Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Took a Greys GR70 9í #5 and my own reel and line out onto a casting platform on a rather swollen river and was, simply, knocked out by the performance of the rod. Light as a feather, pencil-slum butt and all the reserve of power needed to put out 20yds+ of WF5 effortlessly.

Build and cosmetics really nice and a very functional double-locking skeleton reel seat.

It just reinforced my previous view of Greys rods and the great value when you stack them up against American rods costing twice and three times as much.
    Last edited by John Keane; 04-04-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Try to get a cast of the Onki.........
    "Go easy...step tight...stay free".

Quote Originally Posted by tynelobster View Post
    Try to get a cast of the Onki.........
    Well I bought the Greys so I wonít be auditioning any more rods. The Onki is probably great but the cosmetics are bad. I really donít like funny-coloured rods. I also had a look at a Sage Pulse but passed on it for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    Well I bought the Greys so I wonít be auditioning any more rods. The Onki is probably great but the cosmetics are bad. I really donít like funny-coloured rods. I also had a look at a Sage Pulse but passed on it for the same reason.
    the cosmetics are marmite without a doubt but close your eyes and have a cast ........sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by tynelobster View Post
    the cosmetics are marmite without a doubt but close your eyes and have a cast ........sometime.
    Nothing against Greys btw

Default new rod

[QUOTE=John Keane;1057140]At present I donít fish for trout much but have a Vision Keeper 9í #5 rod that I use with an Orvis Clearwater LA reel and a Snowbee XS WF5. This is great on rivers but I also fish a small private lake where we tend to fish from anchored boats. The problem is that the Keeper rod is great for up to 15yds but if a fish rises farther off and you try to go 20+ yds the rod folds up.

So I want a faster 9í #5 or, as the Snowbee line has a long head (42.5ft), I could try out a 9í6Ē #6 rod with it. Iíve used the Snowbee XS lines ever since they came out as the Prestige and I think itís the best line Iíve ever used.

Budget is up to £200 and Iíve seen a Hardy Shadow Mk1 9í6Ē on sale for £199 and itís the kind of shop where I can take rods out on the local river to try.

So, finally, any thoughts on a 9í or 9í6Ē rod in that price bracket that will suit my needs?

I use a Shimano lesath 7 foot. 7 to 30g. other variations of length available
    Shimano stradic reel
    Shimano Lesath CX Spinning Rod

Rod type: Spinning
    Lengths: 2.59m or 2.7m
    Actions: M - MH - H XH
    Blank material: HPC400LRC & Biofibre
    Reel seat: Shimano Custom Aluminium
    Guide type: Fuji Titanium Torzite K-type
    Grip: Power Cork
    Packaging: Cloth bag & hardcase tube
    had an ugly stick 30 year still got it
    Last edited by davyd; 21-06-2018 at 11:17 AM.

I was fishing for salmon and steelhead in Washington State last year when my Sage one 9' 8# snapped. I went to Red's fly shop (see above video was taken there) and bought a Redington Vice. To be honest: despite it is a bit heavier, it has pretty much the same action like the Sage one...

[QUOTE=davyd;1073830]
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    At present I donít fish for trout much but have a Vision Keeper 9í #5 rod that I use with an Orvis Clearwater LA reel and a Snowbee XS WF5. This is great on rivers but I also fish a small private lake where we tend to fish from anchored boats. The problem is that the Keeper rod is great for up to 15yds but if a fish rises farther off and you try to go 20+ yds the rod folds up.

So I want a faster 9í #5 or, as the Snowbee line has a long head (42.5ft), I could try out a 9í6Ē #6 rod with it. Iíve used the Snowbee XS lines ever since they came out as the Prestige and I think itís the best line Iíve ever used.

Budget is up to £200 and Iíve seen a Hardy Shadow Mk1 9í6Ē on sale for £199 and itís the kind of shop where I can take rods out on the local river to try.

So, finally, any thoughts on a 9í or 9í6Ē rod in that price bracket that will suit my needs?

I use a Shimano lesath 7 foot. 7 to 30g. other variations of length available
    Shimano stradic reel
    Shimano Lesath CX Spinning Rod

Rod type: Spinning
    Lengths: 2.59m or 2.7m
    Actions: M - MH - H XH
    Blank material: HPC400LRC & Biofibre
    Reel seat: Shimano Custom Aluminium
    Guide type: Fuji Titanium Torzite K-type
    Grip: Power Cork
    Packaging: Cloth bag & hardcase tube
    had an ugly stick 30 year still got it
    Just had a look back at this thread and had a chuckle at being recommended a 7ft spinning rod when looking for a #5 fly rod!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123