Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Lightbulb The unique story of the 1939 world record sea trout

This is one of the best true stories attached to a fish capture I have come across, read on! The unique 3/4 block carved wood world record sea trout, weight 19lbs 8 oz, was caught on dry fly from the Laerdal River, Norway in 1939, carved and mounted on a 17 x 45 wooden board. [...]
    The post The unique story of the 1939 world record sea trout appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Read more...

was there not a 20lb seatrout caught on the coquet a few years ago? I have seen a 18.5 pound one landed on the aln, and seen far bigger ones
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

Quote Originally Posted by marty31 View Post
    was there not a 20lb seatrout caught on the coquet a few years ago? I have seen a 18.5 pound one landed on the aln, and seen far bigger ones
    There have been several 30+ lbers caught on the Rio Grande. I think the "record" was of it's time. Modern records don't differentiate between sea and brown trout so I'd guess the record will be 40lb +

Quote Originally Posted by marty31 View Post
    Theres been a few huge ones from the coquet over the years. 2017 had 2 well over 14lb.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think it was a record at the time, in the past.... As a 15 year old school boy i had a 16lb 4oz seatrout off the Cumbrian Irt, two years previous to that (some 30 plus years ago) the English record was open to claim at 15lbs but had been claimed by a fish 20 something pounds off the Avon or Tweed if i remember rightly.
    Last edited by Saint Andrews; 14-06-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

There have been several 20lb+ off the Towy in recent years.

A Yorkshire Esk fish of over 20lbs held the"record" for a while. I have seen some huge seatrout on the Coquet years ago and my mates doubted me and then the 20 odd pounder was caught and vindicated me,

SP8