Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  44
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tuna

Also possible to get bonito in the channel islands

Quote Originally Posted by Rosslinden0 View Post
    Also possible to get bonito in the channel islands

Now bonito on fly (or bass spinning gear) would be quite something... I remember seeing photos of an albacore caught on Chesil beach earlier this year.

My Spanish mate who catches bluefin near Gibraltar takes the view that big tuna are so strong and powerful that fights take hours, even with the right gear. So catch and release is often not possible with big fish as they fight to the death!

The guys running the charter boats to St Kilda talk about the "big ones" and the "little ones" when talking about tuna. That was in a particularly warm and settled summer a few years ago. They had no idea what species the "little ones" were.

guest2938 Guest

Im currently munching into Tuna sandwiches for lunch.

Tasty fish (with mayo and salad cream #@Rrrrr)

DCH

Quote Originally Posted by LouisCha View Post
    Now bonito on fly (or bass spinning gear) would be quite something...
    Yes indeed. I caught a few of them when I was on Nantucket in August some years ago, both on fly and spinning gear, and they're great fun. For fly tackle, we used 10wt single handers and I don't think you'd have wanted to go very much lighter, especially if you want to get them in and back without too protracted a fight.

But they're excellent eating, too!

False albacore are brilliant fun on a 9 or 10 wt rod, floating line and smallish 'fry' patterns. We caught them in Florida up to 14/15 lb. I've also caught smaller 'bonito' in Cuba.

I'd love to fish for blackfin tuna out of Key West - they go up to 30 lb....

Friends have caught longtail tuna in Australia and say they are also a sensible size to target on light-ish tackle.

Small yellowfin are fun too, but the problem is finding a fishery where there are no big ones mixed in.....once they get past about 50 lb they are hard work on a fly rod.

If/when any of these species reach UK waters in fishable numbers I will be there.....

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    False albacore are brilliant fun on a 9 or 10 wt rod, floating line and smallish 'fry' patterns. We caught them in Florida up to 14/15 lb. I've also caught smaller 'bonito' in Cuba.

I'd love to fish for blackfin tuna out of Key West - they go up to 30 lb....

Friends have caught longtail tuna in Australia and say they are also a sensible size to target on light-ish tackle.

Small yellowfin are fun too, but the problem is finding a fishery where there are no big ones mixed in.....once they get past about 50 lb they are hard work on a fly rod.

If/when any of these species reach UK waters in fishable numbers I will be there.....
    Watched a video a while back where a guy hooks a small blackfin on a shimano stradic 4000 and a shakey uglystick spinning rod to show how good the drag is. The thing went off at a huge rate of knots.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Spent a wonderful few months in Los Angeles in 1980. Got a flat on Hermosa beach, very close to Redondo harbour and would fish at least 3 times a week. Apart from Halibut, 'Sea Trout' and Opaleye Perch the harbour held a few of the smaller Tuna species, Spanish Mackerel, Bonito and Yellowtail Tuna. The sea wall was very similar to the dam at Rutland water, stone/concrete blocks and about 3/4 mile long. On one side the sea on the other the harbour.
    There were 3 features there which enhanced the fishing, firstly the bait boat. This held a LOT of live Anchovies/ Sardines and as I discovered too late, live squid. Boats from the harbour venturing out to sea would pick up what livebait they needed. Inevitably there would be some spillages so a lot of Bonito would hang around the area.
    Secondly the pier, a wooden structure with a bait shop/ cafe. This had a livebait tank, you bought a roll of tickets, IIRC a dollar for 20 which were exchanged for a live Anchovy each. Locals used short spinning rods, 25lb ish line and very crude hooks which didn't do much for the bait's life expectancy but were great for winching the 2-4lb Bonito the 20+ft up to the pier deck
    I used a 10 ft carp rod, Mitchell 300 and 10lb line, freelining with sensible hooks. Still enough to land the fish which the (newly arrived Mexican) locals, as they knew after a while I wouldn't keep, would literally pounce on, unhook and bag up. Saw more than one fight.
    The weekly delivery of bait to the shop invariably resulted in a feeding frenzy.
    The third feature was a power station on land immediately behind the harbour from which there was an outlet of the waste cooling water, a boil, as on some of our reservoirs. This obviously raised the temperature and held quite a few Yellowtail (15-20lb). Saw a boat get 3 in about 10 mins on live squid, apparently the only thing that worked for them.
    Anyway, Bonito, caught them all over the harbour mostly on the freelined livebait. Most entertaining was the pier. There were literally millions of baitfish around the pier looking to all intents and purposes like weedbeds waving around the piles. Did a bit of reasearch in the tackle shop and it turned out they were Smelt rather than the Anchovies. In the interest of 'matching the hatch' I asked how to catch them and was given a 'snag gang'. Essentially a minature set of Mackerel feathers, with no feathers, just longshank silvered size 14 hooks. Very effective too and the Smelt were far better baits than the Anchovies, longer lasting and more lively.
    So here we are 20+ feet up with a great view into the crystal clear water. Cast out the freelined Smelt which quickly returns to all its mates waving around in a cloud stretching out about 20 ft.
    That is until a pod of Bonito turn up and all the Smelt vanish under the pier leaving the livebait a Johnny Nomates looking very lonely and frightened.
    Bonito homes in on the bait and more than once I witnessed the bait leaping clear of the water, the Bonito in hot pursuit and this could go on for several leaps and up to 30 yds.
    Eventually the line rushes off the reel, a couple of seconds and tighten into it. First run at least 50 yds, sometimes more, they're very fast and very dogged. I'd say pound for pound they fight harder than Salmon or Sea trout but differently with less jumping.
    One of the popular local methods was a Mackerel feather behind a bubble float so of course I considered fly fishing. Discounted the idea as I could see a minor line tangle resulting in all the rod rings heading towards the tip!
    How different things are today I don't know, could be a way to tangle with a few of the more manageable Tuna in civilization and at minimal expense, from the bank.
    Anyone wanting any further information PM me and I'd be happy to have a chat.
    Last edited by Isisalar; 04-12-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonCurlyHorny View Post
    Im currently munching into Tuna sandwiches for lunch.

Tasty fish (with mayo and salad cream #@Rrrrr)

DCH
    Mayo AND salad cream ? Tuna that's like having gravy and curry on yer chips Tuna

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    Mayo AND salad cream ? Tuna that's like having gravy and curry on yer chips Tuna

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Try it, itl change your life (well in sandwich terms anyway) Tuna

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast