my maths are correct

30.5 lbs fresh run cock fish caught by Jon Daniels from Ross AC this pm after a very long and hard fight. Jon was fishing a SHFC and had to land it himself while I watched stuck on the opposite bank.
    Last edited by Richardgw; 02-05-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardgw View Post
    30.5 lbs fresh run cock fish caught from Ross AC this pm after a very long and hard fight. Jon was fishing a SHFC and had to land it himself while I watched stuck on the opposite bank.
    Hopefully Jon got a pic well done that man

Quote Originally Posted by Richardgw View Post
    30.5 lbs fresh run cock fish caught from Ross AC this pm after a very long and hard fight. Jon was fishing a SHFC and had to land it himself while I watched stuck on the opposite bank.
    WOW Fantastic. That should cheer everyone up that's for sure. Well done -no mean feat on your own.

Wow, nice post Geoff

Great catch for Jon Daniels, a fish of a lifetime, that's one of the reasons we fish the Wye but in reality its just +1 for May which is now on 4.

Good post from Geoff, just about sums it up. The main cause of the decline on the Wye was never an inriver problem, although I am not saying the inriver is in perfect condition.

Page 53 of 93 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast