Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've fished down from the old bridge to the new many times but never had a salmon. Sea trout, though, yes. I can't recall fishing it in 'good water', tbh, probably on a pool upstream instead.

Why not ask Malcolm? Can't see why he wouldn't.

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    Part2..0:48 0:56 1:24

Good morning men. Would you mind just standing there while I swing my gun about and shoot your dog and all your legs off!!!!
    I know we cringe at that, but having a gun broken I believe is a reasonably recent ( certainly post WW2) safety habit. My grandfather was a gamekeeper between the wars and told my uncle that in those days a gun was kept closed to avoid anything dropping into the barrels, secondly with driven shooting being the preserve of gentleman, there was usually a loader who held all the cartridges.....and the guns (pair) .so the gun himself had nowt to stuff in there and rarely posed with the gun unless for a camera!

I'm sure I've read something in shooting times that basically said similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    I know we cringe at that, but having a gun broken I believe is a reasonably recent ( certainly post WW2) safety habit. My grandfather was a gamekeeper between the wars and told my uncle that in those days a gun was kept closed to avoid anything dropping into the barrels, secondly with driven shooting being the preserve of gentleman, there was usually a loader who held all the cartridges.....and the guns (pair) .so the gun himself had nowt to stuff in there and rarely posed with the gun unless for a camera!

Often beaters got shot too.Bad luck if you got in the way of a grouse that was flying down the line of butts..
    Duck or Grouse!!!!
    "What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

Jack Hargreaves OBE (31 December 191115 March 1994)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post

You may perhaps be right about keeping the gun broken, but being careful about where you pointed it isn't anything new. "Never never let your gun pointed be at anyone" was written before 1902, apparently. And even though the author might have been reckoned a gentleman (being an Old Etonian MP and landowner), he was certainly aware of the perils "when a hedge or fence you cross", so I think we can conclude that he was accustomed to carrying his own loaded gun.

Do you know a guy called Mike Reed by any chance. Lives at a place called South Lochs??
    Hi S.G. Yes once 20 years ago and once was enough!!?? I spent 30 odd year fishing all over lewis so I met most people involved with anything to do with fishing. Happy days.
    Langavat.

Quote Originally Posted by langavat View Post
    Yes once 20 years ago and once was enough!!??
    What happened..I'd love to know??
    Last edited by simon grace; 17-03-2017 at 08:05 AM.
    "What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

Jack Hargreaves OBE (31 December 191115 March 1994)

Quote Originally Posted by Roag Fisher View Post
    Could not have been me in the movie Paul as I wear Nora wellies.
    I thought you were an ecky thump brand man

Default M r

Do you know a guy called Mike Reed by any chance. Lives at a place called South Lochs??
    You have a PM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12