Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Default Wild Northumbrian browns.

Well when the rivers to big to fish itís always worth a bash on the burns for me it sure beats stocky bashing , the fish are small but so are there living conditions and there can be the chance of a larger fish or even maybe a sea trout.
    To wet and windy for drys we opted for two wets , kate mclarens on the dropper and a jungle bunny on point and going through the box later on ! a 7ft 4# rod is all you need.
    We set out walking across fells that are a very rough walk to get to some decent water , I had Jodie as a Gilly with the net which turned out to be a blessing as I had two fish jump out the water and then hook them selfs in the grass on the opposite bank! But we had a good morning with a dozen or so fish In challenging casting conditions and only managed to fall down a few holes !
    Attached Images Attached Images acf68964-0e40-405b-b6fb-e32892b2a800-jpeg 0abc4552-102c-425f-a920-ebee86af9a4f-jpeg decdab46-b05f-418d-98a2-a1fddc6e4b12-jpeg 

Good fun catching wild brownies on the fly. Cow green res is meant to be good sport for the wild browns too, they arent big but plenty of them and they scrap like mad. Its been on my list to fish for a while but not got around to it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

There is definitely some bigger browns in the reservoirs and barely fished for.. we stopped at catclough a few months back and there was some very nice fish rising.
    Iíve had sea trout in that burn but never landed them! I have had 3lb + wild brownies in some of the forest ponds but they are very hard to catch... I do think they could possibly be sea trout that have not gone back to sea though to get that big.

Great post, Used to love fishing the burns above Kielder when I lived in the village.
    Wild browns a great fighters for their size.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reminds me of fishing my local beck as a youngster and also a few small streams in Assynt on the way up to fish some lochs.

A 10 inch fish seems huge in those small streams.