Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  530
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wye 2016

Default Wye 2016

Best of luck to all who fish this year. May we further confirm the recovery with another 1,000+ fish.

Amen to that BannSpecial.

Unfortunately the year has started on a down beat with the passing, yesterday of Major General Hopkinson, owner of Bigsweir. Another one of the good guys has moved on.

On behalf of the RWGA can I extend our regards and condolences to his son Charles and his family.

In 2015 WSA successfully expanded our coaching activities to include courses at junior schools, with over 100 children receiving an introduction to fly fishing. These courses are very well received with children, teachers and indeed our coaching assistants alike enjoying the days course hugely.

We are planning to continue this activity this year and in order to support need volunteers to assist in their running. The requirements for these volunteers are enthusiasm and a knowledge of fly fishing plus, and in order to comply with educational authority requirements and indeed our own WSA professionalism, our helpers need a minimum basic set of skills in organising and carrying out training of children.

The Game Angling Instructors Association [GAIA], will be running a two day Assistant Coaching course to provide this training. The course will be in a relaxed and friendly environment and will comprise a number of elements including basic understanding of how to communicate angling skills to children, how to run a course along with a refresher in the single handed casting techniques needed to teach children. It would also deal with any documentation required.

The course will be for people of any age or gender and we would be delighted to hear from anyone interested in participating and subsequently volunteering a few days support to our ongoing 2016+ schools programme.

The course is provided free. However each individual will be required to pay a small sum towards the cost of Child Protection and First Aider documentation. Cost of this will be 20.

The course will be held at Stretton Sugwas School near Hereford on Sat/Sun 27/28th Feb.

If you are interested or wish for more details contact Jerry Oddie at jerryoddie@gmail.com
    Last edited by Stuart Smith; 09-01-2016 at 11:33 AM.

The funeral of Major-General John Hopkinson{late of Bigsweir} will take place on Thursday 21st January 2pm at Belmont Abbey,Hereford, HR2 9RZ.

Sad news indeed and as you say another of the good guys sadly gone , condolences to the Hopkinson family

Let's hope after these storms blast through the uk will have some settled weather and hope the river will go down so we can actually get to fish on March 3rd!
    Last edited by Gillie UB; 01-02-2016 at 06:05 PM.

My GCE ( remember them!) maths skills tell me 31 days and counting.... Bring it on.
    My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing kit for what I said I paid for it.

I'm taking the plunge this year and going to put some effort into to the Wye. I've only been three times in the past. Once in 1984, once each in 2014 and 2015.

I'm going to take a rod on the Wyebank and Courtfield beats having been down to have a look and meet Don today. So, exciting times. Unfortunately with my luck that's probably totally done for the Wye this year. My apologies.

I'm going to be after lots of help, tips and advice guys. Its a very different river to my normal haunts so it will be a steep learning curve.

Roll on 3 March and thanks to Sewin Fly for his advice on the phone.

All the best and keep us all informed on the trips.

Sewinfly. ..............
    Last edited by sewinfly; 04-02-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Default Ross AC.

It's is interesting to note the increase in interest we at Ross AC have experienced this January in anglers joining our Club for the salmon fishing. We have a full book and a short waiting list.

Again this winter we continue to work on the bankside infrastructure. We have done a lot of work clearing fallen willows which as many of you will know will root when they touch down and after many year form an impenetrable jungle preventing access and casting. This is very common up and down this wonderful river.
    Hopefully we will all have a good year on the Wye with continued improvements in the salmon fishing. To whet everyone's appetite I've put a short video on YouTube of Hom Pil at 2 metres falling, cracking bit of water.

Last edited by OURTREV; 03-02-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: grammar
    My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing kit for what I said I paid for it.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast